Topic: How Many Band Members

What is your ideal band line up for a Joe gig ?

We all know it was the classic three to start with .

My first gig was a four piece with keys added .

I love some brass with my music .

A friend who went to the Hampton Court gig heard mutters the band is getting so big that's we had to pay so much .

For me to kick it off
Joe playing his own music 4 inc keys
One gigs / tours
Band plus brass

Discuss ..............

Re: How Many Band Members

Joe, bass, drums & keys is my favorite. Especially with Reese. He really adds depth, versatility and enormous quality to the band. After that backup singers, second guitar, horns all on certain occasions or songs. They're more fluff and fill. Nice but not a necessity.

hardrain

I like the way he keeps mixing thing up. Would joe be as popular today if he had stuck with the three piece? Something tells me the answer is no.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

My personal favorite would be guitar, bass, drums, keys and maybe backup singers... but I do enjoy that he mixes it up a lot.

What Jane said. It varies with his style and intent. I’ll take Joe any way he comes. Some of the best is when he sits in with other bands or takes off on a mini tour flyer like the pending Country tribute. The one constant seems to be change.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

uncleraven wrote:

Joe, bass, drums & keys is my favorite. Especially with Reese. He really adds depth, versatility and enormous quality to the band. After that backup singers, second guitar, horns all on certain occasions or songs. They're more fluff and fill. Nice but not a necessity.

I would say I follow  your thoughts.I like the horns too.Sometimes I just would like a  just 3 or 4 piece.He has been incorporating the horns for a while and a lot of songs of more recent vintage are designed for having them.So I think it makes sense to tour that way.
  Perhaps even a power trio Joe at this stage would be interesting just because he hasn’t done it for an album for so long.
  It may come back sometime but more likely not.A little more likely  four piece with keys.I will take that any day! If you look at BOD not every song is horns a blazin and I can dig an album with a mixture of tracks with and with out the horns.I will also take the back up singers any day.I know some have said they have been overpowering.I would think that’s a sound staging problem  as they seem properly balanced in the studio.
Everyone has there way to be Bonablown away.I do feel sorry for those that can’t enjoy most of the changes he’s gone through.I am not saying we all should blindly worship every twist and turn.It just as far a solo works go I think he’s done an even job of keeping with in the basic perimeter but doing a lot of different things to keep things from getting stale.Thats not easy and very few artists can do it successfully.Now when he steps out and does soul with Beth or hard rock with BCC or the jazz funk of RCFP those are meant to be off the blues path and take those as you like.I think that just adds something for everyone to take a bonaside offering as they please.Even Country ( disclaimer !!)

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I personally like how Joe changes it up. So I will follow his lead he has never disappointed
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

8 (edited by Rocket 2018-06-24 22:14:27)

Ooooppps! 2...

Unless Joe kicks even his guitar outta the band and takes up opera or Broadway musicals...or Elvis style dead end B-movies...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Haha: wiki's definition of "ideal" - existing only in the imagination; desirable or perfect but not likely to become a reality...

So... ideal band?.. just Joe, on stage by himself.

Rocket wrote:

Ooooppps! 2...

Unless Joe kicks even his guitar outta the band and takes up opera or Broadway musicals...or Elvis style dead end B-movies...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

I say that after the country runs its course the next logical step is Elvis. Joe with sideburns shakin the hips !!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky