Topic: Joe Brings the Hammer Down in Seattle!

My husband and I went to Joe's show in Seattle last night (9-22-07) at the Moore Theatre and were again blown away by Joe's awesome talent!  We never miss a show when Joe comes to Seattle.  We bought tickets in July for this event and sat in the front row on the right side (facing the stage) and didn't miss a thing.  OMG!!!  The power of Joe's awe-inspiring performance was backed by a trio of superb musicians, Bogie, Carmine, and Rick, all of whom were spot-on, which clearly shows that Joe knows how to put together a tight band.  Trust him, he knows what he's doing.  The change in band members was sheer genius by Joe.  Also, you know Joe is putting on an excellent show when even your hair and clothes vibrate throughout the show...now that's power and that's Joe at his best!  The man is a commanding presence on stage...and we enjoyed the ride!

We also very much enjoyed Joe playing his new hot-sounding Gigliotti GT (Joe Bonamassa Signature Series guitar by Patrick Gigliotti).  The light show was a bonus:  cool reflections from the lights shining on the Gigliotti, bouncing off the walls of the theatre.  (This is the same guitar that we had Patrick make for my husband; one exactly like Joe's and we picked it up last weekend.  It totally rocks and the tone is killer as you heard when Joe played his last night).

For those of you who attended the show, wasn't Bogie's drum solo mind-blowing?  Jeez!  Anyone who ever thought Bogie wasn't as good as his predecessor, you obviously haven't seen Bogie play in person lately.  There's a new sheriff in town.  Joe's got the right guy drumming for him, that's for sure, and Bogie's got his drums miked tight and right!

We sure hope Joe puts the North Sea Jazz festival on DVD.  We look forward to the videos that have been coming out every Friday and hope it will all be put on a DVD we can buy for Christmas.  :-)

Joe - thanks again for a superb show this year in Seattle and for signing our Sloe Gin CD for us.  We love the new CD; each one keeps getting better and better and we love them all.  We also can't wait to hear "Daily Cup of Joe" on Sirius!  You rock!

Lil' E and the Bad Kitty - Street Team Members
(aka Mel and Jeri-Beth)

"Joe Rocks!" -- You can quote us on that!
Lil' Eddie and The Baaaaad Kitty
WhoodooVoodooLounge 
JBLP #26 (aged)  cool

Re: Joe Brings the Hammer Down in Seattle!

Thanks bad kitty!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about regarding the light hitting the Gigliotti..It was a magic moment for me on the "old" one.....Glad to hear the boys are keeping the momentum going!!!   Cathy

Sounds like another great show and venue.  Thanks for giving us an update on the show.

Music is good for the Soul...

Debbie and I knew you'd be there!!!!!!!

Hope all is well with both you and Mel.

Randy

5 (edited by Stu Craig 2007-09-24 17:54:16)

Excellent show in a great venue. Here's some background on the Moore Theatre from an article that appeared in the Seattle Times newspaper back in 2001:

Built as part of the Moore Hotel in 1907, it's the oldest remaining theater in Seattle. A vaudeville house, it had a seatless second balcony, with an entrance in the alley for non-whites (The Negro Ensemble, a local vaudeville act, was a favorite at the theater.) There's a swimming pool in the basement (for hotel guests), which has gone unused for decades.

Constructed by James A. Moore — a flamboyant local developer who built many of the early homes in Seattle — it was part of John Considine's Orpheum Vaudeville Circuit until 1927, when the Orpheum Theater was built on the site now occupied by the Westin Hotel.

During the Depression, The Moore was an art house, featuring such noted stars as Sarah Bernhardt, Lily Langtry, Anna Pavlova and Marie Dressler. It was a movie theater for a short time, but for the past 50 years has been used almost exclusively for live performances.

What (for me) was the most striking part of the show was the overall feel of being at a big, professional show. Gone are the days of being stuffed in the corner of a neighborhood bar, and feeling as if I was one of the fortunate few to know about Joe. This was the full-meal deal; a full house of enthuastic fans, an opening act, a big sound, effective lighting and spots, and a performer with a strong and confident stage presence. It really was like being at a concert instead of being at a show.

I had intended to write down the set list for everyone but I did not...I was too busy taking it all in. Personal highlights for me included a very powerful and soaring Django, and an acoustic rendition of If Heartaches Were Nickels. Seattle even managed to bring Joe back for a 2nd encore.

The new band is tight and professional. Bogie's drumming was outstanding! Rick was spot on, as was Carmine. I wish I could have heard Carmine better...I could see his fingers blazing away, but unfortunately the indivdual notes didn't cut through the mix very well up in the balcony, so they all sort of blended together. I'm sure those on the main floor had a better mix, but it was still very, very good where I was sitting.

All in all a GREAT show!

Edited to add: I neglected to comment on Joe's vocals. They were outstanding. Very powerful yet soulful and clear. Probably the best vocal performance of Joe's that I have ever heard. The occasional harmonies from Rick were a nice touch as well. Something I hope to hear more of!

Stu Craig wrote:

Excellent show in a great venue. Here's some background on the Moore Theatre from an article that appeared in the Seattle Times newspaper back in 2001:

Built as part of the Moore Hotel in 1907, it's the oldest remaining theater in Seattle. A vaudeville house, it had a seatless second balcony, with an entrance in the alley for non-whites (The Negro Ensemble, a local vaudeville act, was a favorite at the theater.) There's a swimming pool in the basement (for hotel guests), which has gone unused for decades.

Constructed by James A. Moore — a flamboyant local developer who built many of the early homes in Seattle — it was part of John Considine's Orpheum Vaudeville Circuit until 1927, when the Orpheum Theater was built on the site now occupied by the Westin Hotel.

During the Depression, The Moore was an art house, featuring such noted stars as Sarah Bernhardt, Lily Langtry, Anna Pavlova and Marie Dressler. It was a movie theater for a short time, but for the past 50 years has been used almost exclusively for live performances.

What (for me) was the most striking part of the show was the overall feel of being at a big, professional show. Gone are the days of being stuffed in the corner of a neighborhood bar, and feeling as if I was one of the fortunate few to know about Joe. This was the full-meal deal; a full house of enthuastic fans, an opening act, a big sound, effective lighting and spots, and a performer with a strong and confident stage presence. It really was like being at a concert instead of being at a show.

I had intended to write down the set list for everyone but I did not...I was too busy taking it all in. Personal highlights for me included a very powerful and soaring Django, and an acoustic rendition of If Heartaches Were Nickels. Seattle even managed to bring Joe back for a 2nd encore.

The new band is tight and professional. Bogie's drumming was outstanding! Rick was spot on, as was Carmine. I wish I could have heard Carmine better...I could see his fingers blazing away, but unfortunately the indivdual notes didn't cut through the mix very well up in the balcony, so they all sort of blended together. I'm sure those on the main floor had a better mix, but it was still very, very good where I was sitting.

All in all a GREAT show!

Interesting write-up on the theatre, it is really nice to see these preserved.  I remember the Fox Theatre in Atlanta about to be demolished before the local community came in to save it.  Anyways, nice review on the show Stu. Have been waiting to hear from the resident Washingtonian!   Interesting thought about the step up from a show to a concert, makes a lot of sense.  Glad to hear that it was a great show!

Music is good for the Soul...

What a great night at the Moore theater! This was our first Bonamassa show and we weren't disappointed. My wife even talked about traveling to Spokane for another but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. This was definately an awe inspiring concert. The Moore theater is nice, but it was sure difficult to remain seated at times.  I don't know what to add that hasn't already been said. I did like that ZZ Top cover. What was that, Just Got Paid Today?

rpic wrote:

Debbie and I knew you'd be there!!!!!!!

Hope all is well with both you and Mel.

Randy

Randy & Debbie, so nice to hear from you! 

We really enjoyed your company at Jazz Alley last year and can't believe you remember us.  LOL  Randy, on Saturday Joe sang his heart out on your fav song, "Asking Around for You."  By the way, last Friday's video in Joe's Friday video email, was "Asking Around for You."  Do you get that email?  If not, the videos are located at www.jbonamassa.com/northsea.  A must see.  I've played the videos a ton of times (there are four available so far).  I sure hope Joe makes a DVD of the NorthSea Jazz Festival because it has a lot of cool footage and "soundage" (is that a word)?

How is your vintage Les Paul?  Mel wanted to know how you like it.  He was checking one out and then he got his new tabacco burst Gigliotti GT (like Joe's) and absolutely loves it.  I kid you not; the tone is killer!  I'll send you the link to Patrick's website so you can see Mel with it.  Mel's already there three times, even on the same page as Joe.  Yeah!

Since we saw you last, I turned 50 and Mel bought me a full set of DW drums (cymbals, double-base pedal, and the works) and a Hammond Organ (just like Rick Melick's in the NorthSea videos) for my 50th birthday.  How spoiled am I?  Very!  I've got a good man who I also spoil and appreciate.  He's unique and one-of-a-kind, the last, oh so last, of a dying breed!  Can't tell we've been together almost 30 years, can ya?  LOL  Rick Melick plays an awesome "Asking Around for You" with Joe.  Wish I could do my Fantom X8 that kind of justice.  I am, however, inspired to practice, practice, practice.

A friend of mine told me today that her father passed away last weekend.  I sent her the link to "Asking Around for You" and she loved it.  Perfect song in so many ways.

Take care and keep in touch.  We hope to see you at the next Joe show in Seattle...

Bad Kitty

WhoodooVoodooLounge 
JBLP #26 (aged)  cool

Stu,  Loved your message and the history lesson.  Glad you were there.  I remember the first time we met you...it was at Jazz Alley.  You were behind us in line (December 2005).  There was a guy and gal who were first in line (they had returned to see Joe again; had been there the day before), then us, then you.  We were so glad to have met you and learn that you were so involved in getting everyone acquainted with Joe.  Everyone needs to know about Joe and his music.  I love the "Have you told someone about Joe today? question"  I actually tell someone nearly every day about Joe's music (usually they ask me what CD I'm playing and then I've got 'em...a captive audience!  Gotta do our street team proud!  We love the fact that Joe is so humble, appreciates and thanks his fans, and takes the time (he's not at all jaded) to recognize his fans.  We hope to see you at the next show.  Wear a red rose or something okay?

Bad Kitty

Stu Craig wrote:

All in all a GREAT show!

Edited to add: I neglected to comment on Joe's vocals. They were outstanding. Very powerful yet soulful and clear. Probably the best vocal performance of Joe's that I have ever heard. The occasional harmonies from Rick were a nice touch as well. Something I hope to hear more of!

WhoodooVoodooLounge 
JBLP #26 (aged)  cool

Hey there Bad Kitty, of course we remember you, heck we we watched 3 JB show with you guys last December, although during the last one on Sat. I was getting just alittle, shall we say, DRUNK (that damn Thelonious Monk beer).
  Deb and I went to the San Fran. show last Thursday and I met Joe before the show and asked him sign a couple of photos from those Seattle shows and as soon as he saw them he knew right away where they were taken (thanks to the wreath behind th drum set). I also, like you, asked him to sign my copy of  "SLOE GIN" which he graciously did. I'm also heading to Santa Cruz this Thursday to see the band again. I'm going with a friend who saw Joe with us for the first time last Thurs. and now he is hooked (not only did I tell someone about Joe today but I took them to 2 shows in 1 week).
  To answer your questions. I do get the emails about the videos. "Asking Around For You" should have been a huge hit. My '58 reissue Paul is awesome. I was (still am actually) playing a Strat before I bought the Les Paul and it is soooo different, not only in sound but just feel. The neck on the Paul is like holding a baseball bat and I like that. And that Les Paul tone, SWEEEEEEET!!!
  When we got home from Seattle last year and you sent us those photos of you on Joes bus with Patrick Gigliotti the Gigliotti web site went straight to my favorites. I havent been there lately but I will visit it tonight to see Mel on it. To own a Gigliotti, someday, someday (they are beautiful). Gotta go but before I do Happy Birthday and have fun on your Hammond and drum set. Keep in touch via email.

Randy & Debbie
P.S.  Bogies drum solo was brillant in S.F. also.

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks bad kitty!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about regarding the light hitting the Gigliotti..It was a magic moment for me on the "old" one.....Glad to hear the boys are keeping the momentum going!!!   Cathy

Cathy, correct me if I'm wrong or anyone else for that matter, but I thought he WAS playin' the old one again since it's return.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

I saw him for the first time on Sunday in Portland....... Great show !!! The only disappointment I had was that he didn't play any slide guitar sad
Right from the opening song (Bridge To Better Days)I knew it was gonna rock !
The Aldan Theater holds about 650 and it was sold out on a Sunday night.
Can't wait to catch another show!
Rory

RknRory wrote:

I saw him for the first time on Sunday in Portland....... Great show !!! The only disappointment I had was that he didn't play any slide guitar sad
Right from the opening song (Bridge To Better Days)I knew it was gonna rock !
The Aldan Theater holds about 650 and it was sold out on a Sunday night.
Can't wait to catch another show!
Rory

Keep seein' Joe and you'll eventually see him play the slide guitar (we've seen him play the Chandler).  We actually bought a red Chandler (Joe has a black one, don't know if he also has a red one) after seeing Joe play one at Jazz Alley (Seattle) in 2005!  Gotta love the sound of the guitars he plays!

If you want to see Joe play slide, check out his "Live at Rockpalast DVD" (former band members in it but it is most excellent and is my fav DVD of his to-date).  He plays "The River" in that DVD and it is awesome played on the Chandler.

Bad Kitty

WhoodooVoodooLounge 
JBLP #26 (aged)  cool

rpic wrote:

Hey there Bad Kitty, of course we remember you, heck we we watched 3 JB show with you guys last December, although during the last one on Sat. I was getting just alittle, shall we say, DRUNK (that damn Thelonious Monk beer).
  Deb and I went to the San Fran. show last Thursday and I met Joe before the show and asked him sign a couple of photos from those Seattle shows and as soon as he saw them he knew right away where they were taken (thanks to the wreath behind th drum set). I also, like you, asked him to sign my copy of  "SLOE GIN" which he graciously did. I'm also heading to Santa Cruz this Thursday to see the band again. I'm going with a friend who saw Joe with us for the first time last Thurs. and now he is hooked (not only did I tell someone about Joe today but I took them to 2 shows in 1 week).
  To answer your questions. I do get the emails about the videos. "Asking Around For You" should have been a huge hit. My '58 reissue Paul is awesome. I was (still am actually) playing a Strat before I bought the Les Paul and it is soooo different, not only in sound but just feel. The neck on the Paul is like holding a baseball bat and I like that. And that Les Paul tone, SWEEEEEEET!!!
  When we got home from Seattle last year and you sent us those photos of you on Joes bus with Patrick Gigliotti the Gigliotti web site went straight to my favorites. I havent been there lately but I will visit it tonight to see Mel on it. To own a Gigliotti, someday, someday (they are beautiful). Gotta go but before I do Happy Birthday and have fun on your Hammond and drum set. Keep in touch via email.

Randy & Debbie
P.S.  Bogies drum solo was brillant in S.F. also.

We only got to see Joe once this year since he only had one show in Seattle.  :-(  History shows that we would have gone to more if he was in town longer!!!  Have a great time at the show on Thursday in SC.  Your friend is hooked for life now so you always have a show buddy to go see Joe!   Let us know when you get your new Gigliotti!  Mel got a fatback neck on his new Gigliotti and he loves it too.  It has a really good feel to it.  Yup, can't forget that wreath over Bogie!  Kind of like a crown, wouldn't you say?  LOL

Bad Kitty

WhoodooVoodooLounge 
JBLP #26 (aged)  cool