Topic: 2015: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

I've spent less time on this forum in 2015 than any year since its inception. To say this year had some challenges is an understatement at best. There were also some moments of pure joy.

On March 14th, my wife Jane had a massive heart attack at the age of 58. We were coming home from a wedding an hours drive from our home. Luckily, it happened 3 minutes from our home. I called 911 and they arrived quickly. She received 2 stents and everything seemed fine for a week. Then she started having reactions to the various drugs they put her on, including a blood thinner that contained sulphates, which she is very allergic to. On March 28th, her 59th birthday, she was rushed to the hospital and they inserted another stent. It took more than a month to get medications straightened out.
Somewhere in that period, she developed PTSD. Evidently, this is fairly typical for heart attack survivors. Of course, they try to treat the PTSD with more pills, which created more bad reactions.
She was rushed to the hospital with severe abdominal pain. Diverticulitis and a small abscess in her colon. She's been back two other times with flare ups. It's very scary because of the blood thinner she has to take.
We spent far more time in hospitals in 2015 than we have in our entire lives combined.
We canceled our trip to Yellowstone Park, which was scheduled for June.
I missed over 300 hours of work between March and August (luckily, I had the vacation time to cover it).
A month ago, our septic tank had a partial collapse.
While trying to replace our family room carpeting, the carpeting company discovered asbestos tiles under the padding. Yep, we vacated our house for a few days while it was abated.
I developed shingles, something I've never had before and hope to never get again.
Oh yeah, my oldest and dearest friend died of cancer yesterday...on Christmas of course (RIP Vic). Someday I'll share some stories about Vic, but it's too soon right now.

I hope all of this doesn't sound like whining...I think I'm over that.
Like I said, there are positives:
Jane is alive and returning to normal.
Cardiac Rehab, joining a gym and watching our diets have made both of us healthier.
The love and support from family and close friends has been humbling.
Our younger daughter gave birth to happy, healthy twin boys at the end of July. We now have 5 beautiful grandsons to brighten our lives.
This Christmas may have been the best ever!
Our business has thrived for a number of years, so the worries about money and security didn't add to the pile.
And we're going to plan that trip to Yellowstone for 2016...wish us luck!

I'd like to wish my family here on the Forum the healthiest, happiest New Year ever! May the rest of your Holidays and the New Year bring you peace and joy.

Bill

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: 2015: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Thank u for sharing Bill ... my condolences on the passing of your friend Vic yesterday.

Some nice positives in 2015 ... but quite a year for you.  Sincere best wishes for 2016 and your wife's continued recovery.

And best wishes to everyone here for a Happy, Healthy and Musical 2016

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

3 (edited by cindyron 2015-12-26 15:36:48)

That's for sharing with us Bill. So glade you are able to pull all the blessings and positives from a very difficult year for you. Keep looking forward and don't look back.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

sorry to hear of your problems Bill, - not sure if it has anything to do with getting older but it seems that the last few years have been difficult for a lot of people, but there is often a balance to it with things such as the birth of your two new grandchildren, congratulations.

Joe’s music brings people together, long may it continue. Take care, Bill.

Ian

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Bill, sorry to hear of yours and Jane's troubles this year. Glad your back on the upswing. Here's to a better 2016 enjoying those grandsons and everything else life has to offer!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

So sorry to hear of all that you have been dealing with. I had heard of Jane's heart attack, but had no idea about all the other further complications. Poor Jane, that is scary stuff. Medications can cause such horrible reactions. Really hope things continue in a positive direction and that the next year is far better than this one has been.

Hang in there Jane and Bill.  Tough times indeed.  Things are sounding better, with the exception of losing your pal Vic towards year's end, on Christmas. sad

My deepest condolences.

Rock ON & Keep The Fiath,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Hugs to you Bill and Jane.  I knew something "not good" was going on, but since your problems coincided with my problems this year I figured I either missed something or you weren't sharing and I wasn't going to ask, you would share when and if it was time. Jane is such a special, giving person and I am so glad she is well on the road to returning health.  Mr M still wears the shirt she made for him to almost every Joe show he attends and it is one of our prized possessions. 

I am so sorry about your friend - getting older sucks at times. Do that trip this coming year - as a lot of us have learned this year there may not be another chance.

Love and hugs -

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Bill, thanks for sharing.  As difficult as it may be to share, I have found it is also helpful.

I use this, and Rocket's, story as a reminder to fill my life with fewer possessions and more friendship, music and experiences.  Wherever I happen to go at the end, I know I can't take the possessions with me but I'll be sure to take all the rest along for the ride.

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

May your coming year be on the up-side Bill and Jane. Thanks for sharing this and you have my best wishes for better.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Thanks everyone.
2015 has been pretty hectic. There are so many people here that I've become good friends with, that I knew I'd share this at some point in time. Honestly, until now I was never quite in the right frame of mind.
Wishing you all a wonderful 2016!

Hey Bill,
I'm glad Jane is finally doing better and things are settling down. You and Rocket had a really rough time this year!!! I am sorry about the loss of your friend Vic, I know that must really hurt.

I wish all good things for you in 2016.  Congrats on the grand babies. wink Take care Bill.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Bill & Jane,  I think of you often and I miss you guys like crazy! Keeping you in my heart and surrounding you with a big bubble of goodness for 2016! Live, laugh, love ya smile  Patty

P.S.  (((Bill & Jane))) Gonna' have to head your way one of these days for a slumber party wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

This was a shocking post as I had no idea of your troubles.
All I can say is may you and your wife's health come back fully.
And congrats on the grandkids and the good things that happened.
May 2016 be a much better year for all.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

WOW! Bill I cant believe it, so happy to hear your wife is ok now....Congratulations on your grandsons too!

Shreddy

Prayers offered up for you buddy.

Joe is the Best!

Jane H. wrote:

not to go off topic but things are already looking up for the year with a post from Shreddy and BluesMan !!! smile

Not off topic at all Jane. I can't tell you how much it means to me to see posts from Dave and Roy.
Maybe we need to get the band back together smile