Topic: Joe`s old (Marshall, etc.) and new sound (Fender)

As soon as Joe switched to Fender amps i recognised a change in sound when listening to his YT live videos, without knowing that he had switched. I prefer his old sound/ setup quite a bit. I find his Fender amps sound stiffer, less open. Maybe i am wrong, after all its just a question of taste , so do not take this the wrong way, i am a huge fan of Joe, but as i mentioned i wish he would have stayed with his old setup.
What is your take on that?

2 (edited by DougH 2018-07-15 12:01:33)

Re: Joe`s old (Marshall, etc.) and new sound (Fender)

Joe's playing style changed with the switch.
It was the study of Howl'n Wolf and Muddy Waters that started that change, followed by his tribute to the 3 Kings.

Those really changed how he played and ultimately changed his sounds today

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Yeah I am not a huge fan of the new sounds, but still a fan of his playing and moving the blues forward. I really am digging the rock candy funk party records a lot too. I was just watching/listening to a North Sea Jazz Festival performance from 2007 and it was the Cat5/SJ/VW/TR rig and that really is the sound that I associate with JB. I fell in love with his playing and tone during the Budda days and loved that, but it really was the combination of a D-style amp with Marshalls that made me thing that finally someone had cracked the code.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

To macg1: Agreed: This is the tone i am talking about: Look these up on You Tube: Joe Bonamassa & Beth Hart - I'll Take Care Of You (Beacon Theatre, Live From New York)
Joe Bonamassa - If Heartaches Were Nickels LIVE at the Beacon Theatre
Best tone in the history of rock/ blues guitar as far as i am concerned.
To Dough: I would disagree. I hear the Fender amp DNA in Joe`s tone nowadays and since i hear that also with other Fender players i wouldn`t "blame" it on a change in the way he plays.

I like both tones that Joe has used, but yes I prefer the old one with the Jubilee and other amps. I might be wrong but I think he switched over to the tweeds when recording Different Shades of Blue and then used that rig for the Muddy Wolf tour. It seems that he has been slowly transitioning from a less “blues rock” oriented artist and more of straight ahead bluesman as time has went on which is probably why he has chose to use the current tweed rig. As his playing style has changed through the years, I think the tweeds that he is using now compliment him very well.

Watch and listen to Rockpalast. Best tones and sound by far and no stacks to be seen. This was my favourite sound, followed by the Beacon theatre then the tweeds. But as the album said "all things must pass". Joe is obviously happier with the switch. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

treywanvig wrote:

I like both tones that Joe has used, but yes I prefer the old one with the Jubilee and other amps. I might be wrong but I think he switched over to the tweeds when recording Different Shades of Blue and then used that rig for the Muddy Wolf tour. It seems that he has been slowly transitioning from a less “blues rock” oriented artist and more of straight ahead bluesman as time has went on which is probably why he has chose to use the current tweed rig. As his playing style has changed through the years, I think the tweeds that he is using now compliment him very well.

There's an interview with Joe for Guitarist floating around on YT where he tells the story of why he switched to the Tweeds. He was planning the Muddy Wolf gigs and felt that it wouldn't be right to have his big rig up there, he also says that he was unhappy with his tone at that point in time, so switched to the Tweed rig. He was then surprised by the versatility of the rig and ended up keeping it full-time after that.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

The multiple amp setup with the Jubilee at its core has always been my favourite Joe tone. I hope the Jubs will return one day.

I think the tones on this new album are some of the best I have ever heard him get.

I love the sound of the cranked Fenders Twins. It is massive and pure. Awesome how he uses the TC Electronics Chorus pedal to tighten everything up. As he said in his latest rig rundown, "It howls!"