1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-11-04 10:15:37)

Topic: Sean Webster

If ever a guy is criminally under mentioned on the forum, it has to be Sean Webster. I've checked, and don't think he's broke surface on here since Newark 2010, however, I have learned that a good part of the intervening time Sean has been living in Australia, though I gather he's now back in Holland.

Over the week-end, Sean and band paid their first visit to Darlington in 6 years, and it showed why the R'n'B Club regulars hadn't forgotten him; a pacKed Forum came for a night of pure class from start to finish. Not only does Sean have a powerful guitar sound, but he posesses a powerful, gravelly, soulful voice to match and well he proved it in a powerful take on Etta James' Rather Be Blind and even "stole" Feels Like Rain from Alan Nimmo & King King as well as putting hairs on the chest of a couple of Jonny Lang numbers, Lie To Me and A Quitter Never Wins. And not content with that, Sean's older and newr songs stood well along side a bold cover of his mate Ian Siegal's numbers.

Super tight and fluid backline made this a memorable night and fingers crossed we don't have to wait another 6 years for a return visit.

Some upcoming dates for Sean:-

Friday, November 8, 2013  Easington

Saturday, November 9, 2013
Carlisle Blues festival ( Guest Only )
Swallow Hilltop Hotel - Carlisle, Cumbria. CA1 2NS

Sunday, November 10, 2013
Carlisle Blues festival ( Guest Only )
Swallow Hilltop Hotel - Carlisle, Cumbria. CA1 2NS

Friday, November 22, 2013  Barrow Blues Club
Bar Continental - Barrow in Furness, Cumbria. LA14 1LG

Saturday, November 23, 2013  Maryport Navy Club - Maryport, Cumbria. CA15 1AB

Sunday, December 1, 2013  Meppel Blues festival
Cafe de Tapperij - Meppel

Saturday, December 7, 2013
Bluessoci�teit L'Esprit - 3079 GX ROTTERDAM

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Sean Webster

I'd Rather Go Blind from a gig last month, Poland(?). Awesome vocal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGnTVq7GYg

Thanks for the reminder Mike.  I've got a couple of his albums and listened to some songs yesterday.  Would love to see him live myself.

OT - Loved the pics you sent.

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-11-05 08:44:11)

Sean was selling a new album on Friday night - The First 10 Years - not so much a "Best of" but half a look back at favourite songs from his first 2 albums and the remainder is new stuff he's recorded in Holland and Australia.

Had a look round Amazon yesterday, and found Sean's If Only album for a ridiculously low prices, so it's in the post as I type.

He blew the audience away in Carlisle on Saturday when he joined Jon Amor for a rendition of I'd rather go blind. Stunning version, especially the vocal!!

Hey guys,
THANKS ALOT for the kind words. I'm not really one for being on forums but I saw your posts about me and the kind words about Carlisle and I just wanted to say thanks.
Keep up to date on my website for new gigs and some exciting news coming soon!!!

After the crackin' gig in Darlington, looking forward to more shows in the N.East in 2014. Already have Guisborough down in the diary.

Sean's got a gig lined up for March 7th @ Mainsforth Community Centre, Ferryhill, Co. Durham.

tix on door....

Hmm, so a 4 years wait to catch Sean again at Darlington as opposed to 6; but then that’s down more to me than Sean not touring. Still, it was more than worth the wait; he’s put out a couple of brilliant CDs in the intervening time, as well as incorporated a keyboard player.

Once again though, Sean and the guys delivered a monster of a night; powerful bluesy soul of the highest order. It’s hard to pick out any one particular song, but you can’t not mention Sean’s take on Rather Go Blind, and when you do, adjectives like “definitive” come readily to hand. Though, if you mention a cover then you’ve got to balance with an original like Hear Me Now. That was the balance of the evening; a Webster original, and let’s face it, the last two albums provide rich pickings, with powerful & inventive covers; John Mayer’s Slow Dancing… with Stevie Wonder insert (Isn’t She Lovely) and I Shot The Sherriff, owing slightly more to Bob Marley than Eric Clapton.

Sean’s also got together a really smokin’ band. great interplay with Hilbrand Bos on keys and a formidable backline Ruud Gielen on drums and Vincent Leatemia on bass. Solid backing for Sean’s soulful, gravelly vocals and that tone on the Les Paul; like a horny angel….... Gotta catch these guys more often.

That had to be one of the oddest double-header pairings I’ve seen for a long time. Sean Webster was up first, by virtue of having the longest through-the-night drive, and played it like a man possessed. That soul-tinged, world-weary growl of Sean’s matched perfectly by the howl of his Les Paul, like a horny angel…. Ninety minutes of rocking Blues from Sean’s most recent releases as well as laying claim to John Mayer’s Slow Dancing… along side what has to be the definitive Rather Go Blind. As ever, Sean’s backing band are up the challenge of keeping up with the boss, even when he and keyboard player Hilbrandnip off stage for a well-earned pint, Ruud (drums) & Floris (bass) still playing up a storm.

11 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-01-09 06:21:58)

Sean & band are doing a short Winter/Spring tour, the last 3 dates of which they're recording for a LIVE release later in the year. (Just hope they remember this time at Ferryhill….)

Jan 26 Sat
Asser Blues Dagen ( SOLO ACOUSTIC )
Assen, Netherlands

Jan 26 Sat
Asser Blues dagen ( SOLO ACOUSTIC Later Show )
Assen, Netherlands

Jan 27 Sun
Café Restaurant Eindeloos
Emmeloord, Netherlands

Feb 23 Sat
Delft Blues Festival
Delft, Netherlands

Feb 24 Sun
Barista Cafe Njoy
Den Helder, Netherlands

Mar 15 Fri
Boarhunt Blues Club
North Boarhunt, United Kingdom

Mar 16 Sat
LIVE ALBUM RECORDING!!!
Louth, United Kingdom

Mar 21 Thu
LIVE ALBUM RECORDING !!!
Kendal, United Kingdom

Mar 23 Sat
LIVE ALBUM RECORDING !!!
Ferryhill, United Kingdom

Word is, they really tore it up at Hartlepool Supporters on the 5th....

Little teaser video from Sean Webster's Ferryhill show (Sat 23rd), one of the three done for "live" recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mgPu9YMLZo