Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Well, if you liked that lot PSmith, wait till you get a load of this weeks' (Jan 17th).

21:00 Born to be Wild: The Golden Age of American Rock  School's Out
2/3 In the 1970s, rock stars became millionaires and their music soundtracked middle America.

22:00 Alice Cooper: Brutally Live
The king of shock rock's inimitable stage show at the Hammersmith Apollo in July 2000.

23:30 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part V
5/6 Including Johnny Thunders, Duane Eddy, Robin Trower, Peter Green, BB King and Joan Jett. (R)

00:30 Born to be Wild: The Golden Age of American Rock  School's Out
2/3 In the 1970s, rock stars became millionaires and their music soundtracked middle America. (R)

01:30 Alice Cooper: Brutally Live
The king of shock rock's inimitable stage show at the Hammersmith Apollo in July 2000. (R)

03:00 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part V
5/6 Including Johnny Thunders, Duane Eddy, Robin Trower, Peter Green, BB King and Joan Jett. (R)

One for the lamp black and grease paint, methinks......

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Another good night, must set the box to record (wife has poor music taste pop and country). lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

While you're at it, set the box for the following Friday (24th) as the 3rd part of Born To be Wild is on, looking at the 80s US Rock. (Begs the question, at what age is it advisable for gentlemen to stop wearing Spandex?).

20:00 Chamber Music at the BBC Julian Bream at the BBC
3/3 Julian Bream's performances include duets with John Williams, jazz and lute music.

21:00 Born to be Wild: The Golden Age of American Rock  Welcome to the Jungle
3/3 The final part explores the 1980s and the eventual demise of the golden era.

22:00 Bon Jovi in Concert
Bon Jovi rock London's tiny BBC Radio Theatre, performing classics from six albums.

23:00 Classic Albums  Tom Petty: Damn the Torpedoes
A look at the creation of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' album Damn the Torpedoes. (R)

00:00 Born to be Wild: The Golden Age of American Rock  Welcome to the Jungle
3/3 The final part explores the 1980s and the eventual demise of the golden era. (R)

01:00 Bon Jovi in Concert
Bon Jovi rock London's tiny BBC Radio Theatre, performing classics from six albums. (R)

02:00 Great American Rock Anthems: Turn it up to 11
Documentary celebrating the evolution of the American rock anthem from the 70s to the 90s. (R)

03:00 Classic Albums  Tom Petty: Damn the Torpedoes
A look at the creation of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' album Damn the Torpedoes. (R)

166 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-01-24 03:54:59)

Mixed bag for Jan 31st, but a good selection nonetheless:-

21:00  Blondie: One Way or Another
Documentary about New York band Blondie, with performance footage and interviews. (R)

22:15 Sound City
Dave Grohl uncovers stories about the legendary Los Angeles studio, Sound City.

00:00 ... Sings the Great American Songbook
Featuring Shirley Bassey, Jamie Cullum, Bryan Ferry, Kirsty MacColl and Florence Welch. (R)

01:00 When Rock Goes Acoustic
Documentary taking a look at the love affair between rock and the acoustic guitar. (R)

02:00 Sound City
Dave Grohl uncovers stories about the legendary Los Angeles studio, Sound City. (R)

167 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-01-30 11:02:21)

Timely reminder to set the Record buttons, Feb 7th looks to be in tribute to recently past Phil Everly (as well as being the week of brother Don's birthday); couple of old Arena specials:-

21:00 Arena  The Everly Brothers: Songs of Innocence and Experience
Film about the Everly Brothers, among the most revered of the early rock 'n' roll giants. (R)

22:35 Arena  The Everly Brothers Reunion Concert
1983 Royal Albert Hall concert by the Everly Brothers following their ten-year split. (R)

23:55 Country at the BBC
With Tammy Wynette, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and more. (R)

01:25 50s Britannia Rock 'n' Roll Britannia
1/2 Documentary about British youth's attempts to copy American rock 'n' roll in the late 50s. (R)

02:25 Arena  The Everly Brothers: Songs of Innocence and Experience
Film about the Everly Brothers, among the most revered of the early rock 'n' roll giants. (R)

Fri 14th Feb, Features singer/songwriter Neil Sedaka

21:00 Neil Sedaka: King of Song
Documentary portrait telling the story of singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka's life and career.

22:00 Neil Sedaka Says: All You Need Is the Music
Neil Sedaka performs hits from his rock 'n' roll days and his later, more lyrical age. (R)

22:45 Kings of Rock and Roll
A look back at the 1950s, a decade often seen as having the wildest pop music of all time. (R)

Friday 21st Feb - should be of more interest to forumees; featuring Riley "BB" King:-

21:00 BB King: The Life of Riley
How an orphaned young man came to carry the title of king of the blues.

22:35 Blues at the BBC
Collection of performances by British and American blues artists from the BBC archives. (R)

23:35 Blues America  Woke up this Morning
1/2 How the early blues musicians used the latest media to bring their music to the public. (R)

00:35 Blues America  Bright Lights, Big City
2/2 How blues conquered the world and the music moved from black to white audiences. (R)

01:40 BB King: The Life of Riley
How an orphaned young man came to carry the title of king of the blues. (R)

03:15 Sounds of the 70s 2  Troubadours - Peaceful Easy Feeling
3/10 Featuring Neil Young, America, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King and Eagles. (R)

Set them digi-boxes......

21st looks great Thanks Banshee  cool

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

28th Feb - and we're rockin' all over the schedules..... QUO!

21:00 Hello Quo
Alan G Parker's documentary recounts Status Quo's epic story. (R)

22:20 TOTP2  Status Quo
A collection of some of Status Quo's finest Top of the Pops performances. (R)

23:05 Classic Albums Black Sabbath: Paranoid
A look at the creation of Black Sabbath's Paranoid, which came to define heavy metal. (R)

00:00 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part VI
6/6 With the Who, the Faces, Focus, Davy Graham, Ralph McTell, Nils Lofgren and Ted Nugent. (R)

01:00 Hello Quo
Alan G Parker's documentary recounts Status Quo's epic story. (R)

02:20 TOTP2  Status Quo
A collection of some of Status Quo's finest Top of the Pops performances. (R)

03:05 Sounds of the 70s 2 Troubadours - Peaceful Easy Feeling
3/10 Featuring Neil Young, America, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King and Eagles. (R)

Cheers Mike. Thanks for keeping this thread going. I used to rush home each Tuesday evening to rip open the plastic bag containing next week's RT, but now I can relax having seen what's coming up in advance. big_smile

Ah the Frantic Four - saw them many times back in the day, mostly up close in sweaty little clubs. DunDdunDdunDdun big_smile

I really enjoyed The Life of Riley last Friday. It was a fascinating story and great to see Joe and a lot of the other young (and not so young) guns we all love singing the praises of BB. It made a change from the usual people they roll out in documentaries who don't really know the subject but are a "name".

As for the BBC Guitar Heroes series, why do they consider people like Ralph McTell and Lou Reed a guitar hero? When are they going to include Joe's performance on Jools Holland's show that's what I want to know?!

Phil
PS Mike, you must do something about that selfie you're using as an avatar. lol

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

The Life of Rock with Brian Pern is one of the funniest music mockumentaries since Spinal Tap. Really, really excellent. Shame it is only 3 eps long.

Wooders wrote:

Cheers Mike. Thanks for keeping this thread going. I used to rush home each Tuesday evening to rip open the plastic bag containing next week's RT, but now I can relax having seen what's coming up in advance. big_smile

Ah the Frantic Four - saw them many times back in the day, mostly up close in sweaty little clubs. DunDdunDdunDdun big_smile

I really enjoyed The Life of Riley last Friday. It was a fascinating story and great to see Joe and a lot of the other young (and not so young) guns we all love singing the praises of BB. It made a change from the usual people they roll out in documentaries who don't really know the subject but are a "name".

As for the BBC Guitar Heroes series, why do they consider people like Ralph McTell and Lou Reed a guitar hero? When are they going to include Joe's performance on Jools Holland's show that's what I want to know?!

Phil
PS Mike, you must do something about that selfie you're using as an avatar. lol

Cheers Phil - just glad that folk are finding it useful. Missed the BB King stuff, was away at the week-end, but no doubt it'll be round again in a few months.

Ah, the mighty Quo - best gig I (almost) saw them play was on the End Of The Road tour, mid 80s - playing Newcastle City Hall, did 2 songs and the computer on the lighting rig failed (damn Spectrums), after a few minutes, they came back out on stage and asked the audience if they wanted the show with just the house lights; we did, and they played an absolute blinder - there's no better sight in Newcastle City Hall than the balcony bouncing.

Ha - I'm applying the mud-pack now; don't make me laugh until the end of the week. tongue

174 (edited by Ian916 2014-02-28 18:27:37)

oh dear, - BBC4 playing Status Quo mid 80’s songs brought back the memories of how brilliance went to insipid pap! Luckily I saw them a few times in the frantic four days including their farewell tour.......

Switched over to Sky Arts1, - The Pixies Live from 2004, - fantastic band that influenced so many.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

175 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-03-06 04:06:20)

Friday March 7th - Bit of a mixed bag compared to recent "themed nights", though Storyville should be worth catching.

21:00 Storyville  2013-2014, Muscle Shoals: The Greatest Recording Studio in the World
Film about the studio where some of America's most creative and defiant music was made.

22:50 Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart. (R)

00:20 BBC One Sessions  Paul Simon
The legendary American singer-songwriter appears in concert from LSO St Luke's, London. (R)

01:10 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part II
2/6 With Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder and Angus Young. (R)

02:10 Storyville  2013-2014, Muscle Shoals: The Greatest Recording Studio in the World
Film about the studio where some of America's most creative and defiant music was made. (R)

Sorry about late addition of this week's programmes, asleep at the wheel.....

March 14th - looks like a gem of a programme at 21:00 (rept 00:30)

21:00 The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Triumphs and Tragedy of Gene Clark
Profile of Gene Clark, the former Byrds frontman who pioneered folk rock and country rock.

22:30 The Old Grey Whistle Test  California Comes to the Whistle Test
A compilation of BBC performances by artists who lived in California in the 1970s. (R)

23:30 The Beatles' Please Please Me: Remaking a Classic
Current artists recreate the session that resulted in the Beatles album Please Please Me. (R)

00:30 The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Triumphs and Tragedy of Gene Clark
Profile of Gene Clark, the former Byrds frontman who pioneered folk rock and country rock. (R)

02:00 The Old Grey Whistle Test  California Comes to the Whistle Test
A compilation of BBC performances by artists who lived in California in the 1970s. (R)

03:00 The Beatles' Please Please Me: Remaking a Classic
Current artists recreate the session that resulted in the Beatles album Please Please Me. (R)

Don't know if anyone's been following the recent story about BBC axing one of it's channels, but looks as if BBC3 is going. Good news in that we get to keep music nights like this, but sad news as BBC3 gave us some interesting and quirky series. That's if all these reports are true - as Abraham Lincoln once said, "you can't always believe everything you read on the Internet."

176 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-03-18 08:46:22)

March 21st - looks like a night for fans of the Strolling Bones to get their "satisfaction"....

19:30- 20:00 Transatlantic Sessions  Series 6, Episode 5
5/6 Jerry Douglas and Aly Bain are joined by John Doyle and Allan MacDonald. (R)

21:00 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun
Footage of the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park 2013 performance, with special guest Mick Taylor. (R)

22:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC
A collection of rare archive footage celebrating 50 years of The Rolling Stones. (R)

22:55 Brothers in Arms
Documentary about brothers who have formed and fronted rock bands. (R)

23:55 The Kinks at the BBC
The story of The Kinks, as told from the vaults of the BBC archive. (R)

01:00 The Rolling Stones at the BBC
A collection of rare archive footage celebrating 50 years of The Rolling Stones. (R)

01:45 Brothers in Arms

02:45 The Kinks at the BBC

Friday March 28th - Bit of a mixed-bag, but what a bag!

21:00 Robert Plant: By Myself
Robert Plant discusses his musical journey from Stourbridge to superstardom. (R)

22:00 The Genius of Bert Jansch: Folk, Blues and Beyond
Interviews, archive footage and performances celebrating the songs of Bert Jansch.

23:30 Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop
The story of one of the biggest-selling bands of all time, told in their own words. (R)

00:30 BBC Four Sessions Bert Jansch
Scottish singer-songwriter and guitarist Bert Jansch performs with star guests. (R)

01:30 Robert Plant: By Myself
Robert Plant discusses his musical journey from Stourbridge to superstardom. (R)

02:30 The Genius of Bert Jansch: Folk, Blues and Beyond
Interviews, archive footage and performances celebrating the songs of Bert Jansch. (R)

BansheeUK wrote:

March 21st - looks like a night for fans of the Strolling Bones to get their "satisfaction"....

19:30- 20:00 Transatlantic Sessions  Series 6, Episode 5
5/6 Jerry Douglas and Aly Bain are joined by John Doyle and Allan MacDonald. (R)

21:00 The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park: Sweet Summer Sun
Footage of the Rolling Stones' Hyde Park 2013 performance, with special guest Mick Taylor. (R)

22:10 The Rolling Stones at the BBC

22:55 Brothers in Arms

23:55 The Kinks at the BBC

01:00 The Rolling Stones at the BBC

01:45 Brothers in Arms

02:45 The Kinks at the BBC

Sorry about the mix-up, anyone who tuned in on Friday expecting a night of Rolling Stones and ending up with an evening of Mike Oldfield instead. In deference to the tragic death of Mick Jagger's long-term girlfriend, the BBC decided to re-arrange things and I wasn't aware of the changes until too late.

That said, did anyone watch the "Live" presentation of Tubular Bells (Pt 1) from 1974? Were my eyes (and ears) deceiving me, Mick Taylor and Steve Hillage on guitars?

BansheeUK wrote:

That said, did anyone watch the "Live" presentation of Tubular Bells (Pt 1) from 1974? Were my eyes (and ears) deceiving me, Mick Taylor and Steve Hillage on guitars?

No deception. It was indeed Mick Taylor and the - then - Godlike Steve Hillage smile

April 4th - What is it they say; "if you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there"? Well consider tonight's offerings a memory jogger: centring round Brian Epstein, "the story of a man who threw the biggest party of the 1960s, but ultimately forgot to invite himself."

19:30 - 20:00 Transatlantic Sessions Series 6, Episode 6
6/6 Featuring Karen Matheson, Maura O'Connell, Aoife O'Donovan, Tim O'Brien and Andy Irvine. (R)

21:00 Arena  The Brian Epstein Story: The Sun Will Shine Tomorrow
Documentary examining the turbulent life and career of Beatles manager Brian Epstein. (R)

22:15 Arena  The Brian Epstein Story: Tomorrow Never Knows
By the mid 60s, Epstein was lured into the world of gambling, sex and drugs. (R)

23:30 Sounds of the Sixties The First Steps
1/10 Music from the Springfields, the Shadows, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. (R)

00:00 Sounds of the Sixties  1964-5: Getting in on the Act
2/10 Performances from the Seekers, the Byrds, the Rolling Stones and many more. (R)

00:25 ... Sings the Beatles
A journey through the classic and curious Beatles covers in the BBC archives. (R)

01:25 Arena  The Brian Epstein Story: The Sun Will Shine Tomorrow
Documentary examining the turbulent life and career of Beatles manager Brian Epstein. (R)

02:40 Arena  The Brian Epstein Story: Tomorrow Never Knows
By the mid 60s, Epstein was lured into the world of gambling, sex and drugs. (R)