Topic: Amp Settings

Could somebody help me? Love Joe's tone. Don't have his gear of course, LOL! What are his amp settings? Right now I'm playing a Bad Cat Les Paul copy on a Rocktron R50C Rampage amp. Thanks!

2 (edited by cindyron 2018-06-14 13:11:08)

Re: Amp Settings

Preacherman01 wrote:

Could somebody help me? Love Joe's tone. Don't have his gear of course, LOL! What are his amp settings? Right now I'm playing a Bad Cat Les Paul copy on a Rocktron R50C Rampage amp. Thanks!

Wow well that’s a loaded question let me say up front Joe can plug into anything and sound like Joe. It’s in the hands. Ok now that’s off my chest. Dialing in the tone obviously depends on the amp. I do not have your particular gear but perhaps others will and respond. What I will say is he gets the overdriven tones from the amp by turning it up lol ad and letting it bloom. On your amp try to adjust until you start to hear breakup. Dial in mids and add some treble to get sheen. Careful with the bass for that will get loader as you turn up volume. After you have the amp singing add effects to your liking keeping in mind they are just a pinch of salt and pepper. So not having your gear that’s the best I can do. Another approach would be to listen to the tune that you are trying to get the tone from with headphones on while playing your amp. Yes it will sound muffled but surprisingly I have been able to dial in tone this way then tweet when I take off the headphones. Helps on ear fatigue as you are trying to dial it in. Most important have fun
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

So I just looked up on YouTube your amp running with humbuckers (different types) and I have to say why on earth would you want to change that tone.. it's amazing.  I have never heard of those amps but wow! what a beautiful sound.

From what I can tell all you need if you want to get closer to Joe's tone is turn up the treble on the amp a little. But like I said. the sound samples I heard were spectacular.

NickelWound wrote:

So I just looked up on YouTube your amp running with humbuckers (different types) and I have to say why on earth would you want to change that tone.. it's amazing.  I have never heard of those amps but wow! what a beautiful sound.

From what I can tell all you need if you want to get closer to Joe's tone is turn up the treble on the amp a little. But like I said. the sound samples I heard were spectacular.

What video did you watch?

5 (edited by NickelWound 2018-06-20 15:10:11)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZWEr-AqEJU
advance to 5:15 or start at the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAE3JM40vBs
advance to 2:10 or just start at the beginning

It is true the guitar is not the same as yours but this is not a sound that I would want to change. Maybe that's just my old ears. I think you have a jewel of an amp. Dialing in the right sound can be tricky but with a 'base' sound like this old amp has, I can't see how you could miss nailing a great tone.

Since tone is in the fingers, amp settings don't matter.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:

But of course battery brand does.... smile

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Adrian J wrote:
macg1 wrote:

But of course battery brand does.... smile

Yep! And always make sure to plug your cables in the same direction, ALWAYS. It aligns the electrons for best tone.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD