Topic: New 58 LP VOS Question

All,

I recently purchased a LP Custom that was messed up - snap crackle and pop was coming out during a show.  Long story short - the store took it back but 30 days was over so I couldn't get a full refund.  They ordered a 58 Custom LP that I love but wasn't setup and now I have a question.  I'd like a "hotter" pickup in the bridge that can do blues well but can get some harder sounds (foo fighters) - I play in a cover band, but my first love is blues.   I need to be somewhat flexible.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to be able to use the aged covers from the LP....can I do this with Duncans?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Marc

Re: New 58 LP VOS Question

Id suggest Pearly Gates by Duncan, but if you want 'covers' i think any would do. And if you wanted added versatility you could get push/pull pots for tapping the humbucker into a single coil....for a thinner blueser persay sound.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I prefer the Duncan JB to the Pearly Gates. Sounds a little more 'open' to my ears.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I just had the first opportunity to try out my new 58 VOS on my DSL50 and WOW!  I am very surprised, the guitar sounds amazing!  I don't really have any complaints but yet a question.  Joe (in another post) pointed out that he uses the Burstbuckers on 2 (bridge) on his LPs - but  because of the band i play in, I need to get a bit more out of the bridge - such as pinched harmonics/tighter bottom end.  So, long story short -can I retain much of the tone with getting a bit overwound PU from Lindy Fralin?  I get the feeling I'm trying to fit a round figure in a square slot!  I'm 90 percent where I want to be (tonally).  Ideally I'd have 2 Les Pauls, just can't afford it!

Anyone have a Burstbucker 3?

Many Thanks for all the help!  I'm a newbie - and this forum has been great!

5 (edited by Dragonsoni 2007-04-19 16:30:32)

marcgomez71 wrote:

I just had the first opportunity to try out my new 58 VOS on my DSL50 and WOW!  I am very surprised, the guitar sounds amazing!  I don't really have any complaints but yet a question.  Joe (in another post) pointed out that he uses the Burstbuckers on 2 (bridge) on his LPs - but  because of the band i play in, I need to get a bit more out of the bridge - such as pinched harmonics/tighter bottom end.  So, long story short -can I retain much of the tone with getting a bit overwound PU from Lindy Fralin?  I get the feeling I'm trying to fit a round figure in a square slot!  I'm 90 percent where I want to be (tonally).  Ideally I'd have 2 Les Pauls, just can't afford it!

I am in the same situation a new 58 Reissue VOS. The tone is just so 3 dimensional and warm. I not going to change pick-ups on the reissue because I think these guitars are so special.

I have posted on another forum about what pedals would work in front of a tube amp to get more gain but received mostly strange comments (I am being nice) instead of answers.(i.e clean boost, overdrive, distorion.)  Preferably using a boost to my amps gain section since I already like the tone that they get. Any suggested products would be great.

Since my guitar is new can anyone recommend a good sounding but Fret Friendly strings? (crazy I know)

marcgomez71 wrote:

I think on Joe's '58 he has the original PAF's on there... good luck finding those, much less paying for them without going broke!  smile

But seriously, good luck on your search...

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Dragonsoni wrote:
marcgomez71 wrote:

I am in the same situation a new 58 Reissue VOS. The tone is just so 3 dimensional and warm. I not going to change pick-ups on the reissue because I think these guitars are so special.

I have posted on another forum about what pedals would work in front of a tube amp to get more gain but received mostly strange comments (I am being nice) instead of answers.(i.e clean boost, overdrive, distorion.)  Preferably using a boost to my amps gain section since I already like the tone that they get. Any suggested products would be great.

Since my guitar is new can anyone recommend a good sounding but Fret Friendly strings? (crazy I know)

I think seymour duncan sells a "gain" pedal. Wierd answers like using a Tube Screamer? I've tried to get just gain and no distortion out of them, but they do change your tone.

I got rid of it because My Rivera amp has a Ninja Boost on the Fender channel....very nice indeed. The other channel is after a Marshall where its like a dirty blues, and the gain on that channel is all-out distortion.

as for the frets... just play the guitar dude - thats what you got it for!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I just bought an amp switch ABY 'Tonebone' box from Radiall, that has a great boost built in. It doesn't color my tone at all- even some times when I hope it would. I was jamming last week and my analogman DS-1 gave up the ghost (just a battery) and we only needed one more take (playing Just Got Paid of all things), so I cranked up the distortion on the SD-1, said a quick prayer to Saint Anthony (patron saint of lost things and boutique pedals) and hit the boost on the Tonebone. Five more db's but not the gain I had in mind. Not an iota of distortion- just volume.
Had to stop the momentum and pop in another 9V.
They are very expensive but show up on ebay- mine was $229 or so- brand new from Tunnelvision Music in Moab UT.
Actually this box is great- A/B toggle, and both button, then when both are cranking away, the light that flashes is the one that will be on when you revert to one amp. And you can toggle to the other amp being "next" with the toggle button whilst playing both. Cool.
But wait- that's not all- It has a mid boost, 5db and 10 db boost selector for the boost button...
But wait... theres also a tiny little turnscrew on the back when you can boost the signal to keep up the coolness on single coil p/u's. Check out Radiall- very cool. The thing weighs like five pounds. Don't drop it on anyone.
Well- you asked...
Have a great weekend. Oh Joe- title for your next album. How about Oneida Silver. Half the people in my wife's family worked there- probably half of yours too!
Jim

Hi everybody.
Just wanted to add my opinion about the pickups in Les Pauls. I have had several Les Pauls and also tried lots of different pickups, mostly PAF-style pickups, such as gibson 57 classics, burstbuckers (pros, #1, #2 and #3), lindy fralins (almost everything available from 6,9kOhm to 9kOhm) etc but now I have finished the search. I couldn't afford a genuine pair of PAFs but after a long search of PAF-style pickups I found the Sheptone pickups and since then I've been more than satisfied with my tone in my Les Pauls.

For marcgomez71 I want to say that I just bought an '02 LP '58 Historic and it has the original pickups in it, BB #2 and #3. The #3 in the bridge position is very powerful and great soundig pickup and I'd suggest you to try it out. A standard set of Sheptone PAF tributes may not be powerful enough for you if you think that BB #2 is too mild for your range on use. Otherwise I prefer Sheptone PAF Tributes and I'm going to put a pair of Sheptones into my R8 too.

J-M

I'd consider WB pickups - the vintage hot bridge or the reverend will get you there.

Don Ritter