Topic: Favorite released studio albums for 2018

It’s that time of year where the best of lists are going to be coming out.
I prefer to keep this thread to studio as live albums are a different category.
Never easy to do or rank so to speak.
Here is my list
1) Redemption by you know who
2)Tell The Truth Lance Lopez
3) Black Heaven Earthless
4) Never Say Never Sari Schoor
5) Starting Gun Bad Flowers
6) Destiny Super Vintage
7)Peace,  Love and Loud Guitars Anthony Gomes
8) Divine Soul Ride George Foster
9) True Rockers Monster Truck
10) Cross The Line Sakis Dovolis Trio
11) Face to Face Rainbreakers
12)All Of This Life The Record Company
13) Hold On Kirk Fletcher
14) Hanna Wicklund and the Steppin Stones
15) Shake A Leg Bad Touch

Not a 2018 release but late 2017 Eyes of the Sun by Otis would have been a top 5
Great southern Rock
Also honorable mention to Natchez by Bishop Gunn.Unfortunately for me I am too headstrong on up tempo music and the album slowed me down to much .
  It there are several great tracks that I like

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-12-17 10:34:40)

Re: Favorite released studio albums for 2018

That time of year already..? Few choices there Gary that slipped though my net, so maybe some post-Christmas investigating & shopping to be done.

Don't know if it's just me, but 2018 seemed to get off to a slow start, album-wise, but here's my selection, more in chronological than preference order:-

Joe Satriani - What Happens Next
Anderson East - Encore
Dan Patlansky - Perfection Kills
Jason Wells - Nine Hours
Kris Barras - The Divine & Dirty
Mike Zito - First Class Life
Wilko Johnson - Blow Your Mind
Buck & Evans - Write A Better Day
Magpie Salute - High Water 1
Curse of Lono - As I Fell
Sari Schorr - Never Say Never
Uriah Heep - Living The Dream
Rainbreakers - Face to Face
Bishop Gunn - Natchez
Federal Charm - Passenger
R.H.R. - Mahogany Drift
Lincoln Durham - And Into Heaven Came The Night
Ryan McGarvey - Heavy Hearted

Live album - Wille & the Bandits - Living Free
                   Ryan McGravey - Live at Swinghouse
                   Richard Hawley - Live at the Devil's A***

Re-Issue - Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

Never thought would be mentioned  on this forum category:-
Kim Wilde - here Come The Aliens

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I will have to get my thinking cap on but definitely in there will be Eric Steckel - Polyphonic Prayer. What an album that is!!!!

I only purchased 4 CDs this year.  Ridiculous considering my CD collection is over 4000 discs. 

Greta Van Fleet is #1
Joe Bonamassa is #2
Alice In Chains is #3
A Perfect Circle was purchased, but just one listen and I found it incredibly boring and disappointing.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

thanks man, I have to have this one ASAP ............ just listening now to Tennessee and it totally kicks arse

Kenny wrote:

I will have to get my thinking cap on but definitely in there will be Eric Steckel - Polyphonic Prayer. What an album that is!!!!

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Hm, thinking back, I didn't get a lot of new records this year.  I bought a lot of music, but mostly older releases.

Greta Van Fleet's "Athem of the Peaceful Army" is great, definitely lived up to the promise.
Ultraphonix's "Original Human Music" is a great rock record - it features George Lynch (Dokken) & Cory Glover (Living Color).
"Redemption," of course.

I just listed to Red Dragon Cartel's "Patina" and I really dig that, too, although it's pretty new to me.  Hard to put in on a "best" list after one listen but certainly worth a mention.

It’s nice to see what everyone has really liked for the year.I usually find some nice choices from everyone’s lists.
  Also seems so far a lot of people not getting much in new music this year.
But I think it was an excellent year and I could list at least another ten I think we’re really good.
Of course there is technology now available so you can stream an album to see if you like it enough to actually by the physical product or download.

Your rock candy baby

Bringing  this back up as I should make mention of Buddy Guys album this year.
He still has it going on and a top notch blues album

Your rock candy baby

Kris Barras - The Divine & Dirty
Mike Zito - First Class Life
Sari Schorr - Never Say Never
Uriah Heep - Living The Dream
Danny Bryant -Revelation
Bob Daisley - Moore Blues For Gary
Billy Gibbons - Big Bad Blues
Ben Poole - Anytime Time You Need Me
Laurence Jones - The Truth

LIVE
Joe British Blues Explosion
Paul Rodgers Free Sprit
Bet Hart Albert Hall

Didn't realise I'd even bought 10 New Releases this year!

1. Boss Keloid - Melted on the Inch
2. Conan - Existential Void Guardian
3. Earthless - Black Heaven
4. Elephant 9 - Greatest Show on Earth
5. Ihsahn - Amr
6. Monster Truck - True Rockers
7. Ring Van Mobius - Past the Evening Sun
8. Riverside - Wasteland
9. Rikard Sjoblom's Gungfly - Friendship
10. Sleep - The Sciences

(OK so I bought Spock's Beard's latest too, but I'll keep schtum on that...)

Can't believe I omitted to mention Ian Parker's tribute album to Willie Dixon - Spoonful of Gold.  That and R.H.R's Mahogany Drift pretty much were  the highlight albums for me on this side of the pond.

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

Didn't realise I'd even bought 10 New Releases this year!

1. Boss Keloid - Melted on the Inch
2. Conan - Existential Void Guardian
3. Earthless - Black Heaven
4. Elephant 9 - Greatest Show on Earth
5. Ihsahn - Amr
6. Monster Truck - True Rockers
7. Ring Van Mobius - Past the Evening Sun
8. Riverside - Wasteland
9. Rikard Sjoblom's Gungfly - Friendship
10. Sleep - The Sciences

(OK so I bought Spock's Beard's latest too, but I'll keep schtum on that...)

Of course this is a not too bluesy list !!
Looks like you may be the only one here out  side of me with things like Earthless and Monster Truck on a list!

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:

Of course this is a not too bluesy list !!

Swapped my Blues/Rock head for a Metallic Prog Rock head!
Looking like the Prog Rock head is staying attached this year, but who knows, I might give my full on Heavy Metal head a run out - but I don't know if my neck is strong enough any more...

Bit of a puzzler where to actually post about this one.... Only just got it at the week-end though it did emerge in November last year.

Jawbone - Jawbone

Jawbone is a band that have been kicking about for a while now (mentioned on the forum a couple of years back), a collaboration between good friends Marcus Bonfanti and Paddy Milner, joined by antipodean rhythm section Rex Horan & Evan Jenkins. The overall sound is rooted  in the London scene but taps into bands like Little Feat & The Band (from where they've taken the group name (song title from 2nd album); add a little Stones and some CSN&Y.

Leave No Traces - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0oTT3isPU

15 (edited by Curby 2019-01-23 14:41:12)

I sent a long reply to this post and it somehow didn't send.  Not real Happy!

I picked my number one as Bishop Black's Natchez.  A complete recording of seriously talented musicians.  Every song is good.

Coming in second is an album that just keeps growing on me, RHR's Mahogany Rush.  Jack J Hutchinson's nothing less than a genius.  Thanks to Mike (BansheeUK) for even knowing about these guys!

Lastly, I'd like to include Joey Landreth and The Bros. Landreth that Mike revealed Last year.  This is the music I've listened to the most.  Joey Landreth I hope is just tapping his super talent.  I literally have bought everything he's done and again Mike Craggs brought this music to light.  I've been through some tough times these last few months, but music can truly be a salvation. 

I can't stress how highly I rate Natchez and hope those unaware of them check 'em out.

https://youtu.be/-x4bqn4Ocdo  Landreth Brothers

Curby wrote:

Coming in second is an album that just keeps growing on me, RHR's Mahogany Rush.  Jack Johnson's nothing less than a genius.  Thanks to Mike (BansheeUK) for even knowing about these guys!

Jack J Hutchinson (not Johnson) started recording sessions for new solo album at New Year (way to work out hangover....) but maybe some stuff may make follow-up to Mahogany Drift; my next opportunity to catch the guys will be in July though I've had word that Mike Ross (the 2nd of the "R"s) will be doing a solo, acoustic in the neighbourhood in March. Mike has a couple of solo albums out worth checking out. Last I heard from Troy Redfern, he was on tour in Russia.....

Up

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:

Coming in second is an album that just keeps growing on me, RHR's Mahogany Rush.  Jack Johnson's nothing less than a genius.  Thanks to Mike (BansheeUK) for even knowing about these guys!

Jack J Hutchinson (not Johnson) started recording sessions for new solo album at New Year (way to work out hangover....) but maybe some stuff may make follow-up to Mahogany Drift; my next opportunity to catch the guys will be in July though I've had word that Mike Ross (the 2nd of the "R"s) will be doing a solo, acoustic in the neighbourhood in March. Mike has a couple of solo albums out worth checking out. Last I heard from Troy Redfern, he was on tour in Russia.....

Up all night Mike.  Yes Hutchinson, not Jack Johnson!!  What an idiot.