Topic: What Are Megapixels?

Can anybody know about megapixels pixels in a picture? I mean how you define megapixel in a picture, please define in a simple way. It is well known that most new photographers always set out to look for the highest number of megapixels, but i don't know what are megapixels......plz help

Thanks in advance.

Re: What Are Megapixels?

I'll say welcome on this thread. I think you are the first fan from Sri Lanka on the forum. Joe's fame is spreading.
Megapixel refers to the size of the sensor in the camera or display on a screen. I'll take the liberty of a c/p from a site called wisegeek. There is an annoying popup on it that is hard to squelch.

"A megapixel refers to one million pixels, and is commonly used in reference to digital cameras as an indication of resolution capability. A pixel is a tiny square on a computerized display that is so small it appears as a dot. The display screen is a solid grid of these squares or dots, which can be easily seen with a magnifying glass. The more pixels or dots that make up the display screen, the clearer the resolution or image will be. Greater numbers of dots or pixels allow for more refinement of the image, which results in higher, truer image replication.

When it comes to digital cameras, the picture quality capability is measured in megapixels. For example, a 3.1 megapixel camera can take pictures with a resolution of 2048 x 1536, which equals 3,145,728 pixels. That is, the resulting image will be made up of 3.1 megapixels, or over three million dots. Printers measure quality in DPI (dots per inch). A printer capable of only 300 DPI will not print the 3.1 megapixel image in its native high quality. It's simply not capable of reproducing the fine detail. Instead the image may appear grainy. If you wish to print photos, be sure the printer is well suited to the capabilities of your digital camera."

Hope this helps,

Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

3 (edited by cindyron 2014-04-06 10:40:49)

sandunashan wrote:

Can anybody know about megapixels pixels in a picture? I mean how you define megapixel in a picture, please define in a simple way. It is well known that most new photographers always set out to look for the highest number of megapixels, but i don't know what are megapixels......plz help

Thanks in advance.

think of a pixel as a very small square of a picture. This picture will be made up of many many small squares (Pixels). The more mini squares ( pixels) the better the picture quality. So 1 Megapixel is 1,000,000 (1 million) pixels

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Thank you very much guys.

5 (edited by timb 2014-12-11 09:30:35)

I'm guessing from your website link that you're either a photographer that doesn't know the basics, or one that's being coy about self promotion. :-)

I always though they were bey large pixie dust !

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky