Re: Joe's Gibson Goldtop

Yeah there was a run of 300, i'm not sure when though. Those are the ones that has JB 1-300 on the back of the headstock. Adrian I agree with you. I had my epiphone les paul for awhile but now that I have Joe's studio I feel even more motivated to practice and do it justice!

Erin, glad Joe let you know which it was.  Pretty cool.  When you are feeling confident do a video to share with us here.  We love watching you young ones excel....

edragoo wrote:

Oh how cool Devan! I woud love to have one of the 300 that's sweet! Yeah I do play! It's actually been about a year now that i've been practicing and such, which seems crazy cause it feels like yesterday I was asking my brother to teach me how to play a song. Time really does fly. I love the guitar, I feel like I don't do it enough justice half the time cause it has Joe's name on it and I feel like anything with Joe's name on it should be played with the highest caliber. But, I am learning and will get there eventually. smile

If you keep on going you will get better and that and enjoying whatever stage you are at is all there is to it.

edragoo wrote:

Oh how cool Devan! I woud love to have one of the 300 that's sweet! Yeah I do play! It's actually been about a year now that i've been practicing and such, which seems crazy cause it feels like yesterday I was asking my brother to teach me how to play a song. Time really does fly. I love the guitar, I feel like I don't do it enough justice half the time cause it has Joe's name on it and I feel like anything with Joe's name on it should be played with the highest caliber. But, I am learning and will get there eventually. smile

If a particular guitar *inspires* you to play, then that is a huge part of things right there!  It is easy to become discouraged when you have a guitar that plays badly or that you don't feel like picking up.  However, every guitarist has at least one guitar that the love to look at, pick up and play and as long as you have got that, you have got the motivation and reason enough to keep improving your playing.

Keep at it.  I've never understood the old adage that beginner guitarists need cheap guitars to start on.  Play whichever guitar pulls your heartstrings.  Sounds like your JB Studio *means* something to you, and that is fantastic.

Don't worry about the playing level you are at - The beauty of the guitar is that you can choose to what level you want to play at.  Some people are perfectly happy just banging out 3 chords around a camp fire sing along, and some people strive to play killer shred solos in front of 10000 people.  It's all good.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Thanks for the kind comment Devan! It's so true what you said, now that I have Joe's guitar i'm more motivated to become better. I will definitely have that one until forever! I never picked up the guitar to become famous or play in front of an audience. I think it was more so a challenge I could set for myself to see if I could accomplish it. So far so good. Now I don't know if i'll ever get to Joe's playing caliber, but just being able to play along with some of his songs now makes me feel accomplished! I have a long wy to go though! smile

Devan wrote:
edragoo wrote:

If a particular guitar *inspires* you to play, then that is a huge part of things right there!  It is easy to become discouraged when you have a guitar that plays badly or that you don't feel like picking up.  However, every guitarist has at least one guitar that the love to look at, pick up and play and as long as you have got that, you have got the motivation and reason enough to keep improving your playing.

Keep at it.  I've never understood the old adage that beginner guitarists need cheap guitars to start on.  Play whichever guitar pulls your heartstrings.  Sounds like your JB Studio *means* something to you, and that is fantastic.

Don't worry about the playing level you are at - The beauty of the guitar is that you can choose to what level you want to play at.  Some people are perfectly happy just banging out 3 chords around a camp fire sing along, and some people strive to play killer shred solos in front of 10000 people.  It's all good.

24 (edited by drivers1959 2021-01-21 15:14:52)

Devan wrote:

Congratulations!!  Good score.  The original 300 are fairly difficult to find, and their value seems to keep going up!

What number is yours?

I may be wrong, but I think all the original 300 had the 'typed' name on the truss rod cover.  But I'm sure Joe will sign that one for you if you get to meet him! :D

I have #34

25 (edited by drivers1959 2021-02-28 15:23:04)

edragoo wrote:

Thanks for the info guys! I looked up the serial numbers on the original 300 and most of them are number JB1-300? The number on mine is 108311367 so i'm doubting it's the original run of 300. It's a little confusing trying to figure out what model I have. I know mine is not aged also. Going to keep digging to see what I can find. I appreciate the comments!!

I'm sorry to say that your serial number is a production model and not the custom shop model
The Gibson custom shop Goldtop model's headstock says BONAMASSA and listed below that is the serial number ..mine is a C/S relic model, I have 034

The amount of tones Joe got out of his LP,made me buy one, haha.
I always saw them as a one trick pony, only capable of blues/rock-ish sounds.
Now I am more than happy with it!

VisualSound wrote:

The amount of tones Joe got out of his LP,made me buy one, haha.
I always saw them as a one trick pony, only capable of blues/rock-ish sounds.
Now I am more than happy with it!

You can play anything on a Goldtop, believe me.