Re: To all the Newbies

Rocket wrote:

Just another normal lousy breakup people tend to have...have any of that kind of experience yourself?  High School?!

Rock ON & Keep the Hanky W.C. Handy Faith,
Rocket

tamarra wrote:

Hi there!  Well apparently I have been living under a rock!  I'm a huge blues fans and have only recently discovered Joe.  I'm so impressed with him, his music, his attitude and he's adorable to boot!

I love his song happier times, and I know it's about something that wasn't good.  I'm not nosy, but I can't help wondering what happened!  Any ideas???

Oh yes...too many to count!  I guess those heartaches do tend to make for great blues!

cathysiler wrote:

Wow! New members are coming at record rates..Welcome!! As I'm sure you've noticed, we (forum members), do try to give each of you a warm welcome. If we've missed anyone, sorry! Just want you to know we are all equals. Your opinions and ideas are valuable. Don't worry about proper grammar, spelling or any of that..We're international and just glad we can communicate in the shared language of Joe. Number of posts also means nothing. Many of those are greetings to new members. Best of all you can't be too Joe obsessed! It is encouraged here! Again, welcome. Take some time to read past threads. I'm old, well versed in music and yet have learned more on this site than any other resource!  Cathy

Hi, and a welcome to 77327ajm and tamarra!

ajm...looks like you have Joe's best interests in mind too!  We all hope Joe keeps going for a long time.

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

Hi Everyone!  I'm a long time Joe B fan and was pretty sure I was registered on here a llllooonnnggg time ago but alas, cannot remember when or passwords etc so I just re-registered!  I remember reading lots of the posts but  don't remember posting much myself in the past. Very active on Bona-Nation for the past several years ... Big THANKS to Lary T for that site...but will try to be better about visiting here much more often.  Wish you all a happy, healthy 2014 filled with all things Joe!!  Thanks for having me here!

Welcome back!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I"m new here too. I just discovered Joe on a cable TV station  about a week ago.....can't believe I didn't know about him. I spent much of my youth (starting at 14) running down to the Village to see Muddy, Buddy Guy, John Lee, Willie Dixon, etc and a little band called the Blues Project that Al Kooper started. Almost every weekend there.

So how did I not know about Joe.....been listening to the blues for 50 years now! Jeez.

One of the best I"ve seen and I"ve seen them all. Passion, intensity, technical skill and the looks (LOL). He's got it all. And this is a friendly place.

Unfortunately, sniff, Joe won't be playing in New York City on this tour. Maybe the next one. Can't wait. I have my DVD's to enjoy in the meantime.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Berthold Auerbach

I"m not sure if this is proper netiquette (sp?) but I saw this on another board and I was really touched by it.

Board moderator, is this is not okay, I will delete this. This is from some kid who had met Joe and got a big surprise

am 15 and have been playing guitar for two years now and one of my biggest influences is Joe. I've seen him four times and I'll see him twice this summer... why? Because he puts on an amazing show and always takes time to talk with me.

When he last came through my hometown on his recent tour he, once again, blew the place down. After the show he came out to six of us waiting out back. He looked up, smiled, and said "Sorry I took so long to get out here..." and proceeded to talk with all of us and sign autographs. I was just discussing the fact that I was too young to make it to the show in Denver the next night when he ... without even thinking said "Do you want to go?" Of course I said "Yeah!" He gave me two free tickets and put me on the guest list for that show and made sure I got in to see it. I got my picture with him... said my thanks and left. The next night I saw another stunning performance. After the show he walked out and came straight up to me and thanked me for coming with a big, genuine smile on his face. He shook my hand and that was that.

He didn't know who I was when he gave me those tickets and he certainly knew I had nothing to give him in return. He did it because he cares for his fans. He is honestly one of the nicest guys I've met and that's it. It's the reason I'm proud to call myself a Joe Bonamassa fan.

Berthold Auerbach

What a beautiful story, rubyjt!  That is exactly why we all love Joe.  Plus he is such a huge advocate for young players!

Are you at liberty to say which other forum you saw this on?  Just curious.

Thanks for posting!!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

278 (edited by rubyjt 2014-02-08 10:06:14)

Oh God, it was some awful site. Edited for a lot of negative nonsense

Berthold Auerbach

I just found another great post at that site I mentioned

This thread was brought to my attention, and since one of my blog posts was referenced briefly (Thanks by the way!), I felt the need to put my two cents in.

Now, musically speaking, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You like Joe, or don't like Joe musically, that's your personal preference. I personally feel that you're losing out on some of the most fantastic music being produced today. But, to each their own.

But this is the Joe Bonamassa I know :

The Joe who will regularly spend an hour or two meeting and talking with fans, after a 2 hour show, signing autographs until the last person who wants to talk with him has left.

The Joe who consistently insists that his fans get the best show possible for their money. Even to the point of canceling some shows due to poor sound or bad conditions. That may piss some people off, but it's to maintain quality.

The Joe who regularly plays over 200 shows a year, whether sick or not. Even when he is feeling sub-par physically, by the time he hits the stage, he gives his all. I've never seen Joe give a substandard show, no matter how physically ill he is.

The Joe who always has time for me, no matter if it's just to talk, or for an interview, he always has made time for me, and I only have to assume, always will. Always gracious, unassuming, humble, forthcoming, candid and open, he's truly a joy to talk to. It's what makes him one of the best interviews in the business.

The Joe who has opened doors for many younger, lesser known musicians, giving them opportunities they might not otherwise have had.

The Joe who has worked, in between dates of a hectic tour schedule, with the Blues In The Schools program through The Blues Foundation, when he could have been using that time selfishly to perhaps...I don't know... rest?

Yes, that sounds like the definition of diva to me.

As for being a soulless guitarist...given that Eric Clapton just joined him onstage at The Royal Albert Hall, and Eric has throughout his career made a point to join onstage soulless artists...let's see, he DID guest with The Allman Brothers not too long ago, didn't he...I suppose that would have some credence, given EC's track record.

I also suppose being chosen by the readers of Guitar Player magazine(given that guitarists are notoriously hard to please regarding talent) as best blues guitarist 3 years running means he has no soul as well.

So...at the end of what was a pinnacle performance of his career, one that in 5 years time has seen him has seen him go from playing in front of 60 people in his first appearance in London to selling out The Royal Albert Hall in front of friends and family - getting up on an amp and hoisting a Flying V in triumph isn't allowed, and is criticized? Give me a break.

Everything that Mr. Bonamassa has achieved thus far has been through hard work and talent, and to deny someone that opportunity at the end of such triumph, at the venue where so many of his idols have triumphed before him, (even being joined by one of them earlier) is just bad form, and reeks of jealousy.

I have seen many of the greats, from Zeppelin, Clapton, to The Allman Brothers, SRV, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher...the list can go on forever, and a Bonamassa show is one which ranks up there with the very best. As for any onstage "moves"...Joe has stated himself recently that he's an entertainer, and that's part of the show. Every show I've been at the fans seem to really dig it, so he must be doing something right - especially to inspire fans to fly thousands of miles to see him.

Can Joe be an A -hole? I'm sure he can be. As can I and anyone who reads this. It's human nature. Let he who is without sin in that area cast the first stone.

And God forbid, given the media whipping the entire world population into a tither over the seriousness of the Swine Flu, that someone request not to have any handshakes, touching etc. at this point in time when many people in numerous countries have gone to wearing surgical masks.

I suppose it's not enough to play the show, and play it well, but now one needs to be willing to lay down their life possibly to make the "fans" happy.

As for his music being predictable, I don't believe we're listening to the same Joe Bonamassa. One of the characteristics of his albums thus far has been that no two have been the same. From the heavy blues of 'A New Day Yesterday', to the acoustic textures which graced 'Sloe Gin', to the genre hopping of his latest 'The Ballad Of John Henry' - he has painstakingly, despite some fans' misgivings, resisted making the same album twice. It's one of the things which makes him stand apart from the pack, and continues to keep things interesting.

In closing, I'm honestly shocked that so many would take cheap shots at someone they don't even know in a forum where the motto is "Where Music Plus Friends Equals Family".

Berthold Auerbach

280 (edited by rubyjt 2014-02-12 16:34:24)

I found another wonderful story from a man who is slightly disabled and got to go to a concert and meet up with Joe

Originally Posted by mingus 
An all-mahogany one at that. It is a stellar guitar. 

That's right, Joe told me that, I must have forgotten in all the excitement. THAT IS A SWEET GOLDTOP!!

The best part of the whole nite, was meeting Joe. Mr Joe Bonamassa is the most regular, down to earth guitar geek. I felt so comfortable with him, and I liked him a lot. I have met many "ROCK STARS" and the primidonna bullshit that goes with that, sometimes gets so stupid that I get myself in trouble. I was told once NOT TO MAKE EYE CONTACT with a certain artist before the show. There was zero amount of that crap in evidence. Joe IS ONE OF US! There is none of that pretentious no brown M&M's, make the bread and meat the same size bullshit!! I have been lucky enough to meet many of my musical hero's, and damn few of them ever made me so comfortable. Maybe it is an Upstate NY thing. If you have ever met Joe's parents, you can see why. Joe's dad reminds me of so many of my friends. He is typical upstate NY. His mom is the mom we all want. With parents like that, how could it be any different.

He knows how much we love this gear, and he willingly shares it every nite of his tour. It is his nature. When you see him in concert you see the guitars and amps we are so obsessive about. Right there on stage, being played and used like they are supposed too!!! You just don't get that opportunity much anymore.

All he had to do was say hi, and have someone show us around. He willingly spent most of his time before the show with my son and I. I felt comfortable and his crew is GREAT!!

Look, this guy is one of us, and that is why it is so great that he is here. How cool is that?? Really, the one guy who is out there touring with these Les Pauls we are enamored of is right here with us. He is just as geeky as we are about this.

I did get to see the NEW JOE BONAMASSA signature Dean Guitar. 
And I didn't eat even one canoli, there was a whole tray of delicious, lovely cheese canoli's right there, mocking me, looking so good, so delectable, so fattening!!! I was good, and didn't take a singe one. Not even one bite!!! You think my wife would be impressed by that?? No, I still spent the nite on the couch.
__________________Originally Posted by mingus 
An all-mahogany one at that. It is a stellar guitar. 

That's right, Joe told me that, I must have forgotten in all the excitement. THAT IS A SWEET GOLDTOP!!

The best part of the whole nite, was meeting Joe. Mr Joe Bonamassa is the most regular, down to earth guitar geek. I felt so comfortable with him, and I liked him a lot. I have met many "ROCK STARS" and the primidonna bullshit that goes with that, sometimes gets so stupid that I get myself in trouble. I was told once NOT TO MAKE EYE CONTACT with a certain artist before the show. There was zero amount of that crap in evidence. Joe IS ONE OF US! There is none of that pretentious no brown M&M's, make the bread and meat the same size bullshit!! I have been lucky enough to meet many of my musical hero's, and damn few of them ever made me so comfortable. Maybe it is an Upstate NY thing. If you have ever met Joe's parents, you can see why. Joe's dad reminds me of so many of my friends. He is typical upstate NY. His mom is the mom we all want. With parents like that, how could it be any different.

He knows how much we love this gear, and he willingly shares it every nite of his tour. It is his nature. When you see him in concert you see the guitars and amps we are so obsessive about. Right there on stage, being played and used like they are supposed too!!! You just don't get that opportunity much anymore.

All he had to do was say hi, and have someone show us around. He willingly spent most of his time before the show with my son and I. I felt comfortable and his crew is GREAT!!

Look, this guy is one of us, and that is why it is so great that he is here. How cool is that?? Really, the one guy who is out there touring with these Les Pauls we are enamored of is right here with us. He is just as geeky as we are about this.

I did get to see the NEW JOE BONAMASSA signature Dean Guitar. 
And I didn't eat even one canoli, there was a whole tray of delicious, lovely cheese canoli's right there, mocking me, looking so good, so delectable, so fattening!!! I was good, and didn't take a singe one. Not even one bite!!! You think my wife would be impressed by that?? No, I still spent the nite on the couch.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt … amp;page=3

Berthold Auerbach

Rubyjt, keep these coming!  They are the best!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

282 (edited by rubyjt 2014-02-12 17:30:10)

Aint they? LOL, makes you love the guy even more. Too bad more celebrities/musicians aren't like this.

Berthold Auerbach

Hi, I'm new here and trying to find out which day Joe is playing the Calling Festival in the UK,  REALLY hoping it's the Saturday!!  Thanks.

284 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-03-06 09:30:32)

vampy1666 wrote:

Hi, I'm new here and trying to find out which day Joe is playing the Calling Festival in the UK,  REALLY hoping it's the Saturday!!  Thanks.

Hi Vampy - Sat June 28th, Clapham Common.

http://www.recordoftheday.com/news-and- … ham-common

if link doesn't work, go and find thread by Kenny in General Topics. Tickets available Ticketmaster, Livenation & Ents24

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Hi,
Sorry I'm on the wrong thread. Can't find the Registry. Anyhoo, I've got # 080, bought at San Jose GC about 6 mo.'s ago.
Love it. Covers a wide range, even decent arch top L5'y kind of thing. I've got a '59 345 and a '69 335, and the JB holds its own quite well. Pretty good for a new guitar. Also, it's light like an old one.

gwalker725 wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I'm on the wrong thread. Can't find the Registry. Anyhoo, I've got # 080, bought at San Jose GC about 6 mo.'s ago.
Love it. Covers a wide range, even decent arch top L5'y kind of thing. I've got a '59 345 and a '69 335, and the JB holds its own quite well. Pretty good for a new guitar. Also, it's light like an old one.

Seems a shame for this to get lost here. Go on over to the "gear" section and you'll see the sticky wink  BTW welcome smile

Welcome to Joe World everybody!! If you have specific questions I fear they will be lost here. Gear questions in "Gear", ticket sales in "Marketplace" and others under "General". I'm not a neat freak or anal in any way, lol, I just don't want folks thinking we are ignoring them. The Bonamassa fandom is full of helpful people wink

Hi all, I am a recently new fan of Joe's music, having discovered him from his last album. I have been fortunate enough to see him live at the Albert Hall, and in Cardiff on his last UK tour. I was also lucky enough to be at the front for his appearance at Download Festival, and I intend to be at the front for his appearance at the Calling Festival next week.  His music has made a big impression on me, and I admire the way he respects his fans. Should have done this a while ago, however, nice to meet fellow fans!