Topic: Article: greatest guitars of all time

Why 1958-1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard Sunbursts are among the greatest guitars of all time:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/why-195 … f-all-time

"“There are ’59s that sound better and play better than others. I’m not a scientist but I have been told that it has a lot to do with wood grain. If you look at the back of a Les Paul and see that the grain is very swirled, you know the mahogany grain is not as straight, I think that affects the sustain of the body. The notes just don’t travel as far. “I’ve also been told that not all PAFs were created the same. Not every Gibson PAF is a great pickup.”

Re: Article: greatest guitars of all time

reo l wrote:

Why 1958-1960 Gibson Les Paul Standard Sunbursts are among the greatest guitars of all time:

"“There are ’59s that sound better and play better than others. I’m not a scientist but I have been told that it has a lot to do with wood grain. If you look at the back of a Les Paul and see that the grain is very swirled, you know the mahogany grain is not as straight, I think that affects the sustain of the body. The notes just don’t travel as far. “I’ve also been told that not all PAFs were created the same. Not every Gibson PAF is a great pickup.”

Many things also the fact the wood was top notch, well not all in fact QA who knows, and now they are aged. Although many sounded different and like mentioned the PAF tended to be different from guitar to guitar. Well in fact many attributes of each guitar where different at times. I have played one 59 and it was magical.

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Thanks two for posting the article it is very interesting.
It’s a bit mind boggling to think there is so much difference in those guitars.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

reo l wrote:

I think the wood thing when it comes to electric guitars is mostly hype. If you watch the Anderton shootouts on Youtube or Scott Grove you see a lot of myths busted.

There is proven variance in pickups of the same brand and model.  You really have to audition a guitar before you buy it. If it's a collector guitar not so much.