19 (edited by DougH 2016-01-06 11:53:35)

Re: 2015 Joe Bonamassa Custom Les Paul Epiphone with Bigsby, BurstBuckers

Devan wrote:

The scratchy frets can usually be fixed by giving the frets a polish with fine 0000 steel wool, followed up with some silver or metal polish paste.  It is probably some lacquer finish buildup on the frets from the final finish spraying?!?  NOTE: If you are going to use Steel Wool or metal polish, mask off the fretboard with masking tape first, to prevent scratches and a mess! smile

I use only 0000 on all my rosewood/ebony fret boards (note not lacquer maple) and a good lemon oil for the fret board.
I put a few drops of oil in each fret board area and rub the steel wool on the fret board and frets,
never had any issues scratching the fret board, but it must say 0000.
the fret board gets oiled and the frets look shiny without any metal polish.

but do cover up the pickups, the metal from the steel wool jumps right on to the magnetic pickup coils.

Hope that cleans up your Epi frets

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Good point about the 0000 - it won't really scratch the fingerboard per se.  Its more the metal polish that I sometimes use that tends to leave white marks on the fingerboard where it accidentally gets on it.  Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've used paste polish on my frets - I normally use the 0000 steel wool, then finish with one of the nail polishing boards that you can get at the local chemist/pharmacist.  You know, those ones with the 3 or 4 really fine grades for buffing your nails.  I tend to use the last one or two grades to put the final polish on the frets.

Relationship tip: NEVER borrow your wife/girlfriends nail board for working your frets.  Not if you want to live, anyway... big_smile  Spend the $5 or so to put one in your guitar toolkit...

Also, good tip about covering the pickups with masking tape.  I am always amazed at the amount of fine metal filings that result even from a light workout on the fretboard with 0000 steel wool...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

21 (edited by Jem 777 2016-01-17 17:05:43)

Just to follow-up on my concern about the Bigsby on this guitar, the sharp angle from the front roller up to the bridge does cause problems. As in, if you touch the vibrato, you are out of tune.

This video is a great illustration of the problem ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5PeUIlYZM

I have the guitar scheduled for setup with my guitar tech next week for a complete setup and he's going to look at the issue.
He suggests perhaps raising the Bigsby up off the top with a shim to decrease the angle. He will also grease the front roller bushing. He also says a roller bearing bridge will help a lot.

I'll report back after he's looked at it and what we actually decide to do about it.

1998 Ovation CS247 Celebrity Deluxe
2010 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
2015 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard with Bigsby (Signed)

My Epiphone arrived yesterday, and I noticed the same issues that Jem777 talked about. My JB Goldtop and my R9 both weigh about nine pounds, the Epiphone is a solid ten pounds. The Bigsby vibrato arm was way too tight, probably to keep it in place during shipping. Also the frets are a bit rough, and its not due to overspray, I looked at them with a magnifying glass and the surface of each fret has tiny scratches. The high E string does just barely make contact with the back of the bridge, and the action is a little higher than I expected. I'll be doing the fret work and set up this weekend, and I don't think there will be any concerns when I'm done. The finish, binding, pickups, controls and tuners are all fine, no issues there. Overall, I'm happy with it and I don't mind doing the set up work, actually enjoy it.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

I love Joe's Gibson's he brings out however the colours that come out on the epiphones apart from the Gold top i think are awful! hopefully he brings out a sunburst Epiphone then I will be more inclined to buy!

Just a quick follow up on setting up my Epiphone. I had to level the frets first, the 6th and 11th were a bit high. Then I smoothed and polished all the frets, now they're as smooth and level as my Gibson's. The intonation needed a little tweaking on every string except the A string. It plays and sounds a lot better now, the only complaint is the Bigsby doesn't always return to the in tune position, especially if I press the bar and release it. It returns much closer to in tune if I pull the bar and release it. I don't have much experience with Bigsby, so I'm wondering if the "real" Bigsbys do a better job of staying in tune than the "licensed" Bigsby.

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Rusty, I am having a roller bearing bridge installed for the Bigsby issue, specifically this one:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par … ridge.html
If my luthier has any problems after installing this bridge, he will raise the Bigsby with a shim.

I'll let you know the results once I get the guitar back, should be back Feb 25th.

Jem 777 wrote:

Rusty, I am having a roller bearing bridge installed for the Bigsby issue, specifically this one:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par … ridge.html
If my luthier has any problems after installing this bridge, he will raise the Bigsby with a shim.

I'll let you know the results once I get the guitar back, should be back Feb 25th.

Thank you for the reply. I've been considering that same bridge and I'd be interested in how it works out for you. Please let me know.

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

To follow up on the tuning issues. I bought and installed a BricksBiggsFix tuning stabilizer, and the tuning issues are nearly 100% gone. If anyone is having the same issues and wondering about a solution, this seems to work very well. The install takes only a few minutes, I spent more time looking for my clip removing tool and a 9/64 allen wrench than I did doing the actual install. Overall, I think its a good solution.

http://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/btsv3/

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Rusty wrote:

To follow up on the tuning issues. I bought and installed a BricksBiggsFix tuning stabilizer, and the tuning issues are nearly 100% gone. If anyone is having the same issues and wondering about a solution, this seems to work very well. The install takes only a few minutes, I spent more time looking for my clip removing tool and a 9/64 allen wrench than I did doing the actual install. Overall, I think its a good solution.

http://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/btsv3/

Rusty, glad you got it sorted out, would you mind posting a pic of how it looks installed on the guitar?

29 (edited by Rusty 2016-02-22 20:06:29)

Sure, No problem...

http://s843.photobucket.com/user/rustyj … amp;page=1

JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

30 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-02-24 18:28:59)

Reverb has 1 of 2 made (according to the listing) in Seafoam Green ... says it was a Joe collection donation for a charity auction ... pictures show Joe holding / signing the body.

I like the Seafoam ...

https://reverb.com/item/1739985-epiphon … -bonamassa

($3500 & $75 ship - Rod's Gear Shop - Noblesville, IN)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Reverb has 1 of 2 made (according to the listing) in Seafoam Green ... says it was a Joe collection donation for a charity auction ... pictures show Joe holding / signing the body.

I like the Seafoam ...

https://reverb.com/item/1739985-epiphon … -bonamassa

($3500 & $75 ship - Rod's Gear Shop - Noblesville, IN)

I LOVE it :=)

Here's a review from Guitar Magazine ... http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/r … dard/56722