Re: Welcome back Aynsley Lister!!!

You certainly are overdosing on Aynsley, Mike, if that's possible. Yet another nice descriptive review - you should write for a living. smile

I've been meaning to get round to adding some links to my videos from the summer to this thread. I'll do it eventually.

I was intrigued that Aynsley played Tore Down at Reeth. You'll know that this number was on Aynsley's debut album, Messin' With The Kid in 1996 when he was just a wee lad, but boy could he play. I wish he'd get back to playing some raw blues sometimes as I think it's something that's missing from his current repertoire. Can you have a word, please? wink

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

128 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-12-02 10:27:21)

Aynsley in my sandpit 3 times in one month; it does seem a little like an overdose but worth it. Anyway, I'll be "cold turkey" now until early March 2014, but my table is already booked at Guisborough.

To be honest, didn't expect the 2nd encore at Reeth, caught me totally off guard especially as I was deputising for Steph on the merch stand and setting out the CDs: the one time I'd wished I had a phone-cam with me as I can't find any other record on YouTube of Aynsley playing this, though Blues Sissi thinks he played it at Blues Rhede back in October. I was hoping for a repeat or ANY 2nd encore at The Cluny, the band was firing on 8 cylinders and I know Aynsley had been watching his old Rory Gallagher DVDs while between gigs, but not to be. I have heard word that Balls Of Steel has been dusted off a couple of times. Still, this time he managed to come off stage and still have a voice, unlike last year.

I liked the way Steve Amadeo summed up the Reeth gig when I was chatting with him on Friday, he said it was such a relaxed atmosphere, he felt like stepping off the stage, grabbing a pint and sitting watching the band himself.

I'll pass your request on for more raw blues; I know some look down their noses at Sugar, but it's such a deceptive little shuffle and a great one for guests to jam with; Straight Talkin' Woman I think will be one for a bit audience participation. See what happens in 2014, whether he'll keep the set list pretty much untouched, or whether it'll be tweaked and maybe some older "gems" brought back in now that the band line-up seems pretty stable.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Aynsley played The Caves Edinburgh last night to a good sized crowd with support from Eilidh McKellar and GT's Boos Band. Some may recognise Eilidh's name from playing with Joe. It was however a lager swigging Matt Schofield who joined Aynsley for a jam of 'Going Down' towards the end of the set. Like Aynsley the following night, Matt and his band were enjoying a night out before their show in the same venue. Eilidh is also supporting night, tickets on slae at the door, if you're nearby.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Greenose wrote:

Aynsley played The Caves Edinburgh last night to a good sized crowd with support from Eilidh McKellar and GT's Boos Band. Some may recognise Eilidh's name from playing with Joe. It was however a lager swigging Matt Schofield who joined Aynsley for a jam of 'Going Down' towards the end of the set. Like Aynsley the following night, Matt and his band were enjoying a night out before their show in the same venue. Eilidh is also supporting night, tickets on slae at the door, if you're nearby.

Would've liked to have seen them play together.  "Going Down" is one of my favorite songs.

131 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-01-22 04:30:02)

"Aynsley's on the road again"...... Spring 2014 schedule:-

Guitar Weekend Workshop - January 17th - 19th 2014
Denham Grove - Tuition

Jan25 NL  Assen Blues Festival
Jan30 UK  Winchester The Railway - Solo

Guitar Weekend Workshop - January 31st to February 2nd 2014
Denham Grove - Tuition

Feb14 UK  Crawley The Hawth - Solo
Feb15 UK  Crawley The Hawth - Solo
Feb20 UK  Bilston Robin 2
Mar01 UK  Guisborough Rhythm and Blues Club
Mar13 DE  Duisburg Grammatikoff
Mar14 DE  Hamburg Downtown Blues Club
Mar15 DE  Kellinghusen PEP Kulturverein
Mar16 DE  Braunschweig Barnaby's Blues Bar
Mar17 BE  Verviers Spirit Of 66
Mar22 UK  Banbury Blues Festival
Apr04 DE   Roth Kulturfabrik (with King King)
Apr05 DE   Karlsruhe Jubez
Apr11 UK   Barton-upon-Humber Ropery Hall
Apr12 UK   Harrogate Ripley Blues
Apr26 DE   Rutesheim Uhlenspiegel
Apr27 DE   Stuttgart Laboratorium
Apr28 DE   Weinheim Muddy's Club
May02 DE Birkenfeld Stadthalle Birkenfeld - Band
May03 DE Eulenspiegel Seidenroth - Band
May04 DE Altdorf Jimmy's Cafe & Lounge - Band
May05 DE Haiming Gewölbe Band SOLD OUT
May06 DE Haiming Gewölbe - Band
May08 AT Kufstein KuFa – Kulturfabrik  - Band
May09 AT Rankweil Altes Kino - Band
May25 UK Tilfest Beer and Music Festival - Band
May31 UK Redditch Palace Theatre - Band
Jun04 UK Bracknell The Cellar Bar, South Hill Park Arts Centre - Solo
Jun14 UK The Greystones - Band
Jun21 UK Linton Linton Festival - Band
Jun29 UK Nottingham Warthog World of Music - Solo/Duo
Jul11 UK Billericay - NEW VENUE New Crawdaddy Blues Club - Band
Jul12 UK Gravesend Bluesfest - Band
Jul24 UK Farnham The Maltings - Band
Jul31 CH Romanshorn Sommernachtsfest - Band

Interesting new blog from Aynsley on the recording of his HOME album, should appeal to players and technical bods alike; the view from "behind the guitar" as it were:-

http://www.aynsleylister.co.uk/index.php/news/gear-blog

Tune in to TeamRockRadio tomorrow Jan 25th; 6-8pm (UK) to hear 3 tracks http://www.teamrockradio.com 

Aynsley & Andre Bassing session.

Hot Diggity-dawg!!!

Aynsley & band come out of spring training and hit a sold out Guisborough R’n'B Club for the 1st time this decade (at least since 2008) and knocked the place clean out the park.

Queuing at the door in good time to get a good seat, had a sneaky listen to the sound check and got that vibe that this was going to be a good ‘un. Sure enough, as soon as Big Sleep kicked off, the audience forgave Aynsley his long absence from the venue and just ate up all the new (to them) numbers which probably included Early Moring Dew and What's It All About let alone Inside Out and Hyde 2612. As is becoming the norm, Sugar was a good opportunity to bring on a guest, and who better than Guisborough local, Andrew Pipe, who really shone as Aynsley generously stepped back and gave him lead before stepping forward for some sparring and then the two matched note-for-note for a section.

2nd set opened with what I at first throught was Quiet Boy! revisited, but Maestro later told me it was an instrumental track from an old Bluesbreakers, but it made a great segue into Straight Talkin’ Woman and from there, the rest of the set was mainly built round Home, Free, Possession, Broke and Feelin’ Good. No big changes, but then why change a winning recipe?

Well, there was one big change - on keyboards, a new face called Rob Neally (sorry if spelt wrong….), standing in, one-night-only for Andre who was otherwise committed. Rob did an outstanding job, all the more remarkable considering that he hadn’t rehearsed with the band other than the sound check. And you can’t not mention Steve & Boneto, working in tandem as probably the best backline on the go.

So a packed Guisborough R’n'B club were left baying for an encore and Aynsley brought the band back out for a super treat, the classic Tore Down followed as usual by a searing Purple Rain. After a 6 year absence, Guisborough reward Aynsley with one of the most packed crowds I’ve seen there, probably equalling The Hoax last year, and Aynsley paid his dues with as a tight a rocking blues set as I’ve ever heard him deliver.

BansheeUK wrote:

Hot Diggity-dawg!!!

Aynsley & band come out of spring training and hit a sold out Guisborough R’n'B Club for the 1st time this decade (at least since 2008) and knocked the place clean out the park.

Queuing at the door in good time to get a good seat, had a sneaky listen to the sound check and got that vibe that this was going to be a good ‘un. Sure enough, as soon as Big Sleep kicked off, the audience forgave Aynsley his long absence from the venue and just ate up all the new (to them) numbers which probably included Early Moring Dew and What's It All About let alone Inside Out and Hyde 2612. As is becoming the norm, Sugar was a good opportunity to bring on a guest, and who better than Guisborough local, Andrew Pipe, who really shone as Aynsley generously stepped back and gave him lead before stepping forward for some sparring and then the two matched note-for-note for a section.

2nd set opened with what I at first throught was Quiet Boy! revisited, but Maestro later told me it was an instrumental track from an old Bluesbreakers, but it made a great segue into Straight Talkin’ Woman and from there, the rest of the set was mainly built round Home, Free, Possession, Broke and Feelin’ Good. No big changes, but then why change a winning recipe?

Well, there was one big change - on keyboards, a new face called Rob Neally (sorry if spelt wrong….), standing in, one-night-only for Andre who was otherwise committed. Rob did an outstanding job, all the more remarkable considering that he hadn’t rehearsed with the band other than the sound check. And you can’t not mention Steve & Boneto, working in tandem as probably the best backline on the go.

So a packed Guisborough R’n'B club were left baying for an encore and Aynsley brought the band back out for a super treat, the classic Tore Down followed as usual by a searing Purple Rain. After a 6 year absence, Guisborough reward Aynsley with one of the most packed crowds I’ve seen there, probably equalling The Hoax last year, and Aynsley paid his dues with as a tight a rocking blues set as I’ve ever heard him deliver.

Nice video of jam with Aynsley and Andrew Pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDX78r1 … tube_gdata

Nice review, Mike. More blues please Aynsley. wink

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

BansheeUK wrote:

Hot Diggity-dawg!!!

Cool review, thanks. Looking forward to Aynsley's appearance in our local Blues Club on 28 April.( 3rd gig for me)

Cheers Phil, think the "blues quotient" is on the increase - and some interesting things happen while the band plays as Aynsley changes guitar.

Thanks Anna, make sure you get chance to say "Hi" to Aynsley & band after the show.

Yes, Mike I'll try joining the "after gig party" speaking English with Aynsley and Steve and German with Andre... Cheers!

Going to see him again next monday at the spirit of 66 Verviers.

Aynsley headlining at the Gravesend/Kent Bluesfest on Saturday 12 July 2014 ( own thread here under other artists with a link to the festival informations).

Aynsley & Band are also making appearances at Banbury Blues Festival on 22nd March, Tilfest (Tilbury) on May 25th and Linton Festival on 21st June

143 (edited by retlawv 2014-03-23 05:22:14)

He was great last onday at the Spirit of 66 in Verviers.

Here's my review for rootstime, with movies and pictures

http://www.rootstime.be/LIVE/MAART2014/ … ISTER.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_van … 704135833/

Aynsley Lister jamming with Alan Nimmo - dream ticket surely:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUtZqOj0O0