Re: Tour De Force CD's

I received my CDs and my shirt today as well.  The shirts fits okay but there is not much extra room for growth and it'll be interesting to see how it fits after I wash it.  It appears to have the potential to end up as a shirt for my cat.  But that being said, I am most excited about the 4 fantastic CDs!!!!!  w00t!!!!!!

whirlwind wrote:
Dark blues wrote:

I can't wait! I don't really buy a lot of DVDs and I only listen to music in my car. I've spent almost $5000 on the system in my car because sound quality is everything! I can't wait to crank it up and just cruise without a worry in the world!:)

And my wife thinks my headphone  fetish is expensive  smile

If I usually wear an extra large....what size of shirt should I order.....2x?

Depends on how you like the fit.   I used their sizing chart, it said to order XL,  and I'm right between a L and XL  ( been on a diet ) ,  so I took a chance on XL.

And it fits OK now, but after its washed, it will be more like sausage casing smile 

I like loose fitting Tees,  so I should've gotten the XXL .

If you've ever worn an Adidas T-Shirt,  well I love their XL,  they are a bit over sized and right down my alley.   If that helps any.

That's cool! Please, share your system setup - very interesting!

Dark blues wrote:

I can't wait! I don't really buy a lot of DVDs and I only listen to music in my car. I've spent almost $5000 on the system in my car because sound quality is everything! I can't wait to crank it up and just cruise without a worry in the world!:)

Well first I have a 99 Civic Si. The head unit is a flat screen Pioneer, front speakers are JL audio components with custom fiberglass baffles, the rears are JL audio 6x9's with fiberglass baffles, I have 2 JL audio 12" W1 and both amps are JL audio as well. I have also lined the entire car with Hushmat. For what it is it sounds great. My people my age are into a lot of bass but I'm more into sound quality. $5000 is kinda the starting point for a good system. I know people that have spent $20,000 on a system, but that's because everything was custom made.

Dark blues wrote:

Well first I have a 99 Civic Si. The head unit is a flat screen Pioneer, front speakers are JL audio components with custom fiberglass baffles, the rears are JL audio 6x9's with fiberglass baffles, I have 2 JL audio 12" W1 and both amps are JL audio as well. I have also lined the entire car with Hushmat. For what it is it sounds great. My people my age are into a lot of bass but I'm more into sound quality. $5000 is kinda the starting point for a good system. I know people that have spent $20,000 on a system, but that's because everything was custom made.

I hear you...I have spent thousands on headphones and headphone amps......more bass is not better bass  smile

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

whirlwind wrote:

more bass is not better bass  smile

amen!

I'm broke, motherf**ker!

25 (edited by storiesbysteve 2014-05-22 14:02:06)

I just got the new Tour De Force Royal Albert Hall show. I loved the DVD and feel it is a stronger show than the first RAH. I was really looking forward to the CD. But, I am disappointed in the fade outs after each song.

Some of these fades are 4-5 seconds long and very noticeable. Why on earth do that?? I think it just started with the Amsterdam cds. The first cd, mostly acoustic is the most noticeable. The song completely ends and then there is another 2-3 second gap in the music after the music ends - on some tunes the fade is even longer than a studio album.

Some of the fades make no sense - like the end of Mountain Time has Joe telling the audience "good night" and it fades out as he is talking! On the DVD he introduces the band and then plays Sloe Gin. But, there is no band intro and the song starts right up! It sounds odd to me on the CD after watching the DVD. Why no band intros?

Why did Kevin do it like this? I would just like to know the rationale and why he has only recently begun doing these fades. But, these fades seem longer than on the new Beth & Joe live CD.

Maybe this is a mistake? a disc flaw??

SBS

Have only listened to Hammersmith so far. Sound is surprisingly thin. Makes me nervous about the rest. We'll see ...

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I'm having trouble uploading  the Borderline CD to I-Tunes.    It only accepts Disc One and Two separately, won't put them together as it does on the other three CD's .     And while it downloads album artwork for Disc One,  I-Tunes tells me it can't find the artwork for Disc Two.    Very strange.

Its been my experience, that CD's made from DVD's, where they've separated the audio and video streams,  won't have the best sound quality.

28 (edited by dknight16 2014-05-23 17:01:21)

I ways load 2 disc shows as [Disc 1] and [Disc 2].  I force it that way even if the Gracenote database doesn't default to that. You can control it either way by editing the disc title. I noticed that Gracenote was quite inconsistent in what it returned for the 8 separate discs.

Also, I was referring to the official CD version. Perhaps they simply could not get a great sound out of the venue. It sounds more like a live on the fly broadcast version than a post recording full master.  Having to do 4 shows back to back must have been an unbelievable challenge. And then post production for 4 BluRays and 4 DVDs and then 4 audio CDs. They must have been sick of this project by now!!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

29 (edited by timb 2014-05-23 20:57:16)

Chawbacon wrote:

I'm having trouble uploading  the Borderline CD to I-Tunes.    It only accepts Disc One and Two separately, won't put them together as it does on the other three CD's .     And while it downloads album artwork for Disc One,  I-Tunes tells me it can't find the artwork for Disc Two.    Very strange.

You can fix that.

The two albums have to have the exact same name, without "[disc 1]" and "[disc 2]". To change that, select all songs, and use command-I on a Mac, or right-click on a PC. Then edit the album name so the both match. You should also see that one disc has a field for disc number, and one will be 1 of 2, the other 2 of two.

When you have it right, the two albums will be shown together in iTunes with a single album image.

I have the set, and found I had to fix a couple names too, as I didn't want a Jockey full of Burbon, nor a Lask Kiss. :-) (that was the first RAH disc)

Gracenote will accept submissions from publishers. These look like they took consumer submissions for this set.

timb wrote:
Chawbacon wrote:

You can fix that.

Fixed.

Thanks smile

storiesbysteve wrote:

I just got the new Tour De Force Royal Albert Hall show. I loved the DVD and feel it is a stronger show than the first RAH. I was really looking forward to the CD. But, I am disappointed in the fade outs after each song.

Some of these fades are 4-5 seconds long and very noticeable. Why on earth do that?? I think it just started with the Amsterdam cds. The first cd, mostly acoustic is the most noticeable. The song completely ends and then there is another 2-3 second gap in the music after the music ends - on some tunes the fade is even longer than a studio album.

Some of the fades make no sense - like the end of Mountain Time has Joe telling the audience "good night" and it fades out as he is talking! On the DVD he introduces the band and then plays Sloe Gin. But, there is no band intro and the song starts right up! It sounds odd to me on the CD after watching the DVD. Why no band intros?

Why did Kevin do it like this? I would just like to know the rationale and why he has only recently begun doing these fades. But, these fades seem longer than on the new Beth & Joe live CD.

Maybe this is a mistake? a disc flaw??

Yes, I quite agree!!! These fade-outs are nothing but disgusting...There's hardly any live atmosphere any more!!! - I would have liked to listen to Joe's (rare) comments again, his remarks concerning his newly bought shoes, the band introduction, whatever...absolutely disappointing...
Fortunately, I've bought only the Shepherd's Bush CD set... will have to rip the DVDs...
CrazyMama56

P.S. ...and I don't understand why there aren't more readers of this forum complaining about this rip-off...or are Joe and his management above any criticism?!

SBS

has anyone worked out if there are any missing songs from the CD vs the DVD?

Reason I ask is the ANDY - LIVE DVD is different on the DVD than the CD
(not talking ANDY-studio here)
I had to rip the Solo-Are You Experienced and Had to Cry Today out of the DVD, this made a 2nd cd on the ANDY-LIVE cd set.
but well worth the rip
Now I guess I need to rip Rockplast

but still interested if someone finds a song count difference

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I have received the TDF Albert Hall CD as a Birthday present.
Musical content is similar to his UK tour in Sept.
The production and sound quality are excellent.
One slight criticism is that the production has lost the live feel of the original concert.
It sounds just like a studio album with the addition of some 'audience backing'.
Haven't quite decided whether that is a good thing or not.
Love the heavier version of Sloe Gin and Midnight Blues is quite simply brilliant.
Black Lung Heartache, Jelly Roll and Jockey Full of... are the highlights of the acoustic.
Well done Joe and Kevin.

34 (edited by dknight16 2014-05-28 18:42:47)

Huh.  The current arrangement of Sloe Gin kind of sucks all of the power of the song out of it for me.  Just my $0.02.

35 (edited by storiesbysteve 2014-05-29 02:52:31)

Personally, I like the music of the CDs I have bought (Borderline and RAH) But, you do lose the experience of the concert with the banter and I am dismayed at the fades. Maybe that's why the CDs are not being reviewed very much like the DVDs were.

I am thinking the fades were for the downloaders who pay 99 cents for a handful of tunes they want. Then, they cut and paste songs to make their own cds. I confess that I am that way and have downloaded a lot of individual songs. That's the only logical thing I can think of. Other releases did not have these fade and left concert banter in.

I would not post a bad review of Joe on Amazon but I think on this blog we are freer to give criticism. We are all Joe fans and when hard core fans don't review a CD then something may be wrong. The DVDS were much enjoyed and well reviewed here and on Amazon. But the cds are not being reviewed much at all. Except most mention the fade outs.

OK, now some positive stuff - the music of the Borderline show is fantastic. I wanted to hear Joe with a 3 piece again and he has not lost a step. His fingers and blurs. I loaned my 4 dvd set to a friend and he thought the Borderline was his favorite show. The cd has all the music and is well produced - except I too hate the fade outs and miss the short talk with the audience.

The Royal Albert Hall show is better than the 2009 RAH concert in my opinion. I love the music on the cd, but I cannot tell if it was recorded at the RHA or Nowhere in Particular. You lose the experience of being there.

But, I think it had to have been done to sell to the downloaders - people who pay 99 cents to download a few songs rather than $20 for the entire 2 disc set. That would make sense for J&R.

I bought 2 of the shows, but I will likely just get a neighbor to rip the dvds of the other two. I have already bought two of the cds and all four of the dvds and I have everything else Joe has done. That's enough for now. But, if the editing had been better on the CDs then I would likely have bought all four of them. That's my honest feedback for J&R as a fan who has bought everything they produced - until these last two cds of the Tour de Force.

SBS

Here's a link to a review in a German online magazine - rocktimes.de - which points at the same problem...

http://www.rocktimes.de/gesamt/b/joe_bo … ce_cd.html

by the way, the same criticism goes for the Joe and Beth's Amsterdam CD release... it's crap as it lacks any atmosphere...