Topic: Picking neck profiles and nut widths

Hello,

how much "feel"difference is ther between a Fatback and the .820? Why would someone prefer a fatback?
- 'C' shape {1" Fatback}
- 'C' shape {.820"}
- 'SSV' super soft vee {.900"}
- 'SSV' {.820"}
Same with the super soft vee...is there really a big difference between .82 and .9?

Nut widths
- 1 & 11/16" {Medium}
- 1 & 5/8" {Vintage}
- 1 & 3/4" {Wide}

How does one go about prefences on a nut width?
obviously the wide would have the stings farther apart...vintage being the skinniest?

My 73 les paul has a skinny neck, or a slim taper. very comfy, but I've played Fenders with big ol baseball bat necks with comfort as well. I guess I wouldn't know how to choose.

Is there any logic or rationale to these choices outside of pure preference???

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Picking neck profiles and nut widths

Small hands = small neck. At least that's for me. The exception being the Ibanez Artcore AGS, which has a pretty wide neck. But everything is what I've been told is a modern C shape.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

You simply have to choose the best neck by trying as many guitars as you can and finding the right profile, nut width and scale lenght for you.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hello,

how much "feel"difference is ther between a Fatback and the .820? Why would someone prefer a fatback?
- 'C' shape {1" Fatback}
- 'C' shape {.820"}
- 'SSV' super soft vee {.900"}
- 'SSV' {.820"}
Same with the super soft vee...is there really a big difference between .82 and .9?

Nut widths
- 1 & 11/16" {Medium}
- 1 & 5/8" {Vintage}
- 1 & 3/4" {Wide}

How does one go about prefences on a nut width?
obviously the wide would have the stings farther apart...vintage being the skinniest?

My 73 les paul has a skinny neck, or a slim taper. very comfy, but I've played Fenders with big ol baseball bat necks with comfort as well. I guess I wouldn't know how to choose.

Is there any logic or rationale to these choices outside of pure preference???

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I know it's slightly off topic, but don't forget about the radius factor. I have a JB series Tele with a lower radius neck, like the old ones, and it's great for rhythm playing. The problem is big bends around and above the 10th fret. Unless you set the action pretty high--or a significant neck bow--it'll fret out and lose tone when bending strings. My American Standard Strat has a 9.5 radius and that can even be a problem when I forget to change strings.

Just a thought--rock on.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

5 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-10-08 11:36:55)

Most of my guitars have the C shape.

An SRV strat's neck plays pretty comfy. I've played some soft vee necks and thought they played different but equally nice...I wasn't jumping up and down because of the difference.

I was just wondering  if anyone has "diversity" when it comes to their necks, or do you stick with the same shape?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool