1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-10-08 04:00:21)

Topic: Greg Coulson

Here's one right back at yer Curby. Young guy to be listening out for, Greg Coulson; hot and fresh off the Blues magazine promo CD and worth further investigation. We might be throwing names like "Windwood" with overtones of "Lang" round here......

Surprisingly, not principally a fret board wiz though he knows his way round a six-string, but a keyboard one, and at 22, already noted sessions man. There's an album out there, End Of The Line guided/assisted by Dani Wilde sideman Stuart Dixon, so hopefully some tour dates following.

Stitch Me Up  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePqfzYMGxs
What's Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5iKUKw5KM

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Greg Coulson

sounding good to me, thanks Mike. listening to Stitch Me Up it sounds a lot like Donald Fagen, Steely Dan, and would have fit seemlessly on their Two Against Nature CD.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-03-22 04:33:43)

Not certain exactly on the release date, other than “imminent” but watch out for the highly anticipated new album from Greg Coulson - What’s New?

Greg has been on the radar for a few years (despite being only 25 wet through….) but has had quite an eclectic career path; keyboard player for Ska band The Selector for several years, on the London West-End stage, even a spot of rep panto…? But, he’s always retained a passion for Rhythm & Blues and is noted for his delivery of high energy shows steeped in the likes of Ray Charles, Taj Mahal, Robben Ford, Booker T and Little Feat!

Not only that, Greg is a fearsomely talented musician, principally Hammond & keyboard, but knows his way round a guitar fret-board as well has having impressive vocal chords. Guided by Stuart Dixon as producer (and side-man), this is sure to be impressive, at the very least.

From a few years back -
Stitch Me Up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Voz2SX3M3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_wVUUI3Mw
And more recently (Jan 2017):-
Why Don’t You Do Right - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_wVUUI3Mw

Tour dates:-

31st March 2017 - Milton Keynes The Stables 8:45pm
21st April 2017 - Sedgefield Sedgefield Rock & Blues Club 9pm
23rd April 2017 - Harrogate The Blues Café  8pm
13th May 2017 Bedford Sausage & Cider Festival 3pm
14th May 2017  Bedford Sausage & Cider Festival 3pm
May 19th 2017 - Fareham The Boarhunt Blues Club 9pm
21st May 2017 Oadby Sausage & Cider Festival 1pm
9th June 2017 - Gillingham Blues At The Woodlands 7pm
July 6th 2017 - Northampton Candlelight Acoustic Sessions - Club 43 Solo Performance - 8pm
22nd July 2017 - Ealing Ealing Blues Festival 6.30pm - South Stage
29th July 2017 - Uckfield Uckfield Blues & Roots Festival 7:30pm
30th July 2017  Blaby Sausage & Cider Festival
5th August 2017 - Hanbury  Jinney Ring Blues Festival 4.50pm
6th August 2017 - Mold  The North Wales Blues & Soul Festival
August 19th 2017 Brackley Sausage & Cider Festival 3pm
August 26th 2017 Hinckley Sausage & Cider Festival 1pm
27th September 2017 - Northampton The Malt Shovel Tavern 9pm

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-10-25 05:09:00)

20th October - Hartlepool Supporters

So, the flip side of another of Tommy’s crackin double-headers, and absolutely electric performers this young gate and hep-cats are; Greg especially must be on coffee so strong he can drink it on a stick, he’s just never still on stage, hopping from Keys to guitar to mic, never missing a beat.

And what about “that beat”, this guy has an old head on those young shoulders as his platform seems to be based round 1940s Jive, and he and the band, main foil Stuart Dixon, have the chops to make it fresh and vital; never no crummy, chummy. Such a diverse performer, Greg’s main instrument is the keyboard, (on which he’s not afraid to “nod” to his Two-Tone experiences) but he knows his way round a Fender Jaguar yet is canny enough to know when to step back and let Stuart Dixon take the lead on his guitar, and what a back-up guy to have in the band. This really showed in the Peggy Lee cover - Why Don’t You Do Right, heart-wrenching solo work (marred by “loud” table at the back f the Supporters….idiots!). Then he can change direction and drop a Steely Dan influenced number into the set, and it works fine.

Mostly though, Greg fell back on his long-awaited hot-plate debut album (What's New)as well as Ike Turner’s old Rocket “88”. , Strong numbers, wit the bouncing 10/10 and great closing track, Sick Note.  A highlight too, was when he called up mop Elles Bailey for an impromptu gospel number.

Well worth the wait catching this guy, but with almost as many pies as he’s fingers to shove in, don’t know when the next chance will be, but I’m mellow.....

It’s taken me almost as much time to get a chance to sit and listen to Greg Coulson’s debut album What’s New as it has for him to finally get it out there. I think you can see from his thread, he’s been in the crosshairs for a while and he did make something of a splash with the single Squat That Rabbit (or should it be Wabbit?)....

First pay through, it is heavily stylised into 1940/50s jazz influences, especially the way he used the front line (horns), but, for all that “old head”, he’s got good “young shoulders” and carries it off as a refreshing take, his guitar work reminding me quite a bit of Brian Setzer.

However, its the 2nd and 3rd play throughs where this album really starts to come together as after the initial shock much deeper stuff comes through, at times reminiscent of Steely Dan, of which Greg is a big fan. So we kick off with a jumping 10/10 and continue with a much more louche swinging Girls before one of Greg’s older self-penned numbers, Stitch Me Up slows things down a little to meet up with the smouldering Love Nest. What’s New is a jazz infused feast for the ears with Greg & Stuart Dixon’s guitars duelling over and with Greg’s Hammond - did I say this guy is multi-faceted? Well, he is…. Someone To Be There carries over a skipping little riff that gets in your head. End of the Line is almost similar, but darker and more intense. Ran Out and Ready, as the title suggests has a urgency to the beat and closer Sick Note could probably be the best thing Jamiroquai have never done and features backing vocals from Dani Wilde.

Not your straight-forward Blues then, Greg very much has his own style and influences and is not afraid to show them, but with the likes of Stuart Dixon on Guitar, Roger Innes on Bass & Adam Gammage on Drums to help fuse them together, this is a very heady mix.

Rated - 77%