Topic: Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee RI vs Ceriatone 2555

Considering one of the above amps but wondering whether there's much difference in tone (assuming same player, guitar, speaker cab etc) between tge 2?

Which sounds closer to the originals?

Might not even go that route, other possibilities include a Ceriatone JTM50 or a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100.

Whatever amp I go with will be paired with my Fender ML212 Deville.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Re: Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee RI vs Ceriatone 2555

I have never used a Ceriatone amp but have talk to a number of touring guitarists that do and they love them.  I have thought about buying one a number of time.  They have a good line-up of amps.

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Adrian J wrote:

Considering one of the above amps but wondering whether there's much difference in tone (assuming same player, guitar, speaker cab etc) between tge 2?

Might not even go that route, other possibilities include a Ceriatone JTM50 or a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100.

I have several original Silver Jub if you are interested

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Adrian J wrote:

Thanks, but unless you're open to stupidly low offers, then given you're in the States (unless I'm mistaken) and I'm in the UK, I would be able to buy a brand new 2555X for less than an original.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Adrian J wrote:
cindyron wrote:
Adrian J wrote:

Thanks, but unless you're open to stupidly low offers, then given you're in the States (unless I'm mistaken) and I'm in the UK, I would be able to buy a brand new 2555X for less than an original.

All true but they do not sound the same. Happy hunting

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Adrian J wrote:
cindyron wrote:

I just want to add to Ron's point. It is ALWAYS best to save dough and make smart purchases rather than the "buy low, regret, sell lower" cycle of fiscal regret. I went into credit card debt because of it, took years to climb out of it, and now I only make fiscally responsible purchases (cash, or sell/trade to break even). I know GAS is ultimately this thing we cannot seemingly control, but if you want the Silver Jubilee tone, the original ones are the ones to get. Surely you could find some boutique quality builds. The Lerx from Mojotone is a possibility, but after you compare cost between that and the real deal and the fact that you may experience what I call the "Epiphone effect" or the "it looks like the real deal but it isn't" and you end up selling that gear at a loss anyhow, it is best to save and get the real thing. Trust me, the waiting literally is the hardest part, but well worth it.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:
cindyron wrote:
Adrian J wrote:

I just want to add to Ron's point. It is ALWAYS best to save dough and make smart purchases rather than the "buy low, regret, sell lower" cycle of fiscal regret. I went into credit card debt because of it, took years to climb out of it, and now I only make fiscally responsible purchases (cash, or sell/trade to break even). I know GAS is ultimately this thing we cannot seemingly control, but if you want the Silver Jubilee tone, the original ones are the ones to get. Surely you could find some boutique quality builds. The Lerx from Mojotone is a possibility, but after you compare cost between that and the real deal and the fact that you may experience what I call the "Epiphone effect" or the "it looks like the real deal but it isn't" and you end up selling that gear at a loss anyhow, it is best to save and get the real thing. Trust me, the waiting literally is the hardest part, but well worth it.

Oh, I am definitely in agreement over save and buy what you actually want after too many years of buying guitars and amps and selling them on at a loss to buy the next guitar or amp...

...15 years ago I didn't know what I had when I sold my mid 70s Marshall non-MV 50w plexi head....now I wish I'd kept it, but c'est la vie.

My main thing with regards to Ron's offer is that the cost (and potential for damage) associated with posting a 100W amp from the USA, as well as having to sort out the difference in voltage etc would make it unviable economically.

I'm interested to know in what way they sound different? Marshall claim it's the same circuit and while I've been researching this I've read several reviews saying that the 2555x reissue sounds the same and that the originals had some variation in tone anyway due to tolerances of values of parts etc.

Genuinely curious. I have heard that the Ceriatone version is only close to the Jubilee sound though. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and that's what Ron was referring to??

I have not played through an original Silver Jubilee, but I've been using a Ceriatone 2555 for the past 6 or 7 years and I love it. Killer tone, and it's been gigged a ton with zero issues.

Listen to some tracks here (not a plug for my band, but I only used the Ceriatone Jubilee with a tubescreamer and a dejavibe)

https://wildhorserocks.bandcamp.com/tra … esse-james

https://wildhorserocks.bandcamp.com/track/steamtrain

Good luck!

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

9 (edited by macg1 2017-10-24 15:01:47)

Adrian J wrote:
macg1 wrote:
cindyron wrote:

Oh, I am definitely in agreement over save and buy what you actually want after too many years of buying guitars and amps and selling them on at a loss to buy the next guitar or amp...

...15 years ago I didn't know what I had when I sold my mid 70s Marshall non-MV 50w plexi head....now I wish I'd kept it, but c'est la vie.

My main thing with regards to Ron's offer is that the cost (and potential for damage) associated with posting a 100W amp from the USA, as well as having to sort out the difference in voltage etc would make it unviable economically.

I'm interested to know in what way they sound different? Marshall claim it's the same circuit and while I've been researching this I've read several reviews saying that the 2555x reissue sounds the same and that the originals had some variation in tone anyway due to tolerances of values of parts etc.

Genuinely curious. I have heard that the Ceriatone version is only close to the Jubilee sound though. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and that's what Ron was referring to??

Ok so the main issue with new vs old stuff is always... components!! Transformers will be made by different manufacturers, caps and resistors will not be the same no matter what Marshall says. You can buy a copy of the Mona Lisa, but it won't be as good. Be patient, save, use a pedal in the meantime, find something that is UK rated (some Marshalls actually have switchable voltage, so ask Ron about his), and as far as shipping goes, well... In the past 2 years I have bought the following via Reverb or forums with no issues (not counting pedals, of course):

1) 1971 Les Paul GT
2) 1965 SG Special
3) 1965 Firebird I
4) 1964 Firebird III
5) 1963 ES-355
6) Divided by 13 BTR23
7) 1963 Fender Pro

It is all about packaging and if somehow the deal with Ron can be worked out, there is probably no better person to make sure the gear is packaged safely. I never bought or sold anything with Ron but his reputation in this forum is second to just about none. Another question is, do you want a 100/50 or maybe it is best to find a 2553 (50/25)? Happy tone hunting!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:
Adrian J wrote:
macg1 wrote:

Ok so the main issue with new vs old stuff is always... components!! Transformers will be made by different manufacturers, caps and resistors will not be the same no matter what Marshall says. You can buy a copy of the Mona Lisa, but it won't be as good. Be patient, save, use a pedal in the meantime, find something that is UK rated (some Marshalls actually have switchable voltage, so ask Ron about his), and as far as shipping goes, well... In the past 2 years I have bought the following via Reverb or forums with no issues (not counting pedals, of course):

1) 1971 Les Paul GT
2) 1965 SG Special
3) 1965 Firebird I
4) 1964 Firebird III
5) 1963 ES-355
6) Divided by 13 BTR23
7) 1963 Fender Pro

It is all about packaging and if somehow the deal with Ron can be worked out, there is probably no better person to make sure the gear is packaged safely. I never bought or sold anything with Ron but his reputation in this forum is second to just about none. Another question is, do you want a 100/50 or maybe it is best to find a 2553 (50/25)? Happy tone hunting!

Thanks for the kind words macg1. I have just about every configuration of the original SJub. I have also tried the reissue. I can tell you it does not sound the same. Don’t get me wrong it sounds good but not like original SJub. For me the new ones are too high end heavy and does not feel as touch sensitive. The key to a lot of the tone in a SJub is the four diodes that are the key to its tone. A good friend of mine and a major boutique amp builder pointed it out to me. The matching of these four diodes is one of the key elements of there tone. So like I said the new reissues are good amps but they do not sound like the original release. Like anything these is depending on the ears of the listener so in the end you need to go with what YOUR ears tell you. Happy hunting
Cheers Ron