Topic: Any RUSH fans out there?

I’ve started listening to some Rush via YouTube but would quite like to own some of their material on cd.
Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks...

Lester...

Re: Any RUSH fans out there?

Personally, I'd say everything from the debut up to Hemispheres is essential. After that treat with caution...

However I'm a pariah of Rush messageboards for my hardline "Old Rush Good, New Rush bad" stance, so you can probably extend out to Power Windows. After that treat with extreme caution...

AVOID VAPOR TRAILS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

3 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2019-04-09 21:34:24)

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

Personally, I'd say everything from the debut up to Hemispheres is essential. After that treat with caution...

However I'm a pariah of Rush messageboards for my hardline "Old Rush Good, New Rush bad" stance, so you can probably extend out to Power Windows. After that treat with extreme caution...

AVOID VAPOR TRAILS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

About sums it up ... don't know much after Moving Pictures .. in the late 70's to '81 ... went right from my KISS crush to widening my ears with RUSH.

Hemispheres ... as was said ... essential

I have a soft spot for live albums .. so ... "All the World's a Stage" ('76)

... but if u like Live ... there is an even better Live boot out there (imho) from '80 (sorry RUSH, it's a boot) ... it was probably my first taste of them ... a Radio Broadcast from St. Louis MO ... I remember recording it from the radio ... and wore the heck out of it back then ... (haven't bought this boot ... but was looking for the broadcast just a couple months ago ... and saw the cd version floating around.)

Maybe a listen for some background music during a project smile ...
Rush - Spirit of the Airwaves [1980 Rush Live Permanent Waves Tour]
https://youtu.be/r-7lQwmN9DI (Betsy Sommer)

as far as dvd's .. haven't bought any concert releases from their R30 / R40 tours ... but really enjoyed the more documentary one's "Beyond The Lighted Stage" ... and just recently purchased "Time Stands Still" ... which chronicled their final tour ... not a concert dvd ... but was a look at their thoughts about ending their Touring career ... and a look into their fanbase  ... interesting.

A great visual version of that Moving Pictures '81 era ... which is on DVD

Rush Exit...Stage Left 1982
https://youtu.be/y-0aCyHntHs (Phil Hughes)

Enjoy smile

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Thanks for the replies.
Useful information.

Lester

Pretty much agree with the above; Fly By Night & Caress of Steel show where they were coming from, but pretty much 2112 through to Moving Pictures are "essential".
Signals; Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows & Hold Your Fire have high points but not the consistency of the previous albums. Can't say about the latter catalogue, but Clockwork Angels is a good one to bow out on - unless Geddy has something else to say.

Exit, Stage Left & All The World's A Stage, both excellent Live albums and as Roadcaseboy says, R30 & R40 are great live DVDs.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Exit stage left from 1981 was always my favourite . Hope it helps. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

I’m going to start with a double cd compilation - Gold, which covers the first twelve albums and includes some of the longer songs.
Should keep me going for now.

https://www.dodax.co.uk/en-gb/music-cds … AS23PRVMT/

Lester...

All good advise before me here. To a certain extent they do have some different styles.The early work more hard rock.Then into more prog.Finally after the very proggybwork some morenmainstream Rock
All good just take your time and enjoy.Like a lot of long time bands I think they mostly went down hill later on. Some decent stuff but I tend to stop at Presto and Roll The Bones

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

9 (edited by dknight16 2019-04-10 18:06:00)

From RUSH through Moving Pictures is all essential material.  However, you may not love Caress of Steel.  It’s a different duck.

I also liked Signals and Grace Under Pressure, but they mostly lost me after that.  Clockwork Angels was back to awesome.  It’s an outstanding final studio album.

All The World’s A Stage is one of the best live albums of all time.  People here like Exit Stage Left, but for me, it’s really low energy and crowd noise is too subdued as well.  It’s a shame because that tour was great, but it’s not a good live album at all.  Rush In Rio is really great.  The performance is amazing and the crowd is absolutely delirious.  Get the DVD of this show as well.  It’s outstanding.  Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland and R40 are musically good, but Geddy really struggles with the vocals.  He had the flu in Cleveland, and his voice is just shot by the time R40 rolls around.

Buying the various complications and restrospectives is a waste.  You need to hear the full products, not just samples of their greatness.  Don’t just dip your toe, really dive in!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Thanks again everyone.
Those Rush boys certainly evolved their music and hair styles over the years!
Did I see washing machines and a chicken on stage at one point?

Lester...

One album I always really have liked which is under the Rush radar is Counterparts

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Also one of my favs and first time seeing them was opening night of the Counterparts tour in Pensacola FL, although seats were in a nose bleed section, it was still great
There is another live bootleg that I had from the 80s called Mirrors, selected songs from two nights in Oakland CA, I regret that I loaned it and never got it back 

gary wrote:

One album I always really have liked which is under the Rush radar is Counterparts

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

How about this to whet the appetite. big_smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

no washing machines but rather a clothes dryer, I don't remember the chicken. Yeah Alex's hair was wild back in the day and looking a lot like Little Lord Fauntleroy

Lester wrote:

Thanks again everyone.

Lester...

Lester wrote:

Thanks again everyone.

Lester...

There was a chicken. I've seen Pirates too.

One tour Geddy's backline was chicken rotisseries.

They certainly have a sense of humour  - apart from the drummer...

Oh, and ATWAS is an essential live album, by ANY band.

16 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2019-04-13 12:43:19)

Freaking love Rush.

Hemispheres, Caress of Steel and Farewell to Kings are my favorites.  I pretty much like the whole catalog (except maybe Power Windows).

When I was a teenager my older brother was a fan of Hold Your Fire, and I remember he had it on cassette.  At the time I was into Metallica, Megadeth, Dokken and Van Halen so it went over my head a bit. I  thought it was too soft and keyboardy.  I freaking love the album now, though.  Such great songs, although it is definitely different.  It's my pick as an underappreciated Rush album.

The R40 DVD is great, I had a chance to sit and watch that last year.  I wish I had gone to see the tour live when I had the chance.

I really liked Hold Your Fire too, especially Prime Mover which they rarely played in concert unless it was on that tour. However, I was late to the party and started my listening with Presto so go figure how I became so attached to their music, very tinny sounding with those Hughes/Kettners .............. but there is some great music on Presto and some of Neil's finest lyrics of any of their releases

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Freaking love Rush.

Hemispheres, Caress of Steel and Farewell to Kings are my favorites.  I pretty much like the whole catalog (except maybe Power Windows).

When I was a teenager my older brother was a fan of Hold Your Fire, and I remember he had it on cassette.  At the time I was into Metallica, Megadeth, Dokken and Van Halen so it went over my head a bit. I  thought it was too soft and keyboardy.  I freaking love the album now, though.  Such great songs, although it is definitely different.  It's my pick as an underappreciated Rush album.

The R40 DVD is great, I had a chance to sit and watch that last year.  I wish I had gone to see the tour live when I had the chance.

If you don't mind spending a little money, get the Rush Sectors boxed sets. Sectors 1 has the first 5 albums, Sectors 2 has the next 5, and Sectors 3 has the next 5. There's also another set called 1989-2007, which has all the albums released in that time period. Also get Clockwork Angels, then you'll have every studio album. And they have several other live cds, DVDS, etc.