Topic: Springfield, Illinois - March 15, 2017

Truthfully, I am not sure how to go about this review other than straight on.

Me: This was my very first Joe Bonamassa concert. I am a 50-something dye-in-the-wool Classic Rock/Southen Rock fan with limited interest in other types of music. Sad I know. But as time passes, my interests are changing. I started listening to JB several months ago, and bought many of the CD and DVD. I knew then I found an artist that could break me from my old musical tastes. I estimate that I have been to over 400 different big name shows over the past 40 years. I am not bragging, just stating the facts. This does not make me an expert, but instead makes me experienced.

Venue:  Sangamon Auditorium on the campus of University Of Illinois - Springfield. My first visit to this 2000 seat auditorium. Nothing fancy, but small an intimate.

Arrival: My wife and I arrived one hour before the show. I snuck around and got pictures of the tour trucks with hopes of magically seeing Joe or someone from the band - No dice. As we entered the venue they had bar service set up so we had a few hot toddy's.

Fifteen minutes before the show: We enter the auditorium and  I had grave concerns! The seats were less than 1/2 full and I thought this will be an embarrassment to the city and to the University. Joe is going to look out and never return!

SHOWTIME!

•    Opening song was "This Train" as has been reported on most set lists I have seen posted here. From that point on. Joe and the band torn the damn place down!

•    We had balcony seats. I looked down and then around and was very happy to see the seats were full!

•    I tried to keep a set list, but decided to enjoy my first show and not worry about it

•    My big "Holy Crap!" moment was when they played "Blues Of Desperation". I like the harder edged stuff and this song has become one of my favorites. But hearing it live was a total emersion into how damn good Joe and this band really is. The double foot base of Anton and the bass line by Michael were penetrating sounds of eargasms! The whole building shook and Joe put everyone on notice that he came to play loud and fierce!

•    Once "Blues Of Desperation" was over, I swear Abe Lincoln heard the thundering Joe Bonamassa Band and awoke from his tomb a few miles away! He walked across the hall to Mary and told her to get up, they had another  theater date to attend!!

•    I lost track of how many "Holy Crap!" moments I had. Seriously, every song (EVERY SONG!) produced several. "How Deep This River Runs" was pure bliss from start to finish and held true to the album version, only the guitar playing was so much better being live.

•    Being a newer fan, I have come to appreciate the slower ballad type songs and once again, being live just made them even better.

•    Joe didn't appear to have many lasting effects from the bronchitis, or if he did, he masked them well because he was strong in voice and his guitar playing was... Well, we all know what that answer is.

•    I was taken aback by the crowd. I am use to standing and cheering at the concerts I usually attend. To see most everyone sitting, but going nuts at the end of songs was just different for me. But..... I really can see why. I was looking for the perfect word to describe a Joe Bonamassa performance and the one that I think fits best is "MESMERIZED".  I think people are just so mesmerized at what they are seeing and what they are hearing, they don't want to miss it by standing and cheering and trust me I appreciate that! I've always hated going to concerts and missing so much of it because of the crowds behavior.

•    The band was tight and powerful. This is the result of having the right players for your music. Extremely well schooled and professional, I found myself watching them as much as Joe. I really wanted to take in the full concert.

•    I would rank this as the second best concert I have ever seen! trust me, that is extremely high praise... Nothing will ever top seeing Lynyrd Skynyrds  second to last show in Lakeland, Florida on October 18, 1977 with the original members. Two days later the "Freebird" fell from the sky and my world fell with it

•    Where would I rank Joe as a guitar player? Among the very best I have ever heard! I have favorites like David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) The late Steve Gaines (Lynyrd Skynyrd) Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) Jimi Hendrix, SRV, George Harrison and Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) to name a few. But after seeing Joe live, there is no doubt that he has climbed that chart of "best ever" for a reason.

•    There was some violence to report. At the end of the show, it was reported that Joe left behind the carnage of strangled guitar necks all over the stage!

•    I am mad at myself for closing the doors to new artists. But thankful I am breaking away from that.

•    I have a new favorite and his name is Joe Bonamassa.........

Re: Springfield, Illinois - March 15, 2017

I just wanna add one small criticism....

Joe, don't wear light colored suits, makes it VERY hard to see you when the spot lights are on you. smile

SPIRIT!!!!! What an amazing review! Read it twice. And almost felt like being on that concert myself. Thank you.

Awesome review Spirit! There really is nothing like being there hearing it live with the sound enveloping you. Glad you had such a great time.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! cool  That's the Spear It!!!

Best review of the young year, so far! smile

RocK ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Just the ticket. A true Bonavirgin experience told true.
We all have been there. My own first was a noon lunchtime set at a festival. Sitting in my lawn chair and this band came out, started playing and in a few minutes, I turned to the wife and said, "Who the hell is this guy?!!! We were hooked solid.

I've heard many of the best like you, starting with Hendrix. Joe sits right in the middle of the top guns for sure. Best? Who can say at that exalted level? All the great players stand alone and he's one of them.

Ace report Spirit.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

7 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2017-03-16 21:15:43)

Thank you Spirit for posting a great read. Glad your experience was above what u may have even expected.

Your first is memorable indeed ... but a great thing about Joe's shows ... they never get old (the same old, same old).

Welcome!! ... (time to get an empty cookie jar out of the cabinet ... and start a ticket savings account.)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Great review Spirit.

I love reading reviews from people that are seeing joe for the first time.

Our first time, my wife and son and I ...all sat with our mouths opened wide and speechless.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

What a fun review to read, Spirit! I,too, was in a musical funk and then my brother-in-law turned on Palladia and said, "Barbie, you've got to see this." I was instantly hooked. And after our first Joe show in Spring 2011, we couldn't even speak!

Enjoy the ride!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

10 (edited by rdawsoniii 2017-03-17 09:54:28)

Great review!  Welcome to the world of Joe B.!

My son in law introduced me to Joe's music about 6 years ago and I've never looked back.  He is amazing!  And a super nice man to boot.

Great review and expressions about how I feel every time I see Joe live.  Glad that you've been bitten by the BonaBug too!

Thanks everyone. I had to clean it up because my language was a bit salty.

Looking at the Summer tour dates and hoping one ot two gets added closer to me.... or perhaps it's time for a road trip!

Somebody filmed a little bits of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvWehi47t0

reo l wrote:

Somebody filmed a little bits of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvWehi47t0

THANK YOU for posting this..... Looks like the guy put up around 8 videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVr3R5 … mp;sort=dd

Spirit wrote:

Thanks everyone. I had to clean it up because my language was a bit salty.

Looking at the Summer tour dates and hoping one ot two gets added closer to me.... or perhaps it's time for a road trip!

Road trips and meeting up with fellow Bonaholics is THE BEST. Do it if you can.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

16 (edited by reo l 2017-03-19 22:33:50)

Seems wrong to answer at somebody's thread, so I 'll move it here

"I am hooked, my wife is hooked and just today I had a cousin tell me they are now hooked as well" - lucky you! People around me kind of just curious, but not hooked. I will have a bunch of friends going with me to the concert this summer, so will see if things will change after that smile

( this forum's structure is so uninviting to write, one almost feels strange )

Spirit wrote:

Peoria, Il will be August 25th to make up for this March cancellation.

JJ wrote:
Spirit wrote:

Peoria, Il will be August 25th to make up for this March cancellation.

Working on tickets now!