Topic: Joe's Gibson Goldtop

Well as my first year of playing guitar is coming around the corner I recently acquired one of Joe's children, the Bonamassa Gibson Goldtop! It took some hunting and research, but I finally have one and let me tell ya it's a beaut! My collection is growing steadily and I can say with a straight face that G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) is a serious matter. haha! My question is why on some of Joe's Goldtops is his signature on the truss rod and then on others it's typed? I have the 2011 run and it has his name typed on the truss rod. I was trying to research as to why this was and couldn't find any info. I'm asking this merely out of curiosity. Anyways, I couldn't be happier with this guitar and love the look of it as well, it's so sharp! Next purchase...the principal skinner model! ....Okay, a girl can dream tongue

Re: Joe's Gibson Goldtop

Congratulations!!  Good score.  The original 300 are fairly difficult to find, and their value seems to keep going up!

What number is yours?

I may be wrong, but I think all the original 300 had the 'typed' name on the truss rod cover.  But I'm sure Joe will sign that one for you if you get to meet him! big_smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

3 (edited by helrazr84 2014-04-13 22:02:21)

There was an ORIGINAL run of 300 goldtop signature guitars which featured the name printed vertically on the truss rod plate. Out of that 300 run, most were aged, a small amount were not aged and a small handfull (really small) came in a very dark blue color. ALL part of the original 300 guitars.

(Post Epiphone model):
There was a run of Les Paul STUDIO models that have a script signature on the truss rod plate. These guitars DON'T have fret binding.
There was a run of Goldtop Bonamassa Les Paul Standards exclusively from Wildwood guitars.
There is also a regular Bonamassa Goldtop Les Paul Standard that is sold by Musicians Friend/Guitar Center (maybe a few other retailers), that are a little different from the Wildwood run.
Of the last 2, the main difference was that one of the issue runs came with Bonamassa Seymour Duncan pickups, sunglasses and  few other things. I don't remember which retailer had that package deal.

Thanks for the info guys! I looked up the serial numbers on the original 300 and most of them are number JB1-300? The number on mine is 108311367 so i'm doubting it's the original run of 300. It's a little confusing trying to figure out what model I have. I know mine is not aged also. Going to keep digging to see what I can find. I appreciate the comments!!

What Fun & Coolness Erin! Congratulations! smile

On my Certificate of Authenticity the Serial Number:
                     JOE BONAMASSA AGED LES PAUL GOLDTOP
                                          BONAMASSA 184

Still in awe &  most grateful to Joe every time I open the case up.... "Lil' Joe" cool
                                pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

edragoo wrote:

Thanks for the info guys! I looked up the serial numbers on the original 300 and most of them are number JB1-300? The number on mine is 108311367 so i'm doubting it's the original run of 300. It's a little confusing trying to figure out what model I have. I know mine is not aged also. Going to keep digging to see what I can find. I appreciate the comments!!

Congrats on your guitar. The original 300 have on the back of the head stock example " BONAMASSA 252" if they are not listed in this manner they are something other then the original 300. Congrats again on your guitar
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

7 (edited by helrazr84 2014-04-14 07:25:08)

Erin,
Does it have fretboard binding? The cream/white strips of plastic that run the length of the fretboard. If not, it's a JB Studio Les Paul.

Someone must have gotten a typed trussrod cover and put it on there. The Les Paul Studio Les Pauls usually have the Signature on the truss rod cover.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

9 (edited by airportdon 2014-04-14 08:19:27)

Congrats on the guitar...I would give gibson customer service a call....find out which model it is....Studio or a Standard

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

10 (edited by Spider 2014-04-14 08:29:16)

There was the original 300 Gibson "Inspired by" Joe Bonamassa Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul. These have a serial number prefix of "Bonamassa". Typed TRC

There was a run of Gibson Bonamassa Signature Goldtop Studio Les Pauls. (not custom shop).

There was a run of Epiphone Bonamassa Signature Goldtop Les Pauls. (non custom shop)

Through Wildwood Guitars there was a run of Gibson Custom Shop "Bonaburst" Les Pauls that also included a few Gibson Custom Shop Goldtop Les Pauls. Serial numbers on these are prefixed with "Joe B". Typed TRC

There was also a small run of Gibson Bonamassa Signature Goldtop Les Paul Standards. (non custom shop)

Erin, your serial numbers are likely imprinted into the back of the headstock with "Made In USA" underneath. I'm just not sure if you have a Studio or a Standard. Both are fine guitars. Enjoy!!

Congrats!!! Best wishes on your Golden Joe LP!

To follow up on NPB's post ... I believe the Joe Epiphones had the typed out cover ... and both cover styles are on ebay now and again.

(Like was mentioned ... an outreach to Gibson with the # should help.)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

12 (edited by Spider 2014-04-14 12:35:03)

There was also another Wildwood run I had forgotten about. A Gibson Bonamassa Signature LTD Custom Shop Glossy Goldtop LP. Those have a serial number prefix of "JBG". Those too had a typed truss rod cover.

Definitely email Gibson customer service with the serial number along with a photo or two. Customer service there have always been very helpful.

Erin, so happy for you.  I know that you must be so happy to own one of Joe's kids.  Congrats.

Just thought i'd update everyone, seeing as though I got word from the man himself (Joe) and it looks like I have the Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is one of 1500. I was starting to worry that the previous owner switched truss rods on me or something, but now that it's clarified I feel much better! Thanks for all the comments! smile

edragoo wrote:

Just thought i'd update everyone, seeing as though I got word from the man himself (Joe) and it looks like I have the Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is one of 1500. I was starting to worry that the previous owner switched truss rods on me or something, but now that it's clarified I feel much better! Thanks for all the comments! smile

That's so cool.  The Studio is actually a really great guitar too.  There was in a music store in Sydney a couple of years back when I travelled there on business, and I played it for a while.  If I didn't already have one of the first 300, I probably would have scratched the pennies together to get the Studio.

Enjoy it.  Do you play?  Forgive me if you have told us all on another thread - my memory is pretty bad! smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Oh how cool Devan! I woud love to have one of the 300 that's sweet! Yeah I do play! It's actually been about a year now that i've been practicing and such, which seems crazy cause it feels like yesterday I was asking my brother to teach me how to play a song. Time really does fly. I love the guitar, I feel like I don't do it enough justice half the time cause it has Joe's name on it and I feel like anything with Joe's name on it should be played with the highest caliber. But, I am learning and will get there eventually. smile

edragoo wrote:

Oh how cool Devan! I woud love to have one of the 300 that's sweet! Yeah I do play! It's actually been about a year now that i've been practicing and such, which seems crazy cause it feels like yesterday I was asking my brother to teach me how to play a song. Time really does fly. I love the guitar, I feel like I don't do it enough justice half the time cause it has Joe's name on it and I feel like anything with Joe's name on it should be played with the highest caliber. But, I am learning and will get there eventually. smile

I'm a firm believer that you can learn the basics on any guitar, but there will come a point at which you find a cheaper guitar will hold you back, for whatever reason. My first guitar was a MiM Strat, my second was an American Deluxe which cost a LOT more!! It is well worth having a good guitar to help inspire you to progress.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

I may have over looked it been already said,  but wasn't there another run of 300 guitars sometime in 2012/2013?

(I know we now know this is a studio though).