1 (edited by Stefan76 2014-09-21 10:18:58)

Topic: Can someone help with effects and pedalboards?

Hi,
I'd like to built a "professional" pedalboard but i have not the right knowledge to do it. For pedalboard i don't mean the case, but real chains of effects, buffers, controllers, amp splitters, and so on.

I've found this link:

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/c … e&id=3

But i get lost almost immediately.

Also looking at the gear on Joe's giveaway, i don't see all that stuff, like in the cae guide.

"Prize Package includes:
-MXR Micro Flanger
-MXR Joe Bonamassa FET Driver
-Way Huge Pork Loin™ Overdrive
-Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Signature Cry Baby® Wah Wah
-Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Signature Fuzz Face® Distortion
-Strymon Lex
-LEHLE P-SPLIT II
-LEHLE 1AT3 SGOS
-BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay
-BOSS RV-5 Digital Reverb
-RJM Music Technology, INC Tone Saver
-Fulltone Supa-Trem 1
-George L's Solderless Patch Cables
-Custom Brady Cases Pedalboard Case
-Custom Fix Pedalboard
-Carol-Anne JB100 Amp
-1988 Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee
-KLON Centaur
-Gibson USA Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard with Tag Hauer Sunglasses and Discography"

Can someone help with links to good guides about how all those components work, and how to built a good. problem free effectboard?

Thank you

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Re: Can someone help with effects and pedalboards?

Don't get too far ahead of yourself.  Let's pull back a little bit, and first tell us what guitars, amps, and more importantly, what effects you currently use?

What is your ultimate goal with your rig?  It will all vary on the genre of music you play, or whether you are in a Jimi tribute band, or even a Joe B tribute band.

But bear in mind, given that list above - even if you built a board exactly like Joe's, chances are you will sound nothing like him once you plug in.

I guess initially, if you let us know what pedals you like using, then we can help sketch out a rough plan...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

3 (edited by cindyron 2014-09-21 21:01:18)

Devan wrote:

Don't get too far ahead of yourself.  Let's pull back a little bit, and first tell us what guitars, amps, and more importantly, what effects you currently use?

What is your ultimate goal with your rig?  It will all vary on the genre of music you play, or whether you are in a Jimi tribute band, or even a Joe B tribute band.

But bear in mind, given that list above - even if you built a board exactly like Joe's, chances are you will sound nothing like him once you plug in.

I guess initially, if you let us know what pedals you like using, then we can help sketch out a rough plan...

Sounds like a great plan as mention by Devan. Keep in mind several things on your list will be hard to find and/or very expensive. The price tag of all that gear is big believe me I know. Use Devans approach. As he mentioned at the end of the day you will not sound like Joe you will sound like you. So save yourself tons is $$ get a guitar you like a fender or Marshall a tube screamer and practice to find you. Then once you have traveled down that road for a few years buy pedals and effects that work for you. At the end of the day it is all in your fingers. Cheers good luck Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

4 (edited by solitaire 2014-09-21 21:47:11)

In line with the above: let's first find out what YOU want Stefan. I know it's something of an Anne Robinson statement that you will sound like you. But then Joe will not sound like you either, hard as he may try. wink

Pedals and such react very different to the gear it's connected to. And then the guitarist's technique and ears enter into the equation. You have no idea how many pieces of gear I've sold off, quality stuff that my heroes use but somehow they just didn't work out for me.

You will learn that pedals, amplifiers, valves and speakers have differnt 'pressure points' and levels of definition. Should these pressure points coinside misfortunately or the definition be off you will utterly hate your gear regardless of price or connection.

Now I may not have Joes rig up to scratch but let's start off with one of his tones. If you indeed use the expected Celestion speakers and not EVs you may want something crunchier and grittier with less highend than Joe would typically use, for instance. This is likely why so many dislike the FET Driver, e.g.

Hi,
i don't want to have Joe's tone or duplicate his rig. I was only pointing out how many difference there was between the two pedalboards described, how different solutions were used, and so on. So i just wanted to know how these components (like loop switcher, buffers and so on) work, and how or when use them.

My problem is that the last time i used my pedalboard i could hear a radio station from the amp!!!
And when i don't have this kind of problem, i notice a lost of tone when i use my effects pedals. Some friend suggested to look into building a better pedalboard, with better connectors, power supply and maybe buffers or loop switcher or pedal controller.

I play different kind of music, as i'm not part of a real band, but enjoy to play at gigs with as many friends i can find. Sometimes i will play in a pink floyd style band, other times with a Pearl Jam cover band, but i will describe the music i play later on.

Most of the times i don't bring any of my amps, as i usually use the amp already present at the studio or gig place. So Marshall of all kind, Fenders, Orange, Blackstar...most of the time cheap stuff. Some with a loop effect, some without.

So, the idea of a pedalboard ready for every eventuality makes really sense.

My rig:

I want to clarify that i've bought all these gears in the used market, except for The Mayer, Haynes and Tremonti. I don't want to spend big $$$.

Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster John Mayer Sig. (my go to guitar!)
Fender Eric Clapton CS Blackie (this baby is only for my pleasure, and usually stays home)
Fender Ash Telecaster Am Deluxe (noiseless pickups)
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2005
Gibson ES 335 Warren Haynes (My new sweetheart smile )
Gibson ES 335 Joe Bonamassa (you know her!)
Gibson ES 335 Chris Cornell (two of these, black and Drab Green, but i'm selling them after the arrive of the Haynes!)
PRS Tremonti Sig. Model

Amps:
Fender Twin Reverb
Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig. V3 + 2x12 Two Rock Sig. cab with 1x M75/65LD (top) + H75/65LD Scumback
Marshall TSL 100 Head + 4x12 Marshall cab (celestion V30)
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo (just bought last week, really great amp!)

Effects:

Vox v847 wahwah
MXR phase 90

Keeley Tubescreamer Flexi mod
Keeley Blues driver mod
Keeley Fuzz Head
Keeley compressor 4 knobs
Keeley katana boost

Suhr Riot (my favorite right now)
Suhr Shiba drive

Boss DD3
Line 6 DL4

T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic

I think i will need a reverb pedal, now i use the one on the amp.

For my style of music:
Ron, i have my style and my own tone, but to give you some info about what i like...
I will have to play mostly in blues-rock-Classic/Southern rock bands. I can do a little Gilmour, but the tone i really love and search for goes from John Mayer to SRV, Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, obviously Bonamassa, Pearl Jam and the amazing Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.
I don't play the "real " Blues, it's too "heavy" on me, but the more rock-blues songs like the ones from Driving Towards the Daylight by Joe.

Some of them don't even use a single pedal (Trucks), others like John Mayer use them a lot

I'd also really like to have a more professional way to pair amps. I've read all of Joe suggestions, and i'd really love to have a way to control more than one amp, and pair them and A B A+B them.
Not at these kind of gigs, but i live in the country in the middle of nowhere, so when i play my amps in my yard i'd really like to have my WALL OF SOUND !! smile

Ok, i think this describe what i will try to do.

I just wanted to read and understand how all these different components work and if or when use them. The goal is to solve the problems i have experienced with my chain of effects, but i don't want to do something just because someone told me to do so. I'd like to understand why do this or avoid that, ...understands how these things work, so i was asking for some good link to read about it and learn about it.

Thanks anyway for all you can teach me about it

Best Regards
Stefan

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Stefan76 wrote:

Hi,
i don't want to have Joe's tone or duplicate his rig. I was only pointing out how many difference there was between the two pedalboards described, how different solutions were used, and so on. So i just wanted to know how these components (like loop switcher, buffers and so on) work, and how or when use them.

My problem is that the last time i used my pedalboard i could hear a radio station from the amp!!!
And when i don't have this kind of problem, i notice a lost of tone when i use my effects pedals. Some friend suggested to look into building a better pedalboard, with better connectors, power supply and maybe buffers or loop switcher or pedal controller.

I play different kind of music, as i'm not part of a real band, but enjoy to play at gigs with as many friends i can find. Sometimes i will play in a pink floyd style band, other times with a Pearl Jam cover band, but i will describe the music i play later on.

Most of the times i don't bring any of my amps, as i usually use the amp already present at the studio or gig place. So Marshall of all kind, Fenders, Orange, Blackstar...most of the time cheap stuff. Some with a loop effect, some without.

So, the idea of a pedalboard ready for every eventuality makes really sense.

My rig:

I want to clarify that i've bought all these gears in the used market, except for The Mayer, Haynes and Tremonti. I don't want to spend big $$$.

Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster John Mayer Sig. (my go to guitar!)
Fender Eric Clapton CS Blackie (this baby is only for my pleasure, and usually stays home)
Fender Ash Telecaster Am Deluxe (noiseless pickups)
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2005
Gibson ES 335 Warren Haynes (My new sweetheart smile )
Gibson ES 335 Joe Bonamassa (you know her!)
Gibson ES 335 Chris Cornell (two of these, black and Drab Green, but i'm selling them after the arrive of the Haynes!)
PRS Tremonti Sig. Model

Amps:
Fender Twin Reverb
Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig. V3 + 2x12 Two Rock Sig. cab with 1x M75/65LD (top) + H75/65LD Scumback
Marshall TSL 100 Head + 4x12 Marshall cab (celestion V30)
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo (just bought last week, really great amp!)

Effects:

Vox v847 wahwah
MXR phase 90

Keeley Tubescreamer Flexi mod
Keeley Blues driver mod
Keeley Fuzz Head
Keeley compressor 4 knobs
Keeley katana boost

Suhr Riot (my favorite right now)
Suhr Shiba drive

Boss DD3
Line 6 DL4

T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic

I think i will need a reverb pedal, now i use the one on the amp.

For my style of music:
Ron, i have my style and my own tone, but to give you some info about what i like...
I will have to play mostly in blues-rock-Classic/Southern rock bands. I can do a little Gilmour, but the tone i really love and search for goes from John Mayer to SRV, Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, obviously Bonamassa, Pearl Jam and the amazing Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.
I don't play the "real " Blues, it's too "heavy" on me, but the more rock-blues songs like the ones from Driving Towards the Daylight by Joe.

Some of them don't even use a single pedal (Trucks), others like John Mayer use them a lot

I'd also really like to have a more professional way to pair amps. I've read all of Joe suggestions, and i'd really love to have a way to control more than one amp, and pair them and A B A+B them.
Not at these kind of gigs, but i live in the country in the middle of nowhere, so when i play my amps in my yard i'd really like to have my WALL OF SOUND !! smile

Ok, i think this describe what i will try to do.

I just wanted to read and understand how all these different components work and if or when use them. The goal is to solve the problems i have experienced with my chain of effects, but i don't want to do something just because someone told me to do so. I'd like to understand why do this or avoid that, ...understands how these things work, so i was asking for some good link to read about it and learn about it.

Thanks anyway for all you can teach me about it

Best Regards
Stefan

So sounds like initially you have a noise problem or bad ground. This is everyones common enemy. It takes time to narrow down the problem but %99 of the problem is ground loops or bad power going to your rig. The best advise I can give you without methodically going step by step through your rig which I would need to be there to do is suggest this.
You need to start to isolate issues. I may say some obvious thing so please do not get offended. So first your guitar a cable then to amp, do you get hum/radio? if yes try new cable if no check the cable going to your head to cab. If still no change and assuming there is no issue with the wiring of your guitar are you sure that a hum is not coming from your amp like a weak tube? Keep going through the process as you add pedals to see where the hum is.
Lose of tone and power is one of the things that goes with using pedals. The best way I have found to isolate that and many ground loop problems is to isolate each pedal via a switching system that uses isolation. Yes cost money but that will work. Something like the gig rig or similar unit.
I could go on and on but. We all have these issues
good luck
cheers Ron

"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Ok, thank you. I will look into it. Really interesting how these switching systems work. I have already found a gigrig2 on the used market here in italy. No CAE. Do you know what system Joe uses?

Can you also suggest the best system to switch or pair amps? In Joe rig i can see he use LEHLE. Any other suggestion?

We have a very limited market here in Italy, so it's usually hard to find the right gear, and most of the times with prices really too high.

Stefan76 wrote:

Ok, thank you. I will look into it. Really interesting how these switching systems work. I have already found a gigrig2 on the used market here in italy. No CAE. Do you know what system Joe uses?

Can you also suggest the best system to switch or pair amps? In Joe rig i can see he use LEHLE. Any other suggestion?

We have a very limited market here in Italy, so it's usually hard to find the right gear, and most of the times with prices really too high.

Hi yeah Lehle amp switchers are great they use awesome isolation transformers. Palmer is another good amp switcher company. Also Radial and others make amp switchers. I have not seen Joe use any pedal type unit such as the gig rig for I am sure his board is properly buffered and isolated for optimum performance. Try the one at a time approach to eliminate noise and signal loss. Remember anything anything that is in the signal flow will change your tone. Use high quality short patch cables between pedals. The order the pedals in the chain will make a difference also. I would forgo the gigrig type solution and clean up your current chain, use a buffer/driver last in chain but if you use a Lehle type switcher that will isolate that. Also ground loops and noise can come from small currents from guitar cables causing a ground loop using two amps but the Lehle will take care if that.
Sometimes finding noise and signal related issues is somewhat black magic. Patience is what it takes
Good luck cheers Ron

Great advice from Ron. I use the Radial Twin City amp switcher and there is no tone loss at all. It has a 180 degree switch which solves any phase issues. Very good price and solid as a rock. A good power supply is important for reducing noise. I use the Pedal Power 2 plus and it really eliminates the hum I use to get from daisy chaining off a standard boss type power supply. Good patch cables (as Ron has already said) are vital. I bought some George L cable solder less cable and the tone improvement was clearly audible...compared to the cheap patch cables I used to use. One final note, if you use a wah pedal, keep it away from any power supply units. The Crybaby wah I have gets very noisy if it's too close to the PP2+. Good luck in your adventure. smile

Friedman amp with a boss delay. No other pedals necessary from the Black Crows to Pink Floyd. I'm on the right, solo at 2:09.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjpki2uUS-A

Hi, really good jbyrd1 !!!

What model of Friedman? I've never heard of them but they seems amazing. Unfortunately no way i am gonna find one used here in italy!!!

Cheaper to experiment with the board, buy new cables, and find out what pedal cause the problem... smile

Good luck on your hunt Stefan. I've heard and seen Joe many times up close and checked out his rigs. Small club go-to for him is a twin reverb with tube screamer and a delay. Sweet, simple and no matter what he uses, it always sounds like Joe. Chase that tone in your head but don't kill your budget doing it. It is truly in your hands.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Hi Rick, lately i've been playing my Twin Reverb + Suhr Riot and the Reverb of the amp...great tone and fun!!!

As for the hands...I'm a pastry chef, i can make amazing thinks with them, but good guitar playing is not one of them!!! tongue

Here is an old cartooned image of JB's signal chain
http://oi51.tinypic.com/j97tag.jpg

Here are some photos from when the copper JB fuzz was new
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cz9To5JXsNo/S … _Setup.jpg

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Stefan76 wrote:

Hi, really good jbyrd1 !!!

What model of Friedman? I've never heard of them but they seems amazing. Unfortunately no way i am gonna find one used here in italy!!!

Cheaper to experiment with the board, buy new cables, and find out what pedal cause the problem... smile

I had this one built custom...it is a 50W Brown Eye with a second master added for the boost channel. Yes, cheaper to experiment with pedalboards for sure.