1 (edited by xavier 2018-10-07 16:23:41)

Topic: Joe to return to BBC Later with Jools Holland 10/16 & 10/19

Don't think this was mentioned elsewhere so:

Joe is set to return to the BBC music tv show for the first time since 2009 when he played "Lonesome Road Blues" from the then-new album The Ballad of John Henry.
He'll be playing a couple of tracks from Redemption.

The two shows, first live and then extras, will be broadcast on BBC2 in the UK on Tuesday 16th October and Friday 19th October at 10pm UK time and be available on BBC iPlayer the day after each broadcast.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Re: Joe to return to BBC Later with Jools Holland 10/16 & 10/19

I'd heard he was on but not the dates. Thanks for that will hit record. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Thanks for this.
I’ll be watching.

Lester..

Thank you! I wonder if anybody can record it as BBC is not available here. Thank you.

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I am guessing its going to be the one Joe segment then the later airing will have other bands?
not sure what it means, will there be two different Joe things for the two different dates?

The 2nd airing is longer so might include 2 songs from Joe.

The following is from the BBC website re tonight’s show.

New York State born blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa opened for BB King a number of times in the late 80s when he was 12 years old and knows a thing or two about the blues with the likes of Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton greatly inspiring him. He debuted on Later... back in 2009 and has gone on to amass Grammy nominations and play major venues around the world. He plays a track from his 13th studio album Redemption, which mixes his customary fiery guitar work with Memphis horn arrangements for a compendium of big-band and blues clubland raunch.

Unfortunately looks like we’re just getting one song.

Lester..

Might get 2 on Friday as its a longer show.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

I still miss the Old Grey Whistle Test.
Slightly before Joe’s time unfortunately, otherwise I’m sure he would have been asked to do a session.

Lester...

Video by BBC Music: King Bee Shakedown on Later... with Jools Holland  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBPNu9i8V2I

xavier wrote:

Might get 2 on Friday as its a longer show.

Jools mentioned Joe would be talking about his guitar collection on the extended show.

Lester..

I watched the show and the song king bee shakedown gave a chance to see the whole band perform.This is one of the shorter songs on redemption.Most of the others would have been too long sadly.Anybody watching who doesn't know him didn't get the chance to see how brilliant he is on that one song.I think its a great album,and a pity we didn't get molly o,or just cos you can for example.As always he was spot on.The guitar interview comes on saturday night.Jools should get him to play one more for those in the dark.

Something like Night Music that David Sanborn had on NBC for a couple of years would have done great if it was around today.

Guitars:

Lester wrote:

I still miss the Old Grey Whistle Test.
Slightly before Joe’s time unfortunately, otherwise I’m sure he would have been asked to do a session.

Lester...

I’m with you on that. Jools show will not reach the the iconic status of OGWT. Bring back Whispering Bob (who was first to air Joe on the BBC).

Joe played "Evil Mama", "Just Because You Can, Don't Mean You Should" A Chat with Jools about Guitars and Touring and New Album, then "King Bee Shakedown"
Plus Joe and Band was let to Start a Funky Tune to play the show out.
They So Stole The Show
Band We're Tight & Fired Up

......... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Was actually very pleased about how much Joe we got on the main show.
Hope the performances go up on YouTube for the US friends who can't access BBC.

P.s. sorry for putting the wrong date initially, been out of the loop for a while with Later and the last time I watched a series, the main show was a Friday, not a Saturday.

Guitars:

Wow, the band were super tight and the guitar sound was awesome. So many times in TV studios's its compressed to hell. What a performance. The Runt sounded stellar, and I've been convinvced to sell my trem Strat for a hardtail!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b … episode-4#

Just watched it on replay.
Good to see Joe getting a bit more exposure on television in the U.K.
Looked good and sounded even better.

Lester..

Might be my speakers, but I found the sound with The Runt to be far too muffled and not really cutting through. King Bee Shakedown on the Strat sounded far clearer to me.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet