1 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-06-29 03:16:29)

Topic: Kris Barras Band

I think this is another new name thread to the forum, and a one long overdue a mention though I believe Walter once gave Kris a nod a couple of years back.

I admit, I knew nothing about Kris & the band before catching his set at Hartlepool on Saturday night but the Western Sand lads said the he was something a bit special as they'd done a few festivals together over the past few years - both bands being from the South West (Sandies from Bournemouth, Kris from Torguay). Tell you what, they weren't kidding. Even though Kris has been touring for over a dozen years, it was his first time in this corner of the country, but his talent really showed. Almost effortlessly he picked up the Hartlepool crowd and had them in his corner from the get-go. Even the new material from an upcoming third album won the approval of the Belle Vue crowd as the band put everything into their set.

Hope this guy comes back up here soon - he's a real deal. Or, as a local said, "he's different gravy". No, I'm not sure what it means either, but I'm told its a compliment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASCHROCAYU

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Kris Barras Band

Just been listening to Kris’ live CD - A-Live & Lucky,  recorded a few month ago at Harrogate Warehouse Recording Co. No surprises that it’s a stormer of a show. Even though Kris looks like Ben Poole’s big brother, his sound is much more rock and direct though he can slow it down and put his heart on his sleeve (somewhere among all those tattoos) on tracks like Watching Over Me. Excellent telecaster twisting take on All Along The Watchtower to wind-up the main set as well as Hendrix’ Red House are the only covers, the rest being Kris’ own material.

Great supporting work from Kris’ band;Will Beavis on drums, Huw Weston on keys & backing vocals and Elliott Blackler in for the usual Ricky Mitchell on Bass & vocals for the first time.

Haven’t yet had the chance to view the accompanying DVD, but if you’re in the mood for some “raw meat” blues/rock:-
Sep 3 Bar Brunel Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Sep 10 Eklectica festival   Isle Of Wight, United Kingdom
Sep 23 Bluesrock Fest Gravesend, United Kingdom
Sep 27 Downtown Blues Club Winterhude, Germany
Sep 30 RAWA Blues Festival Katowice, Poland
Oct 1 Pjetka Music Club Ostrava, Czech Republic
Oct 2 Muzeum Obchudo Bratislava, Slovakia
Oct 3 OKV Ebersbach, Germany
Oct 5 BLM Rostock, Germany
Oct 6 Kongebryg Næstved, Denmark
Oct 18 Vaktbua Kristiansand, Norway
Oct 20 Gamle Total Tønsberg, Norway
Oct 21 Sorsia Rock & Bluesklubb Oslo, Norway
Nov 18 The Palladium Club Bideford, United Kingdom

Apr 13 The Musician Leicester, United Kingdom
Apr 14 O2 Academy Sheffield Sheffield, United Kingdom

Hartlepool Supporters - 7th April.

Well, a sold-out Hartlepool Supporters were serving that “different gravy” again on Saturday; this time a larger portion at Kris & his band were invited back as headliners. And wow, how they’ve grown into it in the space of a year. Will Beavis and Elliott Blackler remain tight on drums and bass and keyboards now manned by the impressively bearded Josiah J Manning (who also produced the latest album).

The night kicked off with a capable, strong set from Ireland’s Blackwater Conspiracy who sounded something like The Quireboys dong Southern Rock; not a bad way to start an evening.

However, the night was Kris’ and he took full advantage, sandwiching new songs like Propane & Hail Mary in between his slightly older material from Lucky 13. Odd to note on the newer stuff, and maybe it’s just me, but there are vocal similarities with Jon Bon Jovi, but comparisons end there. As well as powering the usual Telecaster and Stratocaster, Kris showed an almost Rory Gallagher-like touch on a 6 string cigar-box guitar but didn’t do any Rory covers, opting instead for a Gary Moore-esque Stormy Monday (as if we need any more of those…) and a powerful All Along The Watchtower. That was toward the end of the set, but probably the highlight was Kris’ tribute to his late father, Watching Over Me which had Hartlepool on it’s feet as the last notes faded out.

That surely meant an encore from the band, and they duly obliged, closing the night with a romping Further On Down The Road which had “Pools” crowd baying for more “gravy”.

Kris’ star is certainly on the ascension after years of refining his craft down in the S.W and round Europe; the Mascot label deal may have come out of the blue, but on the strength of this showing, he’s proving he bloody well deserves it.

And he is part of Supersonic Blues Machine for their European tour.

Kenny wrote:

And he is part of Supersonic Blues Machine for their European tour.

Plenty of other spring/summer dates coming up, including a very tasty support slot starting Thursday:-

Apr 12 Thu
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Ipswich Regent Theatre (IP4 1HE)

Apr 13 Fri
Kris Barras Band, Robert J Hunter, Hubcap - Leicester The Musician (LE1 2DE) 

Apr 14 Sat
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Bexhill-on-Sea De La Warr Pavilion (TN40 1DP)

Apr 14 Sat / Apr 15 Sun
HRH Blues Weekend 4  - Sheffield O2 Academy Sheffield (S1 2PN)

Apr 15 Sun
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Nottingham Theatre Royal and Royal Concert Hall (NG1 5ND) 

Apr 18 Wed
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Oxford New Theatre Oxford (OX1 2AG)

Apr 19 Thu
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Folkestone  Leas Cliff Hall (CT20 2DZ)

Apr 21 Sat
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Cardiff St David's Hall (CF10 1AH)

Apr 24 Tue
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Cambridge: Cambridge Corn Exchange (CB2 3QB)

Apr 26 Thu
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Blackpool; Blackpool Winter Gardens (FY1 1HW) 

Apr 27 Fri
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band -  Hull City Hall (HU1 3RQ)

Apr 30 Mon
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Reading Hexagon (RG1 7UA)

May 01 Tue
Beth Hart, Kris Barras Band - Portsmouth Guildhall (PO1 2AJ)

Jun 02 Sat
Camden Rocks Festival 2018 - London - Various Venues 

Jun 15 Fri / Jun 16 Sat
Loverocks 2018 - Bournemouth St Leonards Farm Park (BH22 0AQ)

Jun 20 Wed
London The Borderline (W1D 4JB)

Jun 21 Thu
Nottingham Rock City (NG1 5GG)

Jun 22 Fri
Kris Barras Band, Scott Wainwright - Huddersfield  Marsh Blues Club (HD1 5RA)

Jul 06 Fri
Linton Festival:
Think Floyd, Pat McManus, Kris Barras Band  - Ross-On-Wye  Alma Inn (HR9 7RY)