Topic: Lower powered tone similar to High Powered Tweed Twin

So many of us here are fans of Joe's tweed tone, but how many of us can play an 80W Tweed Twin at the volume that they need to be played to sound their best?

I'm wondering if there is a way of getting relatively close to that tone at reasonable (small bar) volumes?

Would a 5E3 Deluxe put through either a single or a pair of 12" Celestions get there?

If not, what other options are there?

I'm considering getting a Tweed type amp to go alongside my HR Deville, but don't want it to be so loud that I can't make the most of it. I'll be getting a kit from Ceriatone or similar, so have many options.

Cheers guys and gals.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Re: Lower powered tone similar to High Powered Tweed Twin

Adrian J wrote:

So many of us here are fans of Joe's tweed tone, but how many of us can play an 80W Tweed Twin at the volume that they need to be played to sound their best?

I'm wondering if there is a way of getting relatively close to that tone at reasonable (small bar) volumes?

Would a 5E3 Deluxe put through either a single or a pair of 12" Celestions get there?

I'm considering getting a Tweed type amp to go alongside my HR Deville, but don't want it to be so loud that I can't make the most of it. I'll be getting a kit from Ceriatone or similar, so have many options.

Cheers guys and gals.

Attenuator

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Adrian J wrote:

Cheers guys and gals.

Attenuator

I've not heard great things about them though... Someone else suggested a PPIMV...said it works better with that circuit.

Another mate I was talking to this evening suggested getting a 59 Bassman clone as they're almost the same circuit and running that into 2 12" speakers...

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

4 (edited by macg1 2017-06-07 17:57:50)

Mojotone makes a version of the high power tweed twin with a post phase inverter master volume. it will work better than an attenuator since it won't kill dynamics. it's also a kit or you could buy it built.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:

Mojotone makes a version of the high power tweed twin with a post phase inverter master volume. it will work better than an attenuator since it won't kill dynamics. it's also a kit or you could buy it built.

Hadn't seen that...liking the look of that...doesn't look to expensive if I get it as a kit and source speakers and cabinet in the UK (saving on shipping)...

Adrian J wrote:
macg1 wrote:

Hadn't seen that...liking the look of that...doesn't look to expensive if I get it as a kit and source speakers and cabinet in the UK (saving on shipping)...

That's the way to do it. Just get the kit. Speakers and cabs are dime a dozen.

Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC

7 (edited by StefanFreyr 2017-06-23 08:43:37)

I have a Mojotone High Power Tweed twin clone. I built it with two 6L6's so it is "only" 40W. The kit does not come with a post-phase-inverter master volume but it is very easy to install. I also used Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers instead of the Mojotone speakes. Here are two clips of me playing straight into the amp at very low volume:

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m /watch?v=wa0tbxAazn8
h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m /watch?v=ElP2P0tgkqo

I had to add spaces in the links because I am not allowed to post links here. I would be very grateful if someone would post the links correctly here below (without the spaces).

8 (edited by Adrian J 2017-06-23 11:51:47)

Next question, how do the 5F6 Bassman and 5F8 Twin differ tonally? I appreciate the difference in output will effect clean headroom, andvthe different speaker config in their stock combo form will have implications. But if you took each circuit, turned it into a head and ran them through the same speaker setup, would the Bassman give the same tone just with less headroom than the Twin??

StefanFreyr wrote:

I have a Mojotone High Power Tweed twin clone. I built it with two 6L6's so it is "only" 40W. The kit does not come with a post-phase-inverter master volume but it is very easy to install. I also used Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers instead of the Mojotone speakes. Here are two clips of me playing straight into the amp at very low volume:

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m /watch?v=wa0tbxAazn8
h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m /watch?v=ElP2P0tgkqo

I had to add spaces in the links because I am not allowed to post links here. I would be very grateful if someone would post the links correctly here below (without the spaces).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0tbxAazn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=ElP2P0tgkqo

smile
Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Adrian J wrote:

Next question, how do the 5F6 Bassman and 5F8 Twin differ tonally? I appreciate the difference in output will effect clean headroom, andvthe different speaker config in their stock combo form will have implications. But if you took each circuit, turned it into a head and ran them through the same speaker setup, would the Bassman give the same tone just with less headroom than the Twin??

More headroom on the Twin compared to Bassman. The overall circuit layout is pretty similar, especially the input stage, but because of different power handling abilities they have different PT, OT, chokes and of course component values in the power section to make them work. If you were to remove two tubes from a Twin, like a lot of people tend to do with the Blackface Twins (I am not suggesting anyone to do this nor do I know if this works on a Tweed) or even some 100W Marshalls, I would suspect in a blind test, one would be hard pressed to find a night/day difference.

Sorry I am chiming in kinda late, I have been searching for a low cost way to replicate the 5F8-A High Power Tweed Twin tone and the best I have come up with is this "Mad Professor Big Tweedy Overdrive"  I ordered a used one and am awaiting its arrival this week. Can't wait to try it out.