1 (edited by Chawbacon 2016-08-06 12:38:51)

Topic: What is " Live Nation " ?

I understand they are part of Ticketmaster and there are certain venues which are considered  Live Nation venues.

Do acts contract with Live Nation ?   And then they can only appear at Live Nation venues ?   What exactly is Live Nation ?

We've had a brand new venue built here in my town, Oklahoma City.   Its considered a Live Nation venue.   A lot of us here were hoping this would help bring more acts to OKC,  it seats about 3,000 to 4,000 ,  depending upon configuration.   It seems a lot of acts would drive past OKC and go to Tulsa, Dallas, Kansas City,  because we did not have that mid size venue ............except for the country acts,  which it seems we get our fair share of the big arena country acts.

Soooo,  is our new venue totally dependent upon Ticketmaster to provide acts ?    They started off last spring going great guns, we had Gregg Allman and Widespread Panic ......... but they have three events for the next two months.    And overall, they've done very little blues/rock, which is the only genre I care about.

2 (edited by Rocket 2016-08-07 03:00:42)

Re: What is " Live Nation " ?

It's obviously a Professional Promtotion Consortium...

I have opposing opinions than what I proffer here regarding Joe only....

Regarding Joe only, I really separate all issues in how my Friend's entertainments are delivered. That includes price and provider!

...butt, that's me...  smile

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

3 (edited by jim m 2016-09-13 06:47:56)

Re: What is " Live Nation " ?

Chawbacon wrote:

I understand they are part of Ticketmaster and there are certain venues which are considered  Live Nation venues.

Do acts contract with Live Nation ?   And then they can only appear at Live Nation venues ?   What exactly is Live Nation ?

We've had a brand new venue built here in my town, Oklahoma City.   Its considered a Live Nation venue.   A lot of us here were hoping this would help bring more acts to OKC,  it seats about 3,000 to 4,000 ,  depending upon configuration.   It seems a lot of acts would drive past OKC and go to Tulsa, Dallas, Kansas City,  because we did not have that mid size venue ............except for the country acts,  which it seems we get our fair share of the big arena country acts.

Soooo,  is our new venue totally dependent upon Ticketmaster to provide acts ?    They started off last spring going great guns, we had Gregg Allman and Widespread Panic ......... but they have three events for the next two months.    And overall, they've done very little blues/rock, which is the only genre I care about.

It either owns, operates, leases or has exclusive booking rights at venues along with Ticketmaster which is a part of Live Nation. The concert business is about concessions. The acts get paid through ticket revenues and the promoter gets paid through ticket sales however the venue makes money when there are people to sell 6 dollar beer to. So Live Nation makes it's money not only on the ticket fees but every penny spent on food and beverage as well as rent and production costs of the actual show. Oh yes and a percentage of all merchandise the artist sells.

In the case of the Criterion I can only venture a guess about how it is run. The Leveland Productions people "Wormy Dog" somehow financed the building however the cost of booking the venue which includes the artist guarantees requires tremendous capital reserves. Enter Live Nation who probably  is leasing the room and paying them to operate it. So they have some kind of operations deal and percentage of the concessions. So Live Nation booked some shows to see how well the venue would work in this market and I can only guess not that great. If you have exclusive booking rights to a room you can release dates to outside promoters and so either Leveland could bring their own acts in along with other local or national promoters if Live Nation decides the room doesn't work for them and they would charge promoters rent and retain their concessions.

My personal thoughts on the room is it was poorly designed and not much if any better than the Chevy Bricktown Events center. Both seem to be poorly run.