Topic: Does Joe have perfect pitch?

Does Joe have perfect pitch?

Re: Does Joe have perfect pitch?

I never heard of this question being asked or answered about joe. If I had to guess I would say yes, but I could be wrong. As a guitar player I have a pretty good ear, but not perfect pitch.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

3 (edited by Rocket 2017-08-12 15:20:48)

Hell no, I don't think so, in my opinions...

Definitely not like the very, very rare whom are able to produce sonically perfect (i.e., no under or overtones) totally effortless (seemingly), perfectly placed tonality expressions at any instance, virtually anywhere and anyhow with a vocal expression.

But he does have "golden ears"...in my opinions. 

I believe a large portion of what Joe wrangles out of his guitars has an exact, or at least nearly exact match to the notes, duration, and basic to complex harmonic envelopment he has in mind, whether his mind has conceived the expression in the past or right now in the present fleeting fingering festivities.

He makes mistakes in both modes, but close enough does count a little beyond horseshoes and hand grenades.  Especially if your perception never notices them...

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

per·fect pitch

/pərˈfekt piCH/

noun

noun: perfect pitch

the ability to recognize the pitch of a note or to produce any given note; a sense of absolute pitch. Absolute pitch, widely referred to as perfect pitch, is a rare auditory phenomenon characterized by the ability of a person to identify or re-create a given musical note without the benefit of a reference tone.

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Joe even jokes from time to time
That the bad/missed notes are free, he won't charge for those

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

Joe even jokes from time to time
That the bad/missed notes are free, he won't charge for those

True, but not really relevant to the question.

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

My guess he has "relative pitch".  From the ol' wikipedia

Relative pitch is the ability of a person to identify or re-create a given musical note by comparing it to a reference note and identifying the interval between those two notes.

Unlike absolute pitch (sometimes called "perfect pitch"), relative pitch is quite common among musicians, especially musicians who are used to "playing by ear", and a precise relative pitch is a constant characteristic among good musicians.

My son has perfect pitch.  It's pretty cool but it doesn't make him a good musician.  It's certainly a useful tool, particularly for transcribing.  A million outstanding, world-class musicians don't have perfect pitch.  Strong relative pitch is as valuable day-to-day, and practice is more important than either.  smile I would also argue that without good rhythm, the notes are irrelevant.  Even with perfect pitch you're not going to be a musician without those.  That said, it is pretty awesome to hear a melody once and be able to sit down at the piano and play it correctly in key, or sing any note on cue.

Around one in 10,000 people have perfect pitch (or, at least know they do, I suspect it's a bit more common but I haven't read the details of the research).  There are degrees of accuracy or sensitivity as well.  I've heard that some people who are particularly sensitive actually have a hard time listening to a lot of music because it's not perfectly in tune and it's irritating.  I would imagine instruments like guitar that are never quite in tune could be challenging for some ears.  Other folks aren't bothered by slight differences.

I haven't heard Joe ever mention having perfect pitch, and I don't have any reason to suspect he does.  Neat if so, but it doesn't change his music.