Topic: Boone's Farm

Back in the early to mid Seventies there was a band called Boone's Farm that I very much enjoyed and was wondering if anyone else remembers them.  They had a great black singer and an R&B/Rock sound.

Re: Boone's Farm

Dont remember the band ,but kinda remember drinking Boones Farm yikes

Yeah, I've never heard of the band either, and I didn't immediately come up with anything when I googled it just now either.  But when I was a kid, like in grade school, I had a Boone's Farm (winery) t-shirt, a hand-me-down, schoolbus yellow/orange, and it was fulls of holes and completely illegible by the time I was done with it, lol... it was like my favorite shirt... not really sure why, lol... tongue

--Vik cool

Boone's  Farm Strawberry Hill was pretty popular back in the day - mainly because it's cheap.  Produces a world-class hangover though!
I finally investigated the band and found out they were from Southern California and had a country-rock sound with an emphasis more on rock.  They were signed by big label, Columbia Records in 1972 and released their one and only self-titled album the same year.  The album was produced by Jim Messina of Buffalo Springfield and Poco fame.
The band members were: Fred Darling (drums), Gary Stovall (guitar), Brad Palmer (bass) and the outstanding lead-vocalist, Kent Sprague.
I saw the band at two all day music festivals where they clearly stole the show from more well-known bands of the era.  I wore out my vinyl copy and by then it was very difficult to find a replacement.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could locate a reliable download.

Ah yes, Boone's Farm wine, I remember it well! And leat I think I do?? yikes

Lots of dead brain cells from drinking that stuff way back when......and I didn't have many to spare!

Roy

Joe is the Best!

saw boones farm in 1972 in evansville in at bosse field dam good they was band artists was kent sprague  gary stovall  brad palmer fred darling

Curby wrote:

Boone's  Farm Strawberry Hill was pretty popular back in the day - mainly because it's cheap.  Produces a world-class hangover though!
I finally investigated the band and found out they were from Southern California and had a country-rock sound with an emphasis more on rock.  They were signed by big label, Columbia Records in 1972 and released their one and only self-titled album the same year.  The album was produced by Jim Messina of Buffalo Springfield and Poco fame.
The band members were: Fred Darling (drums), Gary Stovall (guitar), Brad Palmer (bass) and the outstanding lead-vocalist, Kent Sprague.
I saw the band at two all day music festivals where they clearly stole the show from more well-known bands of the era.  I wore out my vinyl copy and by then it was very difficult to find a replacement.

Hey Curby, I have a link for that Boones Farm album. The guitarist, Gary, is a friend of mine and fellow local guitarist.

kellycowan1 wrote:
Curby wrote:

I knew a girl who lived in Escindido and her brothers had a band called Boone’s Farm.  They played at the EM club on base.  Wondering if this is them .  Early 70’s was the time frame.

Curby wrote:

Back in the early to mid Seventies there was a band called Boone's Farm that I very much enjoyed and was wondering if anyone else remembers them.  They had a great black singer and an R&B/Rock sound.

10 (edited by Curby 2019-03-03 13:44:57)

cece5650 wrote:

I knew a girl who lived in Escindido and her brothers had a band called Boone’s Farm.  They played at the EM club on base.  Wondering if this is them .  Early 70’s was the time frame.

Curby wrote:

The time sounds right.  Their album was released in 1972.  The music is somewhat dated, but still sounds great to me and brings back a special time in my life.

PittsburghJeff from this forum sent me digital copy of their album about ten years ago.  Thanks again Jeff!

Found this video of a song off the album.  Hope this jogs your memory.....

https://youtu.be/5z3aJgwOnYc

Found the whole album.  Still exceptional stuff.

https://youtu.be/B_Gtuy2l0JA