Topic: RIP Grooveshark

So the free music streaming site grooveshark went away.  I actually used that quite a bit when I discovered Joe and started listening to his many albums.  What streaming music sites do you use?

"Oh baby, since you're gone, I got a massa the blues!"

2 (edited by cindyron 2015-05-14 14:25:56)

Re: RIP Grooveshark

Massa the Blues wrote:

So the free music streaming site grooveshark went away.  I actually used that quite a bit when I discovered Joe and started listening to his many albums.  What streaming music sites do you use?

Well let's see is this site and others like it where you can get music without paying? Well if that the case I would never subscribe. I have many friends that are musicians and in my eyes this is taking food from their mouths. To get quote free music is stealing to me. If what you are taking about is not this please disregard all I said.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Massa the Blues wrote:

Well let's see is this site and others like it where you can get music without paying? Well if that the case I would never subscribe. I have many friends that are musicians and in my eyes this is taking food from their mouths. To get quote free music is stealing to me. If what you are taking about is not this please disregard all I said.
Cheers Ron

If you're unethical, yeah, I guess you could rip music off sites like that, but I didn't.  I listened to music I either was thinking about buying (which turned out to be all Joe's stuff) or stuff I already have in some form but didn't have with me at the time I wanted to listen to it.  Grooveshark was literally how I found Joe.  BTW, speaking of getting ripped off, I've felt ripped off by some artists that put out bad music which I found out the hard way - by buying the entire cd first!  I enjoyed the test drives that grooveshark allowed and then supported the artists whose music I wanted to own by buying their stuff on cd, which is always the best sound quality compared to the lossy streaming stuff.

"Oh baby, since you're gone, I got a massa the blues!"

Massa the Blues wrote:
cindyron wrote:
Massa the Blues wrote:

Cheers Ron

If you're unethical, yeah, I guess you could rip music off sites like that, but I didn't.  I listened to music I either was thinking about buying (which turned out to be all Joe's stuff) or stuff I already have in some form but didn't have with me at the time I wanted to listen to it.  Grooveshark was literally how I found Joe.  BTW, speaking of getting ripped off, I've felt ripped off by some artists that put out bad music which I found out the hard way - by buying the entire cd first!  I enjoyed the test drives that grooveshark allowed and then supported the artists whose music I wanted to own by buying their stuff on cd, which is always the best sound quality compared to the lossy streaming stuff.

Cool
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

There is 2 sides of the streaming argument.But it is legal and it does allow for you to test the album to see if you really like it.
There is a lot of music I would never buy without knowing if I liked it so streaming helps with that.I too have a collection of CDs I listened to a couple times and never again.I use Spotify.
I know someone who has Tidal which is a higher quality stream and costs about $20 a month
I do think it's a double edge sword as I am sure it may hurt sales of physical music.I do think there will be a market for vinyl and hopefully CDs as well.I do like having the physical copy with artwork.If I was in the music biz I would include some cool things with the hard product.Like Joe does with his packages or having posters or some other little freebie promo item that could be a low cost collectable as a throw in with the product sale.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky