145 (edited by Wooders 2014-07-03 08:19:23)

Re: Gov't Mule

I'm typing this from Heaven as I haven't come back down for the last two nights. Last night's second London date was probably even better than the first with another stellar setlist of favourites and a smattering of first timers. I also got my wish of a Brit or two plus there was a London based US citizen (Joe McGlohon) who also guested with Mule in London a year ago. David and I had hoped that Joe might stay in London to guest at one of these shows but he's such a busy boy he was off to Aus the day after the Calling Festival. sad  Joe and Warren on the same stage in London? Now, that would have been special and remains on my wish list for sometime in the future, maybe.

It's a shame you couldn't stay in London for a few more days, Kenny. I'm sure there'll be plenty of video for you to see what you missed, but there's no need to ask if it was good - it's Mule!

Set 1

Bad Man Walking
Inside Outside Woman Blues
Lay Your Burden Down >
Smokestack Lightning >
Lay Your Burden Down >
About to Rage
Stratus
Stoop so Low
Mule >
Who Do You Love? >
Mule

Set 2

John The Revelator
Gameface with Mountain Jam tease (there was another ABB tease that I’ll have to listen to again to identify correctly)
When the World Gets Small
Devil Likes it Slow with Joe McGlohon on sax
Drums
Slackjaw Jezebel
Thorazine Shuffle

Encore

Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood with Don Airey & Bernie Marsden
Ain’t No Love in the Heart of the City with Don Airey, Bernie Marsden & Joe McGlohon

The encores were superb with Warren encouraging us all to sing along to Ain't No Love. Great fun and good to see Don and Bernie too.

Forum attendees were me, David, Ian(916) and his wife plus Wombat (Ray) and somewhere, haveacigar - you must come and say hello sometime. No need to ask where we'll be.

After coming out of hibernation to go to the Calling Festival and these two gigs in 5 days I'm off to find a nice warm bed (not just because I've only had 4 hours sleep the last two nights). As Jane might say, mumble, mumble, grumble.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Late to the party, but finally got around to buying Shout!  Very cool album, I'm digging it.  For the most part, i like Warren singing more than the versions w/ the guests, although it's nice to hear something a little different.

couple of films from last night including a 20 minute (plus) encore that was amazing with two very old classics, - the songs, not Bernie Marsden and Don Airy.... “aint no love in the hart of the city” preceded by “Don’t let me be misunderstood”. Interesting songs as both were made famous as covers.

"Slackjaw", and old favourite of mine, - solo went off on its own little walk in this version: http://youtu.be/D0VEGtg389o

Small ish clip of “Stoop So Low” http://youtu.be/_aq86wdMfwM

and the encore, - well worth 20 minutes of your time, - it was an absolute privilege to witness this. http://youtu.be/Y5YKVOX-4jo

as always, enjoy MuleHeads. smile - Like Phil, - still tired and somewhere up in the clouds !

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Only two days of waiting . . .

Hi Marlies,

I wish I could join you for another helping of Mule as I'm sure you'll be in for a treat. As you can see from the above setlists we were really spoilt in London. I hope you have a great time and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

Like Ian and Phil I am tired but happy. Nearly six hours of seriously good music over two nights is a rare treat indeed. I was missing my Mule fix last night so much, I played the 2.5 hours of Mule Tracks I bought from their 2009 Amsterdam show all the way through. Kind of rounded off a spectacular couple of days. Great to meet up again with Ian, Phil and Ray too.

Wooders wrote:

Hi Marlies,

I wish I could join you for another helping of Mule as I'm sure you'll be in for a treat. As you can see from the above setlists we were really spoilt in London. I hope you have a great time and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Phil

That would have been great if you join us for some more Mule-shows, Phil. I'm sure I'll have a great time!!!!

Bonapostle wrote:

Only two days of waiting . . .

Yeah, have fun!! I will download this show via livedownloads......

quicks

Had a great time with Mule in Hamburg, Hanover and Amsterdam!!!

Here's the first song from Hamburg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OxhuAPB0Jc with some familiar faces at the front . . .

No time to write more . . .

Jane H. wrote:

thanks for posting. nice vantage point and i see Guenter, Eva, and Ben!

….as always in the front row!

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Great to see Günter, Eva and Ben in the front row standing in exactly the same place David, Ian and I were standing in London to see Mule. smile

Here are a few of my videos taken over the two nights in London. At my youtube channel you can take your pick from:

Thelonius Beck
Rockin' Horse
Painted Silver Light
Stratus
Mule>Who Do You Love>Mule
When The World Gets Small

I may put some more up as and when.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

For those who haven't already heard, Mule have announced the release of "Dark Side of The Mule" scheduled for 8th December. Orders placed on mule.net will be dispatched on the 5th, I think. In Europe the distribution is being handled by Mascot Records.

Here's an extract from the e-mail I received from Mascot.

"Rock torchbearers Gov’t Mule are celebrating their 20th anniversary with an extensive tour and a series of dynamic live archival releases that highlight the group’s versatility and epic, fearless live performances. No two Gov’t Mule shows are alike, as the band draws on the more than 300 songs in their repertoire (and often a host of special guests) to create a unique experience each and every time. Their steadily expanding fan base knows that the Mule always has something special waiting for them. Expect the unexpected.

Dark Side of the Mule will be released on December 8, 2014, and features 90 minutes of Pink Floyd covers recorded during the band’s Halloween 2008 show at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, MA. There will be three configurations including a standard version (1-CD), a deluxe version (3-CD/1-DVD package featuring the entire 3-hour performance). A double vinyl version will be available around January 12, 2015.

All configurations feature newly-mixed and mastered audio.

Pre-order from MLG Merch, and we'll include a free Dark Side of the Mule poster!"

These are the prices in EUR quoted on the Mascot website.

Single CD : €12.99
3 CD+DVD : €19.99
2 LP : €22.99

I doubt many single CDs will be sold as the 3CD+DVD looks to be far better value. wink

Tracklisting 3CD+DVD:

Disc 1
1. Brighter Days
2. Bad Little Doggie
3. Brand New Angel
4. Gameface
5. Trane / Eternity's Breath / St. Stephen Jam
6. Monkey Hill
7. Child Of The Earth
8. Kind Of Bird

Disc 2
1. One Of These Days
2. Fearless
3. Pigs On The Wing, Pt. 2
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1 - 5
5. Have A Cigar
6. Speak To Me
7. Breathe (In The Air)
8. On The Run
9. Time
10. The Great Gig In The Sky
11. Money
12. Comfortably Numb

Disc 3
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 6 – 9
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Million Miles From Yesterday
4. Blind Man In The Dark

BONUS DVD
Features the entire performance in Stereo & 5.1!

A nice Christmas present - if you can wait that long!

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

I was lucky enough to be at that show (Back Door Slam made their debut opening that night for them - no pressure there, lol).  It was an awesome show complete with light show, flying pigs, etc.  Always wondered why it never got released (we knew they were filming) - now I know.  Can't wait for this one.  They shut them down after the first encore - Warren was ready to go all night.  Highlight of the night was Matt Abts SINGING!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Oh Boy!!! I'll drop a hint in the family Xmas draw. big_smile
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

samjp4 wrote:

I was lucky enough to be at that show (Back Door Slam made their debut opening that night for them - no pressure there, lol).  It was an awesome show complete with light show, flying pigs, etc.  Always wondered why it never got released (we knew they were filming) - now I know.  Can't wait for this one.  They shut them down after the first encore - Warren was ready to go all night.  Highlight of the night was Matt Abts SINGING!

Sandy

A support act for a Mule show? I don't think that's happened when I've seen them in the UK, but what a great gig for Davy. I would love to have been there for that show - lucky you, Sandy. smile

I'm really intrigued to hear Mule's take on some of the tracks from Floyd's DSOtM, especially Time. I can't imagine Mule employing lots of electronic wizardry, but I guess they must have done.

Another Mule album to add to my collection. I could never have too many. big_smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Here's a clip from the DVD of Fearless.

I'm looking forward to this CD/DVD set for a very welcome Christmas present. smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Wooders wrote:

I'm looking forward to this CD/DVD set for a very welcome Christmas present. smile

Yes indeed, I've dropped a few heavy hints too wink

I just bought tickets to see them in Boston. Woo!

Reasonably good seats were available as of last week for those in the area.