1 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-01-27 08:23:51)

Topic: Cathal Murphy

One of those “bolts from the blue” happened on Saturday night over at Hartlepool. Sandwiched between the jubilant rocking of Liverpool’s Jupiter Blues Band and the more studied, but equally explosive Ariel Posen came this slight young Irishman Cathal Murphy who just possessed this sort of quiet authority,  which, during a short 5 or 6 number set managed to control the room at Hartlepool Supporters.

Here’s what Bandcamp have to say about him:-
Cathal Murphy is a Belfast-based singer-songwriter who blends soulful vocals with expressive song writing and uplifting guitar.Part pop, part blues – Cathal’s style is one of reds and yellows. The young musician’s love of blues can be instantly identified in his music. His songs champion clever, intuitive acoustic and electric guitar solos which allow his undeniable instrumental skill to shine.Echoes of the soulful skills of Stevie Ray Vaughan are paired with modern, alternative-pop synth sounds to create upbeat, emotive tracks that have a weight behind them.
Hailing from Camlough, near Newry, Cathal has been raised on Irish traditional music – a passion passed down through his family from his Great Grandad. From playing in the living room to concerts at local venues, Cathal’s upbringing was punctuated with unforgettable live music. He began playing at 8 years old and by 10, was a national champion.Cathal plays and writes as part of contemporary Irish folk group Cuig, recording two albums and touring across Europe and the US. One of the tracks, ‘Carry On’, was used by Aer Lingus on an online advert and has racked up more than 650,000 views.
At just 20 years old, Cathal is now going out on his own, relishing the freedom to express himself through his thoughtful, personal songwriting and uplifting guitar playing. Cathal writes his songs as if he was playing to an empty room. His writing shows an innate ability to project a range and depth of feeling, in a way that is frank and imaginative.Drawing on his love for blues, Cathal performs live in a trio format. The expressive energy of his live show is immediate, with the band able to improvise and make the audience feel something different every single time they play.

The folk roots, I didn’t know about, but they are apparent when you hear him and don’t forget, Pat McManus came through from Mama’s Boys years ago after he and his brothers dominated the irish Folk scene some 40 years ago. As for the rest, take it from me, it's not just hype,  this is a talented, engaging young man who's going to make a big mark.

These clips are the band, Cuig (Cathal on persussion), modern twist on Irish folk -
Patient Zero - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … e=emb_logo
New landscapes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUod35g0MM

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Cathal Murphy

From the tour with Ariel Posen, Cathal in Leicester, 3rd Feb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUCIWzgaqE

BansheeUK wrote:

From the tour with Ariel Posen, Cathal in Leicester, 3rd Feb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUCIWzgaqE

I like this song and artist.  Reminds me a bit of Tom Misch only Cathal sings better.
Nice little song.
The Irish band is good but not quite my cup of tea.  I could see them being an acquired taste.
It's really rare we disagree on people we're passionate about. 
I don't know where my fellow r&b/soul lovers on this site have disappeared.  First there was zero interest in The Teskey Brothers and now Durand Jones & The Indications.

I  know what you mean, I wouldn't put trad Irish music at the  top of my genres, but always like a change, especially when it's done this good. And I think Cathal is trying to break out and enough to impress the likes of Ariel Posen.

I've no problem whether we agree of disagree, at least we listen and learn.

I will get round to Durand Jones, amongst others I've been given the nod about but either I'm getting  more work or someone is pinching an hour out my day...

BansheeUK wrote:

I  know what you mean, I wouldn't put trad Irish music at the  top of my genres, but always like a change, especially when it's done this good. And I think Cathal is trying to break out and enough to impress the likes of Ariel Posen.

I've no problem whether we agree of disagree, at least we listen and learn.

I will get round to Durand Jones, amongst others I've been given the nod about but either I'm getting  more work or someone is pinching an hour out my day...

I no longer have that problem Mike! smile  I've got Ariel Posen's album and one of Troy Redfern's but his new one is not available here yet. 

OT.  I have penned two separate posts about the evolution of music formats, but they won't send.  Idk if someone is censuring me, but i wanted to bring up streaming music which I've really embraced.

Curby wrote:

I no longer have that problem Mike! smile  I've got Ariel Posen's album and one of Troy Redfern's but his new one is not available here yet.

Troy's new album becomes generally available from  26th Feb I think.  Or; I'll be catching him supporting Wille & The Bandits on 6th March and I'll be happy to get you a signed one from the  man himself (but you'll have to update me of your post details).

7 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-09-29 12:10:48)

Ashington - White House Social Club - 28th Sept. 2022

Not long back home from another superb gig at Ashington's White House, which is best described as an "artist's venue".

A couple of years back, pre-pandemic, I caught a showing by this young guy, and while his style has more jazzy leanings than bluesy, you could see he crackled with a sort of energy.

So, 2 years on, he has 2 credible EPs to his name, the most recent produced by his mentor Ariel Posen and a song on the soundtrack to Amazon Prime's movie, The Reavey Brothers: the song is called Ever Since We Wete Young and we were treated to it this evening, along with a brand new (released this coming Friday) Overworked Underpaid. . And as a treat, Cathal also added a favourite cover of his, Amy Whitehouse's Love Is A Losing Game.
I'll drop some video in later, but I am so glad to see that Cathal is really growing into a fine frontman and artist of future note.

Ever Since We Were Young (promo) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqWvY9BazE
Liliac Eyes (acoustic) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70rY-T3ehvs
Blue In The Best Way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGT-Wsi6zzc