Re: Nimmo Brothers

They have done a number of Free covers, The Hunter, I'm a Mover, Wishing Well and Fire & Water come to mind. In the early days they were known as the Backwater Blues Band and played the Free Conventions in N.E England.

20 (edited by Blues Sissi 2012-04-21 04:09:27)

Waiting about 3 years to see the Nimmo Brothers live.
If there won't be a gig of Ryan McGarvey on 12 May ... it's time for the Nimmos live at Kwadendamme Blues Festival.

Another gig at The Green Hotel in Kinross on Saturday15th September.

Murray1903 wrote:

Another gig at The Green Hotel in Kinross on Saturday15th September.

Not surprised after the turn out last Saturday. I was going to offer to drive this time but I'm in Munich. Bollox.

Review tomorrow Ian from tonight's Derby gig please..................and a set list if you can. Cheers.

Another great gig from The Nimmos on Saturday night in Glasgow. I didn't think it could get any better than Kinross in April but it did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YNbGM2cXI

25 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-10-15 09:07:00)

What's better than a Nimmo with a guitar? Two of them! Caught Alan and Steve again on Friday night, this time at The Cluny in Newcastle and this time both ears were working - when I went in anyway.

A lot of the set was culled, as you'd expect, from the Brother to Brother album, but the set was absolutely spankin' ;
Still here Strummin', Shape I'm In, Coming Round Again all sitting with stuff from earlier albums like Movin' On and Comin' Your Way.

This time round, I was able to really enjoy the guitar work and I'm still amazed at the way Steve and Alan can switch back and forth  between each other during solo breaks in the blink of an eye. There's nothing to chose between them, though Steve does do most of the slide work. Just a truly great band, Steve and Alan feeding from an enthusiastic, crowded Cluny, Dave Raeburn giving it all on the drums, what more could you want? No Free cover in this set, instead the encores with Black Cat Bone, and boy, did that cat ever moan!

Three more dates in this run:-
Thu 18th Oct The Greystones Sheffield 
Fri 19th Oct    The Flowerpot Derby 
Sat 20th Oct  Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD36GNNUzbU   Black Cat Bone - Kinross April 2012

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

26 (edited by retlawv 2013-09-09 07:18:38)

I'm going to see them on 9 november in Belgium

27 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-09-09 04:43:14)

Darlington 6/9/13

Well, got “Nimmo-ed” again on Friday, the start of their Autumn tour; this time with an added “twist” of Mentulls.

Darlington R’n'B and the Nimmos generously allowed The Mentulls a 60 minute set, and Guisborough’s finest filled every minute. Looks like they’ve got studio time coming up, since they treated us to a brand new instrumental and 3 new songs as well as what’s becoming a bit of a showcase, Reflections and their cover of What’s It All About, by someone who’s name is on the tip of my tongue. Really strong set for their first time at Darlington R’n'B that held an audience of 150.

However, if The Mentulls are jumping to get at the “top table”, then The Nimmo Brothers are one of those bands who have access to the “private suite”. For this evening, and possibly the tour, they’re augmented by a certain Mr W Proctor behind the drums and they were up and running from the start. The blistering set covered just about everything, even going back to their days as Blackwater Blues Band. The 200 (maybe a few more) folk at Darlington were really up for it, giving Guisborough a run for their money on the dance floor. Again, the way Alan and Stevie work round each other, swapping vocals & lead guitars so effortlessly has to be seen (and heard). The encore where the guy reach round to play each other’s guitars, well maybe it is “borrowed” from The Hoax, but it’s still a great encore moment, though the song is enough itself to set your hair on fire. Alan Nimmo & Wayne Proctor have amassed a tour bus full of awards between them, but from this show, don’t overlook Stevie Nimmo guitar work or vocal prowess.

Had to chuckle - because the stage at DSRM was so small, Mentull’s young Nick had to double-up on Wayne P’s drum kit, and have to say, the youngster gave it a good rattle: I wonder if this was his audition to get on the King King “reserve” list?

Can’t recommend enough that if you get a chance to catch this tour, that you take it.

Sep19Thu - Kinross; Backstage @ Green Hotel Kinross(KY13 8AS)
Sep22Sun - Leicester; The Musician(LE1 2DE)
Sep26Thu - Blues In The City - Chelmsford; Chelmsford Social Club(CM2 6JG)
Sep27Fri / Sep28Sat - Cornucopia Festival - Driffield; Burton Agnes Hall(YO25 4NB)
Oct10Thu - Sheffield; The Greystones(S11 7BS)
Oct12Sat - Derby; The Flowerpot(DE1 3DZ)
Oct17Thu - Guisborough; RnB Club, Howlbeck Rd.
Oct18Fri - Newcastle upon Tyne; The Cluny & The Cluny 2(NE1 2PQ)
Oct19Sat - Glasgow; Oran Mor(G12 8QX)
Oct20Sun - Edinburgh; Voodoo Rooms(EH2 2AA)
Oct24Thu - London; The Borderline(W1D 4JB)

Oct27Sun - Frome Blues Festival 2013:
Climax Blues Band, Innes Sibun, The Nimmo Brothers, Jo Harman & Company
Frome; Cheese & Grain(BA11 1BE)

Nov20Wed - Edinburgh; Voodoo Rooms(EH2 2AA)

BansheeUK wrote:

Darlington 6/9/13

Well, got “Nimmo-ed” again on Friday, the start of their Autumn tour; this time with an added “twist” of Mentulls.

Darlington R’n'B and the Nimmos generously allowed The Mentulls a 60 minute set, and Guisborough’s finest filled every minute. Looks like they’ve got studio time coming up, since they treated us to a brand new instrumental and 3 new songs as well as what’s becoming a bit of a showcase, Reflections and their cover of What’s It All About, by someone who’s name is on the tip of my tongue. Really strong set for their first time at Darlington R’n'B that held an audience of 150.

However, if The Mentulls are jumping to get at the “top table”, then The Nimmo Brothers are one of those bands who have access to the “private suite”. For this evening, and possibly the tour, they’re augmented by a certain Mr W Proctor behind the drums and they were up and running from the start. The blistering set covered just about everything, even going back to their days as Blackwater Blues Band. The 200 (maybe a few more) folk at Darlington were really up for it, giving Guisborough a run for their money on the dance floor. Again, the way Alan and Stevie work round each other, swapping vocals & lead guitars so effortlessly has to be seen (and heard). The encore where the guy reach round to play each other’s guitars, well maybe it is “borrowed” from The Hoax, but it’s still a great encore moment, though the song is enough itself to set your hair on fire. Alan Nimmo & Wayne Proctor have amassed a tour bus full of awards between them, but from this show, don’t overlook Stevie Nimmo guitar work or vocal prowess.

Had to chuckle - because the stage at DSRM was so small, Mentull’s young Nick had to double-up on Wayne P’s drum kit, and have to say, the youngster gave it a good rattle: I wonder if this was his audition to get on the King King “reserve” list?

Can’t recommend enough that if you get a chance to catch this tour, that you take it.

Sep19Thu - Kinross; Backstage @ Green Hotel Kinross(KY13 8AS)
Sep22Sun - Leicester; The Musician(LE1 2DE)
Sep26Thu - Blues In The City - Chelmsford; Chelmsford Social Club(CM2 6JG)
Sep27Fri / Sep28Sat - Cornucopia Festival - Driffield; Burton Agnes Hall(YO25 4NB)
Oct10Thu - Sheffield; The Greystones(S11 7BS)
Oct12Sat - Derby; The Flowerpot(DE1 3DZ)
Oct17Thu - Guisborough; RnB Club, Howlbeck Rd.
Oct18Fri - Newcastle upon Tyne; The Cluny & The Cluny 2(NE1 2PQ)
Oct19Sat - Glasgow; Oran Mor(G12 8QX)
Oct20Sun - Edinburgh; Voodoo Rooms(EH2 2AA)
Oct24Thu - London; The Borderline(W1D 4JB)

Oct27Sun - Frome Blues Festival 2013:
Climax Blues Band, Innes Sibun, The Nimmo Brothers, Jo Harman & Company
Frome; Cheese & Grain(BA11 1BE)

Nov20Wed - Edinburgh; Voodoo Rooms(EH2 2AA)

Also playing at the stroud blues festival on 26th, same artists as the 27th but Albany Down as well.

SO much talent in one family. Vocals to melt the coldest of hearts! Guitar tone all the way! Someday! sigh   Wayne Proctor earned his drummer of the year award! I guess he needed to make lots of money to pay for his wedding smile

cathysiler wrote:

SO much talent in one family. Vocals to melt the coldest of hearts! Guitar tone all the way! Someday! sigh   Wayne Proctor earned his drummer of the year award! I guess he needed to make lots of money to pay for his wedding smile

At first I thought you were referring to The Mentulls - brothers Andrew & Jamie Pipe.

Guisboro' NY, 7/6/14

No other way to say it - got well and truly "Nimmo-ed" again at the week-end. Stevie & Alan with Matt & Wayne were on absolute top form at a sold-out Guisborough on Saturday night. From the moment they took the stage, they lit up like Thermite and blazed away for a good hundred minutes of probably the best performance I've seen this year; bar none.

So hard to pick any individual stand-out moment, Stevie & Alan have contrasting styles yet combine so seamlessly. Great dedication to Walter Trout of the Still Here Strumming number from Brother To Brother that just tore the rule book up. While Waiting For My Heart To Fall weeped every ounce out the guitars. The guys were clearly on an "end of tour" high and firing on all 8 cylinders. Black Cat Bone as ever, closed the main set and Stevie & Alan not only tore up the rule book again, but stomped all over it and kicked it out the window. Never mind the storms that were predicted for outside that night, there was one going on inside and we were loving every minute of it.

Don't think we were quite prepared for the encore though, they nicked classic from another "little" twin-guitar band that used to be popular in these parts and put their own stamp on Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City and has Guisborough singing it's heart out.

I may only have seen the Nimmo Brothers a handful of times and each time has been a fantastic evening, but this gig was just off the scale. Hang on to your socks next year, when they'll be celebrating an incredible 20years together.

Catch them in Aberdeen at the Tunnels on Thursday, 11 September smile

I am surprised that no one has reported from their current UK tour. This will be their last one together for a while as they will concentrate on other projects.

I am proud to announce that our Aberdeen gig on 2 October is SOLD OUT.

34 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-09-25 07:03:34)

Kenny wrote:

I am surprised that no one has reported from their current UK tour. This will be their last one together for a while as they will concentrate on other projects.

I am proud to announce that our Aberdeen gig on 2 October is SOLD OUT.

Have a suspicion that the Guisborough gig (Oct 15th) has been sold-out since early August when Kath was taking last orders; there may be some returns available, but don't count on it.

Edit - word is that the Edinburgh date has now sold out too....

In light of this, does anyone know if there's any intention to record a show....?

I have been gathering all of the albums of these guys that i can find....I really like them alot.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

What a show Thursday night amazing !!!