1 (edited by Curby 2019-12-01 00:21:37)

Topic: Album Favorites For 2019

2019 has been a fairly quiet year for truly standout releases.  For blues recordings it has been rather spotty in my opinion.
I'd put KWS's The Traveler and Kingfish's first album at the top.  Just below that is a darn good second album by The Teskey Brothers', Run Home Slow.  Kenny is the seasoned pro, Christone at 20, is just scratching the surface of his talent and someone to watch closely, and TTB are such a great soulful band.

Oddly the three best albums I heard this year all came out either last year, or isn't remotely a blues type album.
1. Tom Misch - Geography
2.  Jordan Rakei - Origin
3.  Parker Millsap - Other Arrangments

None of these are typical nominations I've put out in the past.  All three of these guys are around 25 years old and it gives me pleasure that present day music is in safe hands.

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-12-02 10:07:31)

Re: Album Favorites For 2019

Usually do this just after Christmas, but I can't think of anything new I'm expecting between now and then, so here goes.

Like you Curby, most of my new stuff has veered away from "mainstream" Blues fare, dabbling more in Americana or "Anglicana" if it's this side of the pond. Mainly because I'm finding a lot of the Blues regulars a little stale and my tastes are drifting. That said, in the Blues pond, the following for me have made some big ripples in 2019:-

Jon Amor - Colour In The Sky
Elles Bailey - The Road I call Home
Joanne Shaw Taylor - Reckless Heart
Rebecca Downes - More Sinner Than Saint
Kenny wayne Shepherd - The Traveller
Christone "Kingfish"   - Kinfish
Beau Gris Gris - Love & Murder
Eric Tessmer - EP2
Kris Barras - Light It Up
Eddie Martin - Thirst
My Top Pick - Blues - Jack J Hutchinson - Who Feeds The Wolf

Non-Blues (Americana, Alt Country, Anglicana etc):-
Lucy Zirins - Unfound
Ariel Posen - How Long
Chrissie Hynde - Valve Bone Woe (I know, it's a Jazz album, but bold genre change after 40years plus)
Richard Hawley - Further
Bros Landreth - '87
Top pick - Joey Landreth - Hindsight

Live albums:-
Chantel McGregor - Bury'd Alive
Curse of Lono - 4am & Counting
Rufus Black - Live

Totally agree about Parker Millsap, can't get a physical copy of Tom Misch and I don't listen to downloads, so that's the only reason why he's missing here.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Eric Gales' "The Bookends" is my pick for album of the year.  Love it.

4 (edited by gary 2019-12-03 19:55:51)

The list was harder than usual this year. Mainly because large number I would say all kinda lumped together.
1) Rival Sons.Feral Roots. My favorite from them top to bottom.
2) No Good Deed Mindi Abair.Excellent  all around singer and sax player. Great band behind her and some songs that make you want to listen over and over.
3) Eric Gales Bookends. He still like to mix things up as of late. Not just a guitar workout.
4) Matt Pearce and the Mutiny Gotta  Get Home.Dont know where he came from but love the songs so much that I had it in my short list of my rotation since I heard it.
5) Electric Mary.  Mother. Old school hard rock band. When you just want to rock. Bring it on!
5) Santana Africa Speaks. The next in line after the reunion and Santana IV.Carlos  doesn’t disappoint as he still can jam that guitar. Mixes in African music with the familiar Santana sound.
6)Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown Truth and Lies. For whatever reason his past albums never held my attention long.For me this is a huge step up. Outstanding
7) Eric  Tessmer 2  An EP  and it’s all good
8) Kingfish  Rookie of the year. His first album knocks it out of the park! Can’t wait to see what he does next
9)JD Simo Off At 11. He really shows off his skills on this one! A ton of jamming. If you want a lot of long extended guitar solos than this fits the bill.
10) KWS The Traveler. Another fine album.
Not overall as good as Lay it on Down. Still high quality blues rock
11) Burning Bright Laura Cox
  New to me.She can rock it as good as about anyone.
12)Altered Five Blues Band Charmed and Dangerous Rowdy bar  blues  great songs and tight band
13) Ally Venable Texas Honey Young blues lady with some tough grit
14) Caleb Johnson Born From Southern Ground. I don’t follow  the idol show. I heard he was a winner a short time ago
Surprisingly good Southern Rock
15) Walter Trout Survivor Blues
A covers album.I am trending away from covers albums but He makes them his own and as always does it up first class Trout style
   So these were what I primarily had on the playlist the most all year.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

5) Santana Africa Speaks. The next in line after the reunion and Santana IV.  Carlos  doesn’t disappoint as he still can jam that guitar. Mixes in African music with the familiar Santana sound.

Oops, I overlooked that one. I really liked it as well, it's a great album.

ZeyerGTR wrote:
gary wrote:

5) Santana Africa Speaks. The next in line after the reunion and Santana IV.  Carlos  doesn’t disappoint as he still can jam that guitar. Mixes in African music with the familiar Santana sound.

Oops, I overlooked that one. I really liked it as well, it's a great album.

When I do these lists I always remember something later I should  have included!
Did you like IV ? I really like what they did on that album as bringing the old band back together after such a long time.
I am such a huge early Santana fan.

Your rock candy baby

7 (edited by murfdog 2019-12-06 23:01:25)

I was wondering when this topic would surface, so here goes. This was a great year for the Blues and Rock and Roll
1. Gary Clark Jr.- "This Land". This disc is 17 songs of every Blues and Soul variation, and it's incredible. There are some great discs this year, but this one for me, is number one with a bullet! In my opinion, this is one of the best albums of the decade.
2. Walter Trout- "Survivior Blues". Another Great Blues album of lesser known covers, that Walter dug up. What a solid piece of work. I saw him Live 2 nights ago, and he blew the roof off the place, and then signed stuff for everyone...Stand up dude, and one of best guitarists ever.
3. Raconteurs- "Help us Stranger" I love Jack White. I love this band ! This is a great Rock pop record with a genius at the helm. I saw these guys last night in concert, and they spent 90 minutes in a frenzy with the crowd of 1500 rabid fans all freaking out !!!
4. Terry Robb. "Confessin" my Dues" This nationally known John Fahey disciple is a master blues guitarist, and easily the best guitarist I have ever seen. Finger picking to blow your mind. This release is one of his best ever. See him Live if you can!!!
5. Black Keys "Let's Rock" Another great little fun Rock pop outing from an excellent band.Have fun with this one. Nothing too serious here...Let's just Rock! catchy , catchy, catchy
6. Tool "Fear Inoculum" Ummm..Its Tool and that's about all I need to say. Epic massive prog rock symphonies
7. Neil Young "Colorado" This disc renews Neil's relationship with Crazy Horse in a slightly less loud nature than normal. Neil is still brilliant old and cantankerous and his dry wit, when applied well, just makes you smile, and feedback is good too !
8. Rival Sons- "Feral Roots" Okay, just because this shows up at number 8, doesn't mean it"s just okay, no, quite the opposite. There are just a lot of good discs this year. Definitely hands down, the best hard rock album of 2019. You can keep your Greta Van Fleet. This is the real "Best Rock band out there" by a mile.
9.Collective Soul- "Blood" They lost Joel Kosche , and this disc isn't quite as catchy as normal, but it Rocks, and these guys are just so steast….Great American Rock band!
10. Joe Jackson "Fool" His best effort in a few years. Still a great songwriter with a great acerbic wit and a sneer,

Murfdog

murfdog wrote:

I was wondering when this topic would surface, so here goes. This was a great year for the Blues and Rock and Roll
1. Gary Clark Jr.- "This Land". This disc is 17 songs of every Blues and Soul variation, and it's incredible. There are some great discs this year, but this one for me, is number one with a bullet! In my opinion, this is one of the best albums of the decade.
2. Walter Trout- "Survivior Blues". Another Great Blues album of lesser known covers, that Walter dug up. What a solid piece of work. I saw him Live 2 nights ago, and he blew the roof off the place, and then signed stuff for everyone...Stand up dude, and one of best guitarists ever.
3. Raconteurs- "Help us Stranger" I love Jack White. I love this band ! This is a great Rock pop record with a genius at the helm. I saw these guys last night in concert, and they spent 90 minutes in a frenzy with the crowd of 1500 rabid fans all freaking out !!!
4. Terry Robb. "Confessin" my Dues" This nationally known John Fahey disciple is a master blues guitarist, and easily the best guitarist I have ever seen. Finger picking to blow your mind. This release is one of his best ever. See him Live if you can!!!
5. Black Keys "Let's Rock" Another great little fun Rock pop outing from an excellent band.Have fun with this one. Nothing too serious here...Let's just Rock! catchy , catchy, catchy
6. Tool "Fear Inoculum" Ummm..Its Tool and that's about all I need to say. Epic massive prog rock symphonies
7. Neil Young "Colorado" This disc renews Neil's relationship with Crazy Horse in a slightly less loud nature than normal. Neil is still brilliant old and cantankerous and his dry wit, when applied well, just makes you smile, and feedback is good too !
8. Rival Sons- "Feral Roots" Okay, just because this shows up at number 8, doesn't mean it"s just okay, no, quite the opposite. There are just a lot of good discs this year. Definitely hands down, the best hard rock album of 2019. You can keep your Greta Van Fleet. This is the real "Best Rock band out there" by a mile.
9.Collective Soul- "Blood" They lost Joel Kosche , and this disc isn't quite as catchy as normal, but it Rocks, and these guys are just so steast….Great American Rock band!
10. Joe Jackson "Fool" His best effort in a few years. Still a great songwriter with a great acerbic wit and a sneer,

Your thoughts on Rival Sons are exactly what ai think as well

Your rock candy baby

murfdog wrote:

Very good set of Musicians listed Murfdog, and a reminder of the frailties of my "mature" brain.  Can't believe I omitted Rival Sons or the Raconteurs new albums that're exceptional.  Right now I'm listening to Myles Kennedy's Year of the Tiger that I omitted from last year's list (2018) that absolutely should've been included.
Couldn't help but notice the Joe Jackson mention and will check that out along with Neil Young's Colorado.

Curby wrote:
murfdog wrote:

Very good set of Musicians listed Murfdog, and a reminder of the frailties of my "mature" brain.  Can't believe I omitted Rival Sons or the Raconteurs new albums that're exceptional.  Right now I'm listening to Myles Kennedy's Year of the Tiger that I omitted from last year's list (2018) that absolutely should've been included.
Couldn't help but notice the Joe Jackson mention and will check that out along with Neil Young's Colorado.

This was just an oddly good year for Rock, Blues, and music in general !I omitted the Paul Gilbert and new Darkness because just such a great year !....and thanks for the compliment.

Murfdog

11 (edited by Curby 2019-12-08 10:30:32)

True to my word I investigated Colorado (Neil Young) and Joe Jackson (Fool) and got mixed results...

First I need to preface how much I respect and revere Mr. Young.  From Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, to all those outstanding solo masterpieces.  In two groups of superstars he was clearly the chosen one.
This latest album though I found an older hipster just going through the motions.  There was some truth Townsand's "Hope I die before I get old".  In other words some of our music Gods need to gracefully bow out before diminishing their accomplishments.

Checking out Joe Jackson's Fool was a major surprise.  I bought his first album in the late 70's Look Sharp and Night and Day four years later.  About 5 years ago I got his greatest hits album.  I love all those songs but never investigated anything he'd done this millennia till Murfdog's mention.
Have to say yesterday was a Joe Jackson day.  I bought Fool, his very nice Rain album from 2007 and his stellar Fast Forward offering from 2015. 
JJ is like an aged Spanish wine or 14 year old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, just getting better over time.  I'd mention too that the newer songs are a pleasure to listen to.
The last four songs off Fast Forward remind me of Steely Dan's Aja album.  Recorded in New Orleans with my favorite drummer Stanton Moore playing beside the piano virtuoso.
Good stuff and a very warm thanks to Murfdog!

Curby wrote:

True to my word I investigated Colorado (Neil Young) and Joe Jackson (Fool) and got mixed results...

First I need to preface how much I respect and revere Mr. Young.  From Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, to all those outstanding solo masterpieces.  In two groups of superstars he was clearly the chosen one.
This latest album though I found an older hipster just going through the motions.  There was some truth Townsand's "Hope I die before I get old".  In other words some of our music Gods need to gracefully bow out before diminishing their accomplishments.

Checking out Joe Jackson's Fool was a major surprise.  I bought his first album in the late 70's Look Sharp and Night and Day four years later.  About 5 years ago I got his greatest hits album.  I love all those songs but never investigated anything he'd done this millennia till Murfdog's mention.
Have to say yesterday was a Joe Jackson day.  I bought Fool, his very nice Rain album from 2007 and his stellar Fast Forward offering from 2015. 
JJ is like an aged Spanish wine or 14 year old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, just getting better over time.  I'd mention too that the newer songs are a pleasure to listen to.
The last four songs off Fast Forward remind me of Steely Dan's Aja album.  Recorded in New Orleans with my favorite drummer Stanton Moore playing beside the piano virtuoso.

Well, at least I'm one for two ! I see the Eric Gales is showing up un some lists, so I definitely need to check it out ….The 3 guys you mentioned..are they local artists or do they have national releases ? What type of music ?

Murfdog

The Eric Gales release is really good, I've seen him 3 times now in the last year on that same tour, well worth adding to the collection ............... many thanks on the heads up for Collective Soul and Joe Jackson, loved them both for many years now and will go get them ASAP

murfdog wrote:
Curby wrote:

Well, at least I'm one for two ! I see the Eric Gales is showing up un some lists, so I definitely need to check it out ….The 3 guys you mentioned..are they local artists or do they have national releases ? What type of music ?

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives