1 (edited by TeleMan23 2017-06-03 19:56:37)

Topic: Will Joe ever return to the marshalls?

Hey there fellow Joe B. fans. This morning I was watching my dvd of the Royal Albert Hall gig in 2013 and let me say one thing.... Tone! I really miss Joe's Marshall driven tone and I don't know about you but I was a little disappointed when Joe went to the tweed amps. The tweed tone almost sounds scooped and dull to me. So do you think Joe will ever return to his old Marshall friends?

Re: Will Joe ever return to the marshalls?

I could imagine that after some more time with the Fenders he will switch to the same method applying a Marshall, maybe a dimed Bluesbreaker, no Plexi or Marshall head.

I don't believe he will go back to the old multi brand setup and pedal gore ever again.

Jimi75 wrote:

I could imagine that after some more time with the Fenders he will switch to the same method applying a Marshall, maybe a dimed Bluesbreaker, no Plexi or Marshall head.

I don't believe he will go back to the old multi brand setup and pedal gore ever again.

I would love to see him use a blues breaker combo. I think what drove him to the tweeds was that he was looking for a more traditional blues type of tone. Believe me I'm a traditionalist when it comes to gear, but all I know is that I've seen him with both amps and the marshalls have so much more life imo

A two head setup, a Van Weelden and a SJ could do it all, really. But, I can see the lure of having access to so much gear and switching it all up for a year or two. New gear inspires new tunes and approaches. I wonder why JB never really used the Jim Kelley amps he loves a lot more. I know he used a head for a bit, but seems like the Kelley amps could really bridge the gap.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I feel exactly like TeleMan - the multiple-head rig with the Jubilee at the core was by far his best tone. I hate to say this but I have lost a bit of interest since he switched to the Tweeds. The day he returns to his earlier rig (in any form) will be Christmas and Easter rolled into one.

Jimi75 wrote:

Why wouldn't he? That's when he sounded his best.

Bluesbreaker wrote:
Jimi75 wrote:

Why wouldn't he? That's when he sounded his best.

I suppose he may disagree with you on this... Heck, I wish he went ALL the way back to the Budda and Silver Jubilee days. In a recent interview (can't remember where) apparently he sold all the Van Weeldens and such. It would be nice to see/hear him with at least the Borderline rig again and that wasn't ridiculously huge.

Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC

macg1 wrote:

A two head setup, a Van Weelden and a SJ could do it all, really. But, I can see the lure of having access to so much gear and switching it all up for a year or two. New gear inspires new tunes and approaches. I wonder why JB never really used the Jim Kelley amps he loves a lot more. I know he used a head for a bit, but seems like the Kelley amps could really bridge the gap.

I love his demo of the Jim Kelley amps. They do sound awesome.

I would not hold your breath I do not expect to see him return to Marshalls anytime soon. He loves the tone he is getting from the tweeds and a couple of pedals. It is amazing
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Go see Black Country Communion at a larger venue... you'll get a face full of Marshalls smile

11 (edited by cindyron 2017-08-10 18:42:47)

NickelWound wrote:

Go see Black Country Communion at a larger venue... you'll get a face full of Marshalls smile

Yup for BCC for sure......but who knows you may be surprisied

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Didn't he Instagram photos of his guitars and a HPTT when he was going to record the new BCC album??

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

I sure hope so. I was just watching/listening to a gig of his using the multi-amp setup and it really does sound better to me than his current rig. But, if he likes the the combo amps now, such is life.

14 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2017-12-15 16:50:28)

big_smile ... as some mentioned ... he'd dust some off for BCC at least.  (Looking forward to hearing 'em .. via YouTube big_smile ... and will be cool to see the Logo again in the backline ... it's been a while!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcvMbCqHpQA … ebonamassa
(12/15/17 4:10'ish EST)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

I think a SJ and a D-style would be more than enough. I am pretty sure he sold all his D-style amps, but after the old Budda rig, I think that would be a great compromise. Maybe, and call me crazy, he could even use his signature stuff big_smile. Just kidding... mostly.

macg1 wrote:

Maybe, and call me crazy, he could even use his signature stuff big_smile. Just kidding... mostly.

big_smile

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EHBx6Kdc1K0/V … 00/zot.gif

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

17 (edited by macg1 2017-12-18 07:14:24)

Well I will correct myself, I did se a pic of a Twinkleland, a Dumble and some SJs going on the BCC tour. I thought I had read somewhere that he sold all this stuff.

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ … e=5AD2FE28

18 (edited by RickB 2017-12-18 11:29:35)

Joe posted a snap of the BCC rig being readied for the UK gigs. Marshalls with original Robin Trower cabs!
He loves his vintage gear, and it will be loud!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381