Topic: lp verses strat

getting some great tones out of that les paul but kind of miss that strat you were packing ,sure throws out some nice blues tones have you tried your strat with your new set-up. by the way coming to richmond to see you play missed you when you played hampton got the tickets this time

Re: lp verses strat

I believe Joe uses a strat for Django- sounds pretty good too if you ask me!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

kwsjb1238 wrote:

I believe Joe uses a strat for Django- sounds pretty good too if you ask me!

Yes, that's correct Scott. The Strat sounds phenomenal through the new setup. Joe played Django at the two shows I saw this past weekend and it was a personal highlight for me both times.

The Les Paul vs. Strat thing haunts me! The guitar player in my 1st "Garage Band" played a SG and I loved the tone he got...no effects, just cranked through a Twin Reverb. I played with a lot of different Gibson guys in those days and always preferred that fat warm tone. I also played with some Fender guys but the sound always felt empty in comparison.

Years later I stumble across Joe and became a Strat convet! There seemed to be so many more personalities to a Strat, and the music (to me) felt more three-dimensional and textured. It was the first time I heard someone with a "Full" Strat tone, and I loved it.

So now, after Joe converted me from a Les Paul tone lover to a Strat tone lover, he's jumped ship on me and is favoring his Gibsons. It's funny. Oh well...it's all good!

Lee wrote:

...at the two shows I saw this past weekend...

Thanks for rubbing it in smile

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

I'm not a player but this is something I've been asking myself. I've really tried to pay attention to the guitar I'm hearing. I think the tone Stu describes from Gibsons, warm and full bodied, is what resonates in me the most. That's not to say I don't like the tone of a Strat, because I do. Joe has said that the tone IS all about the guitar, while others argue it's the amp, etc. I'm adding a vote for the Gigliotti also. It seems to have a full bodied sound as well.....Thanks for this thread and I look forward to reading the opinions of players...Cathy

cathysiler wrote:

I'm not a player but this is something I've been asking myself. I've really tried to pay attention to the guitar I'm hearing. I think the tone Stu describes from Gibsons, warm and full bodied, is what resonates in me the most. That's not to say I don't like the tone of a Strat, because I do. Joe has said that the tone IS all about the guitar, while others argue it's the amp, etc. I'm adding a vote for the Gigliotti also. It seems to have a full bodied sound as well.....Thanks for this thread and I look forward to reading the opinions of players...Cathy

The Gigliotti is an EXCELLENT bridge between the LP and Strat!

kwsjb1238 wrote:
Lee wrote:

Sorry Scott. Didn't mean to. I've been very lucky, no doubt.

I'm glad he switched to the LP's.  I didn't like all the pedal tones he used to "fill up" the strats.  I like thick, and warm.  I played strats for a long time and spent a lot of money trying to get it thick.  Then I plugged in an LP, that's all she wrote for me.  Guitar to amp, nothing lost.

Tone is ALL in the physics...nothing more, nothing less...How it's done Physics-ally is another matter altogether though. wink

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Lee wrote:
kwsjb1238 wrote:
Lee wrote:

Sorry Scott. Didn't mean to. I've been very lucky, no doubt.

haha I was just kidding- you've been a lucky man indeed!

Hey Everybody,
        I switched to the Les Paul 2 years ago for two reasons..   
1. The music took me there were I kept grabbing for it unknowingly and before you know it Im playing one 90% of the time.

2. I preface this with that I love the music and playing of Stevie Ray Vaughn..  But it seemed that I couldnt play a note without a comparison to SRV.  Its great and Im very honored.  But I used to play a Rachmaninoff piece in my shows and people still said it sounded SRV playing a violin.  I was like this is nuts.  So I switched to the most radical 180 degree change I could think off.  The Gibson Les Paul.

Now I found a home with a Les Paul and have almost forgotten my time on a strat.  Two great guitars that helped shape music history.  Buts its a personal taste thing.  Can discuss it til the end of time.

Joe Bonamassa

13 (edited by gsj 2007-09-16 14:02:05)

Joe, where do you think the Gigliotti sits tonally with regard to the Strat and Les Paul? I had to put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my Strat to help give it a little more balls when required. Likewise, my Nik Huber Dolphin has two humbuckers that are coil-tapped to give it a little less balls when required. Horses for courses I guess.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

get coil tapping for your humbuckers on your LP... similar to Jimmy Pages LP setup.

The volume controls push/pull to go from humbucker to single coil
the tone controls push/pull in phase and out of phase.

I got that on my '73 LP Custom

With both coils tapped and one out of phase, it spanks out a KILLER "C'mon & Take a Free Ride"
The phase thing really puts a Tele like jangle on the tone. In phase it sounds like a warm strat.

I really like it.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

15 (edited by gsj 2007-09-19 16:54:09)

Has to be push/push pots every time. Easier to use than push/pull when you're gigging and have a little sweat on your hands.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

get coil tapping for your humbuckers on your LP... similar to Jimmy Pages LP setup.

The volume controls push/pull to go from humbucker to single coil
the tone controls push/pull in phase and out of phase.

I got that on my '73 LP Custom

With both coils tapped and one out of phase, it spanks out a KILLER "C'mon & Take a Free Ride"
The phase thing really puts a Tele like jangle on the tone. In phase it sounds like a warm strat.

I really like it.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young