Topic: What's your favorite effect?

Mine has to be the Octavia.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/isroot/Cus … viawho.mp3

2 (edited by Stu Craig 2006-07-05 17:55:15)

Re: What's your favorite effect?

What's the name of the effect thay Billy Gibbons uses a lot on Deguello, particularly on Fool For Your Stockings? I heard it on a different artist's record the other day, and really liked it.

I once read that Gibbons played through some sort of high-end reference amp for that song to get that pristine clean sound. It also sounds like there is just a kiss of chorus and not much else.

Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

larryt wrote:

I once read that Gibbons played through some sort of high-end reference amp for that song to get that pristine clean sound. It also sounds like there is just a kiss of chorus and not much else.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I had wondered if that sound was truly effected, or if it was a clean signal like you mentioned, perhaps using special pickups or something.

either my tube screamer or my EVH phase 90
Im not a really an "effects" player.  I prefer to go straight to the amp

A toss up between an old CryBaby and a Rotovibe.  Those 2 are my favorites.

Echo and reverb are always on hand, but not mandatory. 
Also have a Line6 RotoMachine that's a nice Leslie simulator. 
Actually, I have a lot of pedals...but I've been cutting back a lot.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

I have a Keeley Ultra Mod DS-1 that really smokes. He calls it "marshall in a box," which might be a little overstated, but when I plug in my 56 Les Paul Special with the original P-90s, it's as close to Lesley West as you can get without a plexi and 4x12 cab full of green backs. Also, I really love the Voodoo Lab Tremolo, smooth and clean, with a gain control that really helps balance things. Plus, if you roll the intensity off, it makes a very transparent gain boost.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

I'd looked for the elusive "Marshall In A Box" for a while.  Got some cool pedals in the process, but most of them are up for grabs.  Too bad stuff like Keeley and Voodoo Labs aren't readily available at my local superstores.  Boo to all of them for carrying the same old junk.

Ended up getting a Peavey Classic 50 for a song - I run through a 4x12 with Celestion G12-65s.  I know...Peavey...don't laugh.  Construction is fair, tone is a 9 out of 10.  Enough Marshall-like to make me smile.  Alongside the Hiwatt, I'm blowing out me eardrums, mate.  Gonna hook up an A/B custom switch to un the following...
Dirty = Peavey dirty channel + Hiwatt run full gain
Clean = Peavey clean channel + Fender

Damn, I'm gearhead blabbering.  hate when I do that.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

I've got an original octavia. Anybody interested?

10 (edited by kwsjb1238 2006-07-18 07:20:56)

Mavric487 wrote:

I've got an original octavia. Anybody interested?

what kind?  is it a tychobrahe?

Oh yeah, I'll answer the question- I love both the octavia and the univibe.  both the coolest sounding effects ever made.

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

11 (edited by wood 2006-07-18 14:04:07)

If you consider clean boost an effect, Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso.  Just got an Xotic RC Booster (boost/subtle drive) that I'm waiting to try out (it's on my main rig that I never bring home).  This last weekend I ran my Tele > Fulltone Fulldrive II 10th Anniversary > 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb when playing out.  It's a good small setup for smaller gigs (where my Matchless is too much power).

VOX wah - used with discretion. DO NOT OVER-USE!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I put a TB switch in my Vox V847 and it was a huge improvement in tone when it was off.  I highly suggest doing that.

Anyone here ever heard of a Captain Coconut????
This is the holy grail to me!!!!!!

Check out:
www.foxroxelectronics.com

If I had this thing.....man I tell you......

Boss DS-1 would be the one I use the most. I get my Distortion from my amp (Valvetech) but I use the Ds-1 for the extra push.

I am have been digging this little pedal called a Dunlop Q zone. It a type of Auto-Wah. It added a nich Nasal sound to the mix.

I also really badly want a Captain Coconut. Thats next on my list after I get a delay pedal.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Songworks Rotary Wave (Leslie type cabinet) coupled with a Maxon AD999 analog delay...beautiful tone!

Russ B.

bruce919 wrote:

Boss DS-1 would be the one I use the most. I get my Distortion from my amp (Valvetech) but I use the Ds-1 for the extra push.

I am have been digging this little pedal called a Dunlop Q zone. It a type of Auto-Wah. It added a nich Nasal sound to the mix.

the DS-1 is the best for the money.  I have one too but dont use it as much, I got a new Line 6 Flextone III and was able to find some good crushing tones.