Topic: Interesting Joe interview

This popped up on my google page. Very interesting interview with some disheartening comments from Joe from a fans perspective.
  There was a lot of ya ya on here a few years ago about Joe overworking.If you read what he is saying I think it has finally caught up with him.
  Also curious as to what his bucket list is.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bon … hang-it-up

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Interesting Joe interview

I just read this and was coming on to share, but saw Gary beat me to it.
Great read and as much as I wish Joe would play forever, it makes sense that there's going to be another chapter...whatever that may be. I wish Joe nothing but the best whenever he decides to shut down the "Always on the Road" chapter of his life.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hmm didn't read anything new,
Joe has stated in several interviews past couple of years that his retirement plans are when he hits 50 yrs of playing,
Depending on when he started counting
(Either playing at 4 or full time at 12)

Retirement can come as early as he turns 54 or 62.
I've heard 62 battered around.
We'll see how he really feels once he's 62 though

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

He talked about that in the couple of GuitarWank episodes he was the guest on recently as well, if you want to hear a little more of his thoughts on it.

I had heard him claim an age to stop. I thought it was around 60.Hadnt heard like in ten years.And to me it sounded like he may consider sooner. Maybe it would be best for him just to take a year off of touring ( maybe do a short BCC tour!)
It was a shock to think he would “retire” at 50 as most musicians don’t stop completely  until their age and health makes them.
But he has been going bonkers for some time now.Cant argue an extended break
Only downside /upside is too much time equals too much buying vintage  gear  which equals make more money which means go back to work!

Your rock candy baby

It is an old interview ( i posted it in interview section back in January ), don't know why they decided to repost it now ( probably, as Joe said before, just to get themselves web traffic using Joe"s name... ). So again it is an old interview, Joe also posted on the same day on his inst page that he stopped collecting guitars. I don't know what happened on that day that he sounded so down, but we all have those moments and days when we say things that feel right at the moment, but than circumstances and mood changes, life goes on and those saying don't feel true anymore.

7 (edited by Lester 2019-03-28 15:43:31)

I believe that Joe may now have reached his peak both musically and also with his fan base. He’s not a stadium artist and has now pretty much covered everything from delta blues all the way up to hard rock.
A more measured approach to his touring and studio work is on the horizon I feel with maybe a return to a more manageable band structure.
He might even get by without the assistance of Mr Shirley.
Who knows? Just my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Lester...

He still hasn’t played in a polka band
As far as I know.
  Must  be on the bucket list

Your rock candy baby

Lester wrote:

I believe that Joe may now have reached his peak both musically and also with his fan base. He’s not a stadium artist and has now pretty much covered everything from delta blues all the way up to hard rock.
A more measured approach to his touring and studio work is on the horizon I feel with maybe a return to a more manageable band structure.
He might even get by without the assistance of Mr Shirley.
Who knows? Just my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Lester...

I agree about the 'more manageable band structure'

I saw him last fall in Indianapolis, and was a little put off by the production with the horns, back-up singers, etc.
It reminded me of Clapton in and around his 'Phil Collins' stage.

Love to see him strip it back to a 3-piece. My favorite show in the 'Tour de Force' series is the Borderline gig.

Bigger isn't always better!

Having said all that, though, my wife says that last show was the best she can remember. And we've seen him something like 17 times beginning with a free show at the Rathsekllar in Indy back in the early 2000's with Kenny and Eric.

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger