1 (edited by Curby 2022-04-10 21:23:33)

Topic: The Main Squeeze

Stumbled across this band from near my hometown that is similar in both the band make up and soulful tunes (Durand Jones and the Indications).  TMS, however, are more rock and jazz than Durand's band. 

Anyway listening to their new album I was quickly drawn to their guitarist.  On some songs his playing is restrained but on others the playing is breathtaking...from David Gilmour to Eddie Hazel.  I'll try to find some vids to add on, but first I'll attach a vid of the band playing a George Harrison song. 
I hope some of you give it a listen and then check out their music.

https://youtu.be/GwOaBb_0Umc

Another cover, but the guitar solo is beyond awesome.  Think Joe would take notice of this kid.

https://youtu.be/8R6StQfLNbw

Off their new album: To Be Continued.

https://youtu.be/slvWzLhJGv0

Another song off the new album.  This is the one that got my attention first with an obvious homage to Eddie Hazel and Funkadellic's "Maggot Brain."  Good stuff and very trippy.

https://youtu.be/GR7HaIYemLk?list=OLAK5 … A274QE2Dvw

2 (edited by Curby 2022-04-11 01:07:23)

Re: The Main Squeeze

Found this great cover too that showcases all the band and reveals a tremendously talented group of musicians.
Like the others I've found this song borders on being better than the original by Michael Jackson.
None of the cover videos are in their catalogue which is unfortunate.
I plan to see them in August in Fishers, Indiana.  My step son lives nearby and I hope to drag them to the show.  Just can't believe the talent here and in my own backyard.  IU's music school is world famous and I'm sure these guys had some training there.

https://youtu.be/ko5roiJR8EY?list=RDEM3 … x7t1bYha2A

Look forward to a full root around based on what I've just heard...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

Look forward to a full root around based on what I've just heard...

I’ve bought 3 albums already and the new one, To Be Continued, will most likely be my favorite for this year.

After listening to all the incredible covers on YouTube I came to the conclusion everyone in the band can bring it big time.
This translates in their original music as well.  I’d suggest giving their self-titled first album a serious listen.  Obviously the guitarist is one of the best I’ve ever heard, but the drummer and bass player are so, so good together.  Can’t forget the phenomenal keyboardist either and the singer can sing with the best I’ve come across.

Totally agree with the assessment of the band - wonder if they ever toured over here as they seem to have been around for a while.

As for their albums, either I need to review my hard-line stance against downloads or I need a bigger shovel to keep digging round. So far, only found their 2012 album (with the huge fridge door full of oranges) which comes in on Amazon at $235.....

6 (edited by ahsmith33 2022-04-12 10:03:48)

I do like them a lot, very talented all around. They will play here in Birmingham on May 4 at Ghost Train Brewing Company located in the Avondale area. I hope to make it but will just have to wait and see. I can't see very well to drive at night, and have very bad legs and feet from osteoarthritis. My son would have to take me, will lean heavily on him to get us there

They will also be at the Bonnaroo Music Festival on June 16 at Manchester TN

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

ahsmith33 wrote:

I do like them a lot, very talented all around. They will play here in Birmingham on May 4 at Ghost Train Brewing Company located in the Avondale area. I hope to make it but will just have to wait and see. I can't see very well to drive at night, and have very bad legs and feet from osteoarthritis. My son would have to take me, will lean heavily on him to get us there

They will also be at the Bonnaroo Music Festival on June 16 at Manchester TN

I feel for you Tres on going to concerts with physical disabilities.  TMS is playing this Saturday in Bloomington (about 90 minutes from my driveway).
I’ll have to pass on that one and try later when they come to Indianapolis.  We can stay at my step son’s house nearby.
Got a balky leg at the moment.  It’s a pain getting old.

BansheeUK wrote:

Totally agree with the assessment of the band - wonder if they ever toured over here as they seem to have been around for a while.

As for their albums, either I need to review my hard-line stance against downloads or I need a bigger shovel to keep digging round. So far, only found their 2012 album (with the huge fridge door full of oranges) which comes in on Amazon at $235.....

Check your mailbox Mike.  I can’t believe cds going that high.  I’ve put together a good playlist you’ll like.

This song was originally on the first album, but this recording is off their very nice Live Volume 2 album.
"Where Do We Go" features the Keyboardist and he doesn't disappoint.

https://youtu.be/ZlX3gfTBiYY

just Wow, renders me speechless. This may well be your best find ever Curby

Curby wrote:

This song was originally on the first album, but this recording is off their very nice Live Volume 2 album.

ahsmith33 wrote:

just Wow, renders me speechless. This may well be your best find ever Curby

Curby wrote:

Thanks!  I’m just killing time waiting on my wife taking care of her Mom.
I looked up their videos and it’s voluminous.

I found one of the more interesting covers that doesn’t feature Max Newman on guitar, but rather an occasional accompanying musician.  100% bada$$!  The singer really underscores his range on this excellent version of “Jealous Guy”.  Lennon woulda loved this.

https://jambands.com/news/2021/12/22/wa … alous-guy/

12 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-04-14 08:18:36)

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Check your mailbox Mike.  I can’t believe cds going that high.  I’ve put together a good playlist you’ll like.

You're a star!!!

Had a bit more of a look around, and Main Squeeze fans must be incredibly loyal and don't often part with Cds. The album I mentioned earlier is available via Amazon,com at "only" $106, but would sting me $40 for postage. Though it's not all bad news, there's a 2016 album at $20, but the postage is way more than double that - guess it comes via Jeff Bezos' rocket... Odd though, nothing via Ebay, unless I go title by title.

13 (edited by Curby 2022-04-17 21:27:03)

Despite my worry yesterday, I was able to see The Main Squeeze last night in Bloomington.
The Bluebird Nightclub is where it all began for TMS as they formerly attended IU.  This was in 2012.
Since then they've evolved tremendously as a tight knit group.  After seeing a lot of videos of them playing, I've got to say these guys can really play at a level not often seen by me.

I can't write reviews like others here (BansheeUK), so I'll just focus on 4 highlights of the show.  They started the show off with a bombastic version of "Two Steps" that set the table for what was to follow.  Next came my favorite song of theirs, "Where Do We Go" that really showcased the entire band.  Next song up was the rockin' "I'll Take Another" which introduced the crowd to guitarist Max Newman.  Later they played "Sun Goes Down" off their new album which live is more fleshed out than the studio version.  This song would make George Clinton cry as it pays tribute to Eddie Hazel of Funkadellic.  The last song I'll mention was an obscure cover (for me) of The Foo Fighters' "My Hero."  Like everything else the song was played with strong emotion.

As I was leaving I talked with a crew member of the band and he said before covid they did two shows in London.  Both sold out.  I mentioned to remember Newcastle when they go back.

Thought I'd show a video of their lead off song.  Pretty impressive with the Edgar Winterish duel between Smiley (on keys) and Max (guitar).

https://youtu.be/c5qTyc2BIVQ

Curby wrote:

Despite my worry yesterday, I was able to see The Main Squeeze last night in Bloomington.
The Bluebird Nightclub is where it all began for TMS as they formerly attended IU.  This was in 2012.
Since then they've evolved tremendously as a tight knit group.  After seeing a lot of videos of them playing, I've got to say these guys can really play at a level not often seen by me.

I can't write reviews like others here (BansheeUK), so I'll just focus on 4 highlights of the show.  They started the show off with a bombastic version of "Two Steps" that set the table for what was to follow.  Next came my favorite song of theirs, "Where Do We Go" that really showcased the entire band.  Next song up was the rockin' "I'll Take Another" which introduced the crowd to guitarist Max Newman.  Later they played "Sun Goes Down" off their new album which live is more fleshed out than the studio version.  This song would make George Clinton cry as it pays tribute to Eddie Hazel of Funkadellic.  The last song I'll mention was an obscure cover (for me) of The Foo Fighters' "My Hero."  Like everything else the song was played with strong emotion.

As I was leaving I talked with a crew member of the band and he said before covid they did two shows in London.  Both sold out.  I mentioned to remember Newcastle when they go back.

Really pleased to see that you managed to get to the show, and that it matched (or exceeded) expectations.

And thanks for dropping the "Newcastle" hint too; I've already put a "heads-up" on Facebook to several local promoters I know.

My Hero is one of my favs from The Colour and the Shape, my kids just loved that album. I'll Take Another is really great but I have yet to hear Sun Goes Down. I will look for it today. I can hardly wait for May 4 when they come here. Whatever the set list is I won't have any objections ............ thanks for the review

17 (edited by Curby 2022-04-20 05:43:16)

ahsmith33 wrote:

My Hero is one of my favs from The Colour and the Shape, my kids just loved that album. I'll Take Another is really great but I have yet to hear Sun Goes Down. I will look for it today. I can hardly wait for May 4 when they come here. Whatever the set list is I won't have any objections ............ thanks for the review

Tres - I forgot to mention I picked up a thumb drive of their music at the show.  They only had one cd for sale.  When you go in May get one for yourself.  I've got a good set of Sony headphones that puts me in a special place listening to the band.  The drive has all their music, studio and live.  There's also a bunch of covers which are not available in their catalog.  Got the whole Red Rock concert.  A great purchase and highly recommended.

One last update for the TMS thread….

I accidentally stumbled onto a whole new group of songs by TMS under the name Squeeze House.  They’re mostly covers they’ve put on YouTube.  These remakes are all well done considering the talent of this band.  I bet the original bands/artists would be proud to sit in with the band on their songs.
I looked this stuff up and nothing is on Vinyl or CD, only MP3.  I occasionally buy cds but prefer downloading or just listening to streaming music on my computer.  I’ve got a McIntosh amplifier with Bose 901 speakers and a Yamaha turntable, but it’s just collecting dust.  Guess I just got lazy on this road called life.
Like I said before I plan to see the band again in Fishers in August.