Topic: Quilter Amps

If you are a gigging musician and generally use a clean amp as a pedal platform, I would recommend looking into the Quilter 101 head. It won't sound as pristine as your old Fender, but it is a very good sounding amp.  Gigging musicians should carry them as a back up amp. Small enough to fit on a pedal board and very light, but plenty of power.  I just bought one as a back up for my old Blackface Bassman head, and am very happy with the Quilter.  I spoke with a musician on Broadway Street in Nashville and he said several guitarists that play regularly in the bars on Broadway Street are using Quilter amps.  Mainly because the power in the older part of Nashville is very unstable, and it can be very rough on tube amps.  I picked mine up for $260 used.

Re: Quilter Amps

HoosierRock wrote:

If you are a gigging musician and generally use a clean amp as a pedal platform, I would recommend looking into the Quilter 101 head. It won't sound as pristine as your old Fender, but it is a very good sounding amp.  Gigging musicians should carry them as a back up amp. Small enough to fit on a pedal board and very light, but plenty of power.  I just bought one as a back up for my old Blackface Bassman head, and am very happy with the Quilter.  I spoke with a musician on Broadway Street in Nashville and he said several guitarists that play regularly in the bars on Broadway Street are using Quilter amps.  Mainly because the power in the older part of Nashville is very unstable, and it can be very rough on tube amps.  I picked mine up for $260 used.

I tried one out for me it was ok. But that doesn’t mean much we all hear things different. I found it hard to dial in or somewhat confusing. It definitely sounds good. Perhaps for studio or backup. That’s just me. Happy it worked for you. Then again I did not have long to try one
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I agree Ron. The EQ is confusing. But I eventually dialed in a pretty good clean sound.  It needs a reverb pedal and/or delay to soften it up some. It will never replace my old Fenders but, it could be a lifesaver when playing live if your main amp bites the dust.  It would definitely allow a guy to finish a gig and still sound decent.

HoosierRock wrote:

I agree Ron. The EQ is confusing. But I eventually dialed in a pretty good clean sound.  It needs a reverb pedal and/or delay to soften it up some. It will never replace my old Fenders but, it could be a lifesaver when playing live if your main amp bites the dust.  It would definitely allow a guy to finish a gig and still sound decent.

Awesome

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Take a look at a Traynor Quarter Horse.
Size of a large foot pedal. 25w. Has clean dirty channels. Reverb and delay all built in

It's a good backup amp "head-pedal" as well

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

Take a look at a Traynor Quarter Horse.
Size of a large foot pedal. 25w. Has clean dirty channels. Reverb and delay all built in

It's a good backup amp "head-pedal" as well

I have tried that also. I guess I am just old school give me a tube amp set at it’s sweet spot then tone heaven. If I can’t get the tone without blowing the windows out get a smaller tube amp. Or what I do in the studio sometimes is use a attenuator. The best I have run across is the Torpedo Reload by Two Notes. At the end of the day it’s what you like that counts

7 (edited by DougH 2018-02-10 09:28:44)

Agree..  tube #1

But the comment was for a backup amp...  I guess instead of lugging around a 2nd heavy tube combo

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I agree whole heartedly gentlemen and prefer old hand wired tube amps over anything else.  But as I get older I prefer not to pack another large amp to a gig.  The Quilter is a nice security blanket if old amps fail.

I'm considering a Boss Katana as a backup amp. Cheap enough, lightweight (compared to tube amp) and sounds decent enough to at least get through a gig with if my main amp failed. They even do a head version!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Adrian J wrote:

I'm considering a Boss Katana as a backup amp. Cheap enough, lightweight (compared to tube amp) and sounds decent enough to at least get through a gig with if my main amp failed. They even do a head version!!

I have the Boss 100 combo and it is superb especially when you have a play with the on-board effects. I think the clean and crunch are the best and I use mine with pedals. The two eq's you get (since the upgrade) are excellent. I don't use most of the effects but they are the real deal. It is also loud and easily loud enough for gigs on the 50 watt setting. If you do get one get the Roland foot controller which gives you access to eight channels ( nine if you count the panel) and also lets you turn on and off the effects at a switch individually. I don't use my valve amp any more. Also it is light. If you do go for it you will be pleasantly surprised. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:
Adrian J wrote:

I have the Boss 100 combo and it is superb especially when you have a play with the on-board effects. I think the clean and crunch are the best and I use mine with pedals. The two eq's you get (since the upgrade) are excellent. I don't use most of the effects but they are the real deal. It is also loud and easily loud enough for gigs on the 50 watt setting. If you do get one get the Roland foot controller which gives you access to eight channels ( nine if you count the panel) and also lets you turn on and off the effects at a switch individually. I don't use my valve amp any more. Also it is light. If you do go for it you will be pleasantly surprised. big_smile

Good to know.

It would only ever be a backup amp though... I love my valves too much. Even a Kemper does do it for me!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet