Topic: Robben Ford Amsterdam TONIGHT!!!

Got one ticket, can't go myself because I wouldn't make it back in time.
Someone reply and I'll send it to you for 10 euro's

Re: Robben Ford Amsterdam TONIGHT!!!

Jesse wrote:

No more Ford for me. Not happy the way he treats his fans. Awesome guitar player although needs to find some humility

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Jesse wrote:

No more Ford for me. Not happy the way he treats his fans. Awesome guitar player although needs to find some humility

What's that about? I saw him once in Zoetermeer, and he was a bit grumpy.
Then the next time I saw him was at a clinic and he was very friendly and signing cd's and stuff. Answering all questions etc...

Jesse wrote:
cindyron wrote:
Jesse wrote:

What's that about? I saw him once in Zoetermeer, and he was a bit grumpy.
Then the next time I saw him was at a clinic and he was very friendly and signing cd's and stuff. Answering all questions etc...

Long story he basically refused to sign a guitar a good friend of mine spent countless hours building then brought it to him to sign and he said no. He lost a big fan that day. He built it for himself and even made Robben a custom backplate.
He clearly does not understand where is $$ come from. Like I said a great great guitar player but....

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

You and my wife agree Ron. We bumped into Robben on the boat and he was a little short with us not really to her but to me and I know him pretty well. The two most recent shows here however he was very fan friendly. In 2007 he was not. I think he is coming around to the realization that you need to be kind and sign.

jim m wrote:

You and my wife agree Ron. We bumped into Robben on the boat and he was a little short with us not really to her but to me and I know him pretty well. The two most recent shows here however he was very fan friendly. In 2007 he was not. I think he is coming around to the realization that you need to be kind and sign.

I am amazed to be in a business where the public pays your food bill then act as a jerk to the ones that foot the bill blows my mind. No rocket science here

He is just from a different era. He has gotten better. There are some artists that I have met that I wish I hadn't because it becomes hard to enjoy their music after you factor in a bad taste in your mouth from interaction. I won't name names but I was a big fan of a guy that after meeting him and producing shows over a few years the more I got to know the guy the less I wanted to be around him or for that matter play his stuff. It was just an unpleasant reminder of the whole experience. Robben was like that for awhile with me I was such a fan and he honestly was my Joe before I discovered Joe. Talk to Your Daughter was what got me hooked and every album I would buy without preview. I have everything he has ever released. In 2004 I promoted my second show and it was Robben. He canceled on me the Friday before the Monday show and It was sold out in advance. For two years I couldn't listen to him. He made up the show in 2007 and I decided to just let it go and enjoy the show which had Roscoe Beck on bass which was pretty cool. Robben was very fan unfriendly. All the stories you ever heard. I however spoke briefly with him and again just decided I need to listen to him and enjoy the music. He didn't owe me anything other than that. Had a chance to bring him back a few years ago. He came in and did a clinic at a local music school and show after over a couple of days. We had a chance to get to know each other. He was really great with his clinic and after the show. Really almost like it was a different guy. This most recent show he came out and signed and took pictures with everybody. He has changed. I believe in giving people second chances. I still like his music enough to overlook his personality quirks. I understand how you can't because there is one particular artist I feel the same way about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrt6Ai4zgJQ

Great story Jim! I honestly think that Robben is a friendly guy. But I think a possibility might ne just that he has some anxiety's/shyness issues that turns into defensiveness and 'unfriendly' behavior. It's just how the brain clicks in certain situations.
I can get pretty severe social anxiety at times and sometimes it makes you just blurt out/say stuff that others perceive as unsympathetic/unfriendly but totally isn't meant that way.....

I don't think he's inherently a 'mean' person. Anywho, I digress... he writes some great tunes!

I just saw him recently, and while I think he had a cold, he seemed to be phoning it in. We got just about a 1 hour set, with one song for the encore.

Once was enough for me, but I do have to say that the stern PA admonishment to not record the show meant that I wasn't standing behind a sea of human tripods. I did like that better.

No excuse I can certainly live without Ford on my iTunes

I remember when I was kid I went with my Dad into a hardware store. The clerk was very arrogant and acted like we really annoyed him. We walked out and my Dad told me never do business with someone who is arrogant and takes your business for granted. I have found that to be great advice and still live by it. I will forgive but I won't support that kind of attitude. Mr. Ford would not be playing through Dumbles if not for his fans. I have met two of my musical heroes, Joe B. and Derek St. Holmes. Both were true gentlemen and very fan appreciative. I have never met Mr. Ford so I really should not pass judgement. But if I had an experience with Mr. Ford like Ron had I would also be done with Mr. Ford.  Worst experience I ever had was with Lindy Fralin. He is arrogant, rude, and sarcastic. But his tech Bill makes up for Lindy's crappy attitude with a great disposition and customer oriented mindset. Lindy would go bankrupt on his own.