Topic: LaVendore Rogue

Finally managed to catch these characters at the week-end, and was utterly blown away. Of course, expected a good night, afterall, no stranger to Hokie Joint, but had to reckon on this being a new band; not change a couple of members and call it Hokie MkII; this is more like Bad Company after Free or Whitesnake after Deep Purple.

JoJo still rules the stage with his Tom Waites growl and persona even more disreputable than Capt. Jack, Cupsy is still impassive behind the drum kit, like Charlie Watts' younger brother but Joel is given more elbow room for his guitar work, now weaving through Warren Lynn's keyboards; the whole lot nailed together by Rob Barry on bass.

Wanting to establish LVR in their own right, most of the set was drawn from the What's The Meaning of.... EP as well as some new numbers, and the sooner they're committed to recording, the better. However, the past wasn't entirely ignored and some Hokie favourites bubbled to the surface through out the split set (total 100+mins), including White Chocolate Cake, Ghost, Force of Habit: Franklin & The Way It Goes bringing the main set to a thundering close before a full on Lynyrd Skynyrd encore.

Obviously, there's a world of difference between the Rogues and Hokies, not least the loss of Giles King's harmonica; this gives them a rockier edge, and possibly will lose them some old fans but no doubt will gather them some new ones. Whatever people's opinions, this band is a party on 10 legs, not unlike The Faces of old in attitude.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: LaVendore Rogue

LaVendore Rogue consists of ex-Hokie Joint members JoJo Burgess on vocals, 2-time British Blues Award nominee, Hofner Guitar and Rotosound strings endorsee Joel Fisk and British Blues Award winning drummer Stephen “Cupsey” Cutmore and finished off with Rob “Tank” Barry on bass, and Warren Lynn on keyboards. LaVendore Rogue’s aim is not to forget their roots, but make it beyond the blues circuit they’ve previously conquered. With a combination of talent and experience LaVendore Rogue could prove to be one of the hottest up-and-coming crossover “roots” acts the UK has to offer.

Well, I guess it’s official now, Hokies are gone, and from the ashes rise LaVendore Rogue: I managed to get my hands on a copy of their debut full album; Light Up With…..

Like the live show, takes a little to get a handle on, they’ve moved on and shifted from the Hokie sound, different bassist and keyboard replacing harmonica, but the things that haven’t changed are Cupsey’s immaculate drumming, and JoJo’s tortured howl of a voice; Joel’s guitar comes a bit more to the fore.

To my ear, the opening track Dead Man’s Chest has a Rolling Stones sort of vibe to it, certainly a strong introduction to the album; from there, Jojo’s voice alternates from Tom Wait’s intensity to a “playful” Ian Anderson-esque edge. Strong track for me are Honey Murder, Tattoo, Gangsters, Thieves & Villains and Warren Zevon’s Play It All Night Long

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-03-20 08:13:35)

Jojo, Joel, Cupsy, Rob and Warren release their 1st Live album, as recorded in January at their gig at a certain County Durham Blues Club of our acquaintance, and mixed by Joel.

Pre-orders became available on March 17th and will be sent out from March 24th.

LaVendore Rogue - A Night In The North

Here’s a taster - The Chemist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxiavKeo4I8

Belle Vue; Hartlepool - 24th June

I really can’t believe that it’s been almost 3 years since I last caught Lavendore Rogue in Hartlepool, but look at the top of the thread….

Back then, still rising from the ashes of Hokie Joint, but now, phoenix risen and soaring. And believe me, after Tommy’s mini-Glastonbury line-up, getting the near capacity Belle Vue warmed to boiling point with a double volley of Western Sand and Kris Barras Band, JoJo, Joel, Cupsey, Warren & new guy on Bass, James Payze needed to be at the top of their game, and they were. JoJo was at his lascivious best as ringmaster, raconteur and vocalist extrordinaire; Joel the perfect guitar foil as well as serving rounding riposte to JoJo; top class drumming from Cupsey, proving you don’t have to hammer them like they’re about to attack you; Warren on the steam-powered Hammond providing lush soundscapes..

The Rogues started off at the Stonesy best, no compromise and out for blood but just at the right time, slowed down for a three song acoustic section, new boy James bringing on a huge doghouse bass as the band showed a more subtle and versatile side. Then, faster than Tommy could run down the room with a bottle of house red, a switch flicked and they were in full on party mode which they looked like they could have continued into the wee small hours.

Can’t leave the Hokie ghost totally to rest, but since their last showing in town the number of back catalogue numbers has decreased to two that I detected; Chocolate Cake and The Way It Goes…, the core, JoJo, Joel & Cupsey have moved on and they have a fine album of new material to show off as well as new songs on top of them; not only, but the guys are Blues rooted though as they admit, their interpretations may not float everyone’s boat, but their take on Charley Patton’s O Death is fine by me. Dynamite ending to a great evening’s music.

Darlington Forum - 8-6-18

Finally, a long overdue visit to Darlington Forum by LaVendore Rogue. They were originally scheduled for January but they elected to do the International Blue Challenge in Memphis that month; come on guys, Memphis over Darlington??? Oh well, you were representing your country….

So when JoJo, Joel & Cupsey were last in town, it was under the Hokey Joint banner so it made sense to light the blue touch-paper with The Way It Goes..Sometimes and from then on, they launched into the best gig I’ve seen them do to date. new numbers such as Spirit of 14 vied with Memphis inspired covers such as Rufus Thomas’ Midnight Train and Buffalo Springfield’s For What Its Worth, the latter including a superbly phrased solo from Joel’s guitar - the first ovation of the night. Then a change of gear, and a couple of acoustic numbers, Room With A View and Cruel World to calm the nerves before the set interval

The second half kicked off with the powerful Gangsters, Thieves & Villains as well as the cheeky Dead Man’s Chest; JoJo’s introductions and asides that would make even Leslie Philips blush..as would another dip into the Hokey’s history with White Chocolate Cake, this time with sublime interplay between Joel and warren on keys.. Somewhere in there, I’m sure was a cover of Paul Simon’s Graceland before JoJo’s sprawling monster track, apparently Moby Dick (Hemran Melville, not John Bonham)inspired.  And then it was a sprint for the line with Siesta Resistance and For King & Queen & Country closing an incendiary set.

Not getting away that easily; back on stage they came and romped You Can’t Always Get What You Want as good as well as Mick, Keef & Charlie could and then possibly the oddest choice to close a Blues show, another Memphis inspiration - Tennessee Waltz. Hey, only these guys, on this form could have the brass neck and get away with it.

One of the more idiosyncratic bands working the UK, and one of the hottest "must see's".

From a friend's Facebook.....  Hope the link works. Last half-hour of LVR's Darlington gig, Friday 8/6/18

https://www.facebook.com/john.tate.509/ … zMyMTc0MTI

Not quite sure when they slipped this one out,  but there’s a new album of sorts (half Memphis inspired EP of covers, half “live” album recorded, I guess at their Sedgefield return last May) ; From Tennessee to Teesside.

“Inspired by our trip to Memphis in January 2018, this album consists of 5 covers either recorded in, or written about Memphis. The second half of the album is a live, warts ‘n all recording of the band in concert in the North East of England in May 2018.”