Topic: Hi From sunny Wales

I thought I'd post a quick intro to myself. I'm 51 years of age with two sons both are big into music having been fore fed since birth. My eldest is an accomplished guitarist himself. I've been a blues fan almost all of my musical life, I discovered Free back in 1969 at the tender age of 13 and have never looked back. In the 70's Pink floyd were my main fave but as I've got older I've returned to my first love, guitar based blues. Apart from the obvious brit players like Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore and others too numerous to mention here I've always loved the US players such as BB King, Albert King, Freddie king, Buddy Guy and now have become a fan of the next gen of blues players such as Johnny Lang and Joe Bonamassa. I first heard of Joe while listening to Walter Trout's latest album hsi work on Clouds on the horizon is beautiful. This prompted me to seek him out on the WWW. A friend of mine then lent me Sloe Gin and I was hooked, I've since bought the DVD New day yesterday and now can't wait until the 19th of Feb 2008 when I'll get the cance to see Joe live in Cardiff. I was lucky enough to meet Walter Trout at his recent gig in Cardiff and he was very complimentary of Joe, I'd like to think I'll get the same chance to talk to Joe at the cardiff gig.

Thanks for reading
big_smile

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way, the time is over, the dream is gone, thought I'd something more to say.

Re: Hi From sunny Wales

Hey Batmite, welcome to the forum and really enjoyed your intro.  You are in for a treat when you see him perform live.  Be sure and get the rest of Joe's catalogue of CD's.  You will not be disappointed.

Music is good for the Soul...

Hi Batmite and welcome to Joe World. You are only just begining a wonderful ride!! Can't wait to hear about your BonaBaptism.....Until then, there's lots of Joe out there.....Cathy

hello ,
welcome in the world of Joe Bonamassa , I'm a 46 yo French guitarist (not professional! )and when I read your post , It looks like my way into music with just a few years between .I discover Deep Purple at the age of 11 and then the rolling stones , Pink Floyd , Beck ,Clapton ......and the blues rock of course .And I still love to discover new blues guitarists.
And of course , for the French , Cardiff is a little special since last week when we played rugby against the New Zealand !

have a good time here
Laurent
( sorry for my English )

Howsitgaun Batmite

Welcome to Bonaworld. You will have to take a scarf to wrap around your chin to stop it hitting the floor when you see this young man perform live. He is an awesome performer and one very very talented individual.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Cheers

Peace and Jam

millhouse big_smile:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Stars fall like tears from your eyes"

welcome aboard your early musical tastes are very similiar to mine.So I know you will love all of Joes music. As said here earlier seeing him live is a special treat,savor the moment.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

7 (edited by Ges 2007-10-14 05:45:21)

Hi Batmite

I'm in NW England and am also 51.
Your taste is impeccable.

I started on Led Zep and Free as my two favourite bands and went on to Deep Purple, Groundhogs, Floyd, Rory G, Gary Moore, Thin Lizzy, etc etc...as you, blues based guitar stuff.

I discovered Joe B by sheer good luck (right place, right time type of a moment) and couldn't believe that with my love of such music, I wasn't already aware of him.
Sure glad I am now as I think that even including the giants of music I mention above Joe is the best thing that has happened to my music enjoyment.

I TRY to play bluesy guitar myself and treated myself (wife insisted !!) to a Gibson Les Paul for my 50th birthday. Sunburst - inspired by wanting one since seeing it's what Jimmy page played well over 30 years ago now. A wait but worth it smile

You're gonna be blown away by Joe Live. I've got tickets for Morcambe and Manchester so far.
Check out the Rockpalast DVD of Joe. I like it even more than the ANDY one you have purchased.

Keep visiting the forum - some really nice people here. They will even send you live recordings of Joe which he doesn't mind. How great is that ! BTW. I have a couple- let me know if you want a copy.

Best wishes.
Ges

ps I saw Walter Trout last week in Milton Keynes. Really enjoyed it. I must post an item on the other artists tab.

Thanks for the kind words of welcome, the more of joe's stuff I listen to the more I'm impressed he doesn't just play the high energy stuff I've heard some beautiful slow acoustic numbers on the albums I've borrowed, this is gonna cost me a fortune....... I've yet to get a handle on track titles,I'm still in awe of his ability and his voice is fantastic, Many years ago living in the south of England I watched a blues band called duck soup, two singers, one female and one male, the guy had the most amazing voice, seemed to come from somewhere else, Joe's voice is the same, when he speaks it doesn't give any indication of the power in his singing voice. Ges If it's ok I'd love any live recordings you have how do you want to go about this? I've not got a lot of ROIO stuff and it's mainly Pink Floyd and some Beatles and a bit of the Who. Also is the Rockpalast DVD available in the uk I've never seen Joe's stuff in my local HMV but then I haven't been looking...

Cheers for now  big_smile

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way, the time is over, the dream is gone, thought I'd something more to say.

Welcome Batmite to the friendly forum of the best guitarist in the whole wide world!

Like others who've posted it's amazing how similar our tastes are in music.  I spent my misspent teens listening to Deep Purple, Led Zep, Free/Bad Company and my all time faves Pink Floyd.  My guitar god used to be David Gilmour but since I first saw Joe Bonamassa that all changed.  Yes, its gonna cost you a fortune in CDs and DVDS and concerts but it's well worth it.

Enjoy your first Joe concert and do please post a review.