Re: New JBonamassa.com Site

BarbieD wrote:

It seems I can only access this new web site through my Kindle or work computer. I cannot get it to work on my laptop. I’ve tried Chrome and IE. I can get to the home page with no problem but when I click on anything else it spins endlessly. And I don’t mean a few seconds. It never stops. Any suggestions?

Same here Barbie....I have no computer skills but I have a tab saved in my favs so I use that....

BarbieD wrote:

It seems I can only access this new web site through my Kindle or work computer. I cannot get it to work on my laptop. I’ve tried Chrome and IE. I can get to the home page with no problem but when I click on anything else it spins endlessly. And I don’t mean a few seconds. It never stops. Any suggestions?

Try jbonamassa.com/forum, it works for me.     

Bueno Suerte!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

21 (edited by DougH 2016-09-06 05:09:43)

I rarely go to the main site, pretty much have just this forum bookmarked.
I run Windows 7, Windows 10, BlackBerry phone and Android 4 tablet.

Have had little to no issues on. The new site.
There is a menu over lap on my BlackBerry phone display but that's it for my bug report

How about:
Instead of 3 red globes scrolling on that long screen load.
Put J O E in the red balls?

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

22 (edited by DougH 2016-09-06 12:04:01)

Just tried, think they're having some "frame" issues. with the main web site
hence your "text" until you click something.

as a main web page it's a pain.. if I was a new fan.. I'd probably just ignore the site.

---------------

I have always gone direct to the forum having saved the link on my iPad and smartphone.
Trying to get on the forum via the main site either gives you the text/basic page or bounces you onto the merchandise page.
Saving the link would appear to be the way ahead on this one.

Lester

Now that there is a new website, how about upgrading the forum to allow one to

a. Post photos and

b. actually receive notifications when responses are posted to a subscribed thread?

Bill

bluesky636 wrote:

a. Post photos and

b. actually receive notifications when responses are posted to a subscribed thread?

Well, as for b.
I am replying because I got an email notification about your response. So it's definitely working for me. I'd say to check spam settings and maybe even add webmaster@jbonamassa.com to your contact list to make sure it gets through.

As for a.
We'd love to upgrade the forums to something more modern that allows for new features, but people around here are pretty vocal about not changing things. This is an open-source PunBB board, so we can't really "upgrade" it. It's what it is and that's that. There's also no way we can find to port all posts/users to a new system, so that's out too.
Sorry, wish I could.

26 (edited by jim m 2016-09-09 16:30:26)

JBWM wrote:
bluesky636 wrote:

a. Post photos and

Well, as for b.
I am replying because I got an email notification about your response. So it's definitely working for me. I'd say to check spam settings and maybe even add webmaster@jbonamassa.com to your contact list to make sure it gets through.

As for a.
We'd love to upgrade the forums to something more modern that allows for new features, but people around here are pretty vocal about not changing things. This is an open-source PunBB board, so we can't really "upgrade" it. It's what it is and that's that. There's also no way we can find to port all posts/users to a new system, so that's out too.
Sorry, wish I could.

Once upon a time I would get email notifications but that ended years ago. Nothing in my spam filter. During one of the upgrades that went away. I don't know why but it did. Now I would suggest you check the reports on occasion and delete the reported spam. I'm subscribed to this topic if you reply I'm pretty sure I won't know about it unless I check back here to look.

JBWM wrote:

As for a.
Sorry, wish I could.

- I agree there are a lot of older people using this forum and they by nature are resistant to change, (did you say that? Well I did) put a bit of rap over a blues riff and they are reaching for their guns! - But sadly their dated attitude is killing it off, - I am sure that you have the stats on usage, but this forum usage has reduced massively over the last year or so, - as have many other message boards because people like the quick fix of a news feed on social media, - well Facebook, many of the oldies here cannot understand Twitter, despite the fact that if they got their heads around its simple functionality they would reap a lot of benefit from it! wink

A few years ago I also ran a forum run by open source free software, but had to move on, - we moved on to vBulletin.

ps, - you need to change something in the settings to stop links that people put in a post taking anybody that clicks on them out of this website, - they need to open in a new tab, - we have had tab browsing for many years now! smile

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

JBWM wrote:

As for a.
Sorry, wish I could.

lets face it that red/black interface you changed to sucks.. it really does.. that's why you got a lot of flack.
changing the colour interface functionality without changing actual function is/was sort of pointless.
yes some like the new colour scheme... I tried it for a short time and found it too irritating .

Check out some IP Board software that allows embedding of jpg's and mp4/youtube without having to have terabytes of storage for users.

check out: http://community.learnandmaster.com/
this has a really good colour scheme and allows users to post pictures and videos into the forum.

P.S.  JM .. I just posted here.. did you get an automatic update?

Doug

---------------

Doug, most if not all message board software allow for change of colour scheme, - JBWM, - if cost is an issue there are plenty of free packages that allow embedded images and links,  - another board I ran a few years ago used phpBB.  - Maybe have a look at what is used by mylespaul.com it certainly works for Joe as he often posts there! smile

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:

Ian916 wrote:

- I agree there are a lot of older people using this forum and they by nature are resistant to change, (did you say that? Well I did) put a bit of rap over a blues riff and they are reaching for their guns! - But sadly their dated attitude is killing it off, - I am sure that you have the stats on usage, but this forum usage has reduced massively over the last year or so, - as have many other message boards because people like the quick fix of a news feed on social media, - well Facebook, many of the oldies here cannot understand Twitter, despite the fact that if they got their heads around its simple functionality they would reap a lot of benefit from it! wink

A few years ago I also ran a forum run by open source free software, but had to move on, - we moved on to vBulletin.

ps, - you need to change something in the settings to stop links that people put in a post taking anybody that clicks on them out of this website, - they need to open in a new tab, - we have had tab browsing for many years now! smile

Yes there are many of us "older" folks on here but all of the ones I know are quite adept at social media (at least in FB and twitter form).  Many of us who seem resistant to change on here are more worried about this vast amount of Joe-world history disappearing permanently.  Also many of us enjoy the more human level this Forum has as compared to FB.  With Joe's huge rise in popularity his fb page has become very impersonal.  People come and go on here but a fairly solid core remains.  I read this everyday but don't always have something to post.  I do think this problem is only going to get worse since there is no dedicated button in the main categories at the top of the new website page and no mention of it under social media section.  I would love to post pictures directly on here as you can on other forums I have been a part of but it is certainly not a must-have for me.

Sandy aka one of the older people

p.s.  there are a few who come here regularly who do not use fb and twitter by choice - not because they can't figure it out but because of their own personal reasons

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

DougH wrote:
JBWM wrote:

As for a.
Sorry, wish I could.

lets face it that red/black interface you changed to sucks.. it really does.. that's why you got a lot of flack.
changing the colour interface functionality without changing actual function is/was sort of pointless.
yes some like the new colour scheme... I tried it for a short time and found it too irritating .

Check out some IP Board software that allows embedding of jpg's and mp4/youtube without having to have terabytes of storage for users.

check out: http://community.learnandmaster.com/
this has a really good colour scheme and allows users to post pictures and videos into the forum.

P.S.  JM .. I just posted here.. did you get an automatic update?

Doug

Nope

32 (edited by jim m 2016-09-09 16:45:29)

samjp4 wrote:
Ian916 wrote:

Yes there are many of us "older" folks on here but all of the ones I know are quite adept at social media (at least in FB and twitter form).  Many of us who seem resistant to change on here are more worried about this vast amount of Joe-world history disappearing permanently.  Also many of us enjoy the more human level this Forum has as compared to FB.  With Joe's huge rise in popularity his fb page has become very impersonal.  People come and go on here but a fairly solid core remains.  I read this everyday but don't always have something to post.  I do think this problem is only going to get worse since there is no dedicated button in the main categories at the top of the new website page and no mention of it under social media section.  I would love to post pictures directly on here as you can on other forums I have been a part of but it is certainly not a must-have for me.

Sandy aka one of the older people

p.s.  there are a few who come here regularly who do not use fb and twitter by choice - not because they can't figure it out but because of their own personal reasons

I agree with all points. This forum still manages to attract, at least when I logged on 63 guests which is a pretty high number for artists forums and for this forum historically. I remember it would have less than 10 guests and 2 or 3 members and yes members would tend to contribute more. Again it always calmed down when Joe was on hiatus. Activity always picked up with tours and upcoming album/DVD releases. This forum still has a unique personality and yes photos may make things more interesting however like Sandy says if you loose 10 years of posts in order to post pictures I'm not that into change.

I have NEVER received notifications of posts to threads I am subscribed to. The problem is NOT my spam filter.

I participate in a number of other forums that support posting of photos and am notified of new posts. I really have no interest in participating in a forum that requires me to hunt down the treads I am subscribed to to see if a response has been posted.

BTW, I'm 62 years old.

Bill

But it really doesn't matter at all, no, it really doesn't matter at all, Life's a Gas...I hope it's gonna last.

But, it really doesn't matter at all.......

wink
Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Sandy, others, - whilst what i said about resistance to change is slightly tongue in cheek, to push a few buttons, so pease don’t take it personally, but there are without doubt some of which it is true. The comments about the wish to post photos here sort of confirms it, - posting photos on a message board is 10 years behind, - photos should be on Twitter/Instagram/whatsapp where you can instantly see a Joe gig from anywhere in the world just by following a hash tag. Generalising, - kids/teenagers don’t use Facebook these days. I agree with your point about Joe history disappearing, - rightly or wrongly we are in an instant world now where immediacy of information is seen more important than it becoming an historical artefact, - kids do not buy CD’s, they stream what they want to listen to there and then and see no value in “owning” music.

bluesky636 wrote:

I have NEVER received notifications of posts to threads I am subscribed to. The problem is NOT my spam filter.

I participate in a number of other forums that support posting of photos and am notified of new posts. I really have no interest in participating in a forum that requires me to hunt down the treads I am subscribed to to see if a response has been posted.

BTW, I'm 62 years old.

If this site doesn't work for you, perhaps you should demand you money back...oh, wait, never mind.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP