Re: The Scottish Blues Compilation Series: Jock's Juke Joint

hi  iam lizzy from new york .Came accross jocks juke joint by complete accident on a fb bluespage , and on kool breeze radio show, heard a awsome track by the bel airs  you cant hang written by pete johns  and i must say its convinced me to buy the cd the lyrics were a scream hahaha   laura may sure dose have a silky voice  , and the guitar wow ! lovely tone n playing along with those fab keys hmmmmm also heard laura may and bel airs band on kool breeze  doin an ole memphis minnie song i adore ,kissing in the dark  loooved it so much that guitar tone again <3 can anyone point me in the direction to buy this bands cd or what ever they got on offer would love to hear more and lewis hamilton  hes awsome !!  and reaally enjoyed school for blues that was fantastic  funny i never even thought scotland had this scene but laura may i love that gal  n her guitar sound soo much  i see by posts theres another 2 cds  ill need to check amazon again and i love alan nimo  bein hearin loads of him on kool breeze its the best show   love lizzy xoxoxox

Hi Lizzy,
Yeah - do check out Lewis Hamilton; super player and only 19. Caught him 4 times now and always impresses.

Thing about the JJJ compilations; I can't find one track I skip over when playing the discs - how many compilations can you say the same of? And a 3rd Volume to come....must be something good in the water (whiskey?).

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Hi Lizzy, you can hear Laura-May's recent recordings here: http://www.reverbnation.com/lauramaysbluerays

Please check out the second volume which features both Lewis Hamilton and Alan Nimmo. The third volume is in the works. smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Lizzy,
....must be something good in the water (whiskey?).

I'm sure you mean whisky, Mike. smile You don't want upset the Jocks amongst us. big_smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Lizzy,

I'm sure you mean whisky, Mike. smile You don't want upset the Jocks amongst us. big_smile

You're my beshtest mate *hic*

BansheeUK wrote:
Wooders wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Lizzy,

You're my beshtest mate *hic*

Speaking of which, the first song on Jock's Juke Joint Vol 3 is called Whisky Boogie. You can hear it, and several of the other songs on this podcast: (not the full album yet though): http://www.blackonblues.com/

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

43 (edited by Greenose 2013-04-19 07:24:29)

Here's the track listing for volume 3. It includes two bands fronted by Scots in the USA, one in Finland, a band with two Scots based in the north of England, one Englishman in Edinburgh and the rest are known on the Scottish scene:

1.    Lewis Hamilton – Whisky Boogie
2.    Safehouse: Coming Alive
3.    The Blues Devils – Feel Like Jumpin’
4.    Linda Jaxson - Light in Your Eyes
5.    The Stumble - Lie To Me
6.    Al Hughes - Giving the Blues a Try
7.    Leona Rae - Don't Put Me Down
8.    GT's Boos Band – What I’m Wishing
9.    The Shiverin' Sheiks - Strange Things Happening Every Day 
10.    Callum Ingram – Game
11.    Main Street Blues – Lost Without You
12.    The Afghan Hounds - Electric Karma Blues
13.    Robbie Hill & The Blue 62's – Bad Woman
14.    Brian Carpy - Hangin'
15.    Souled Out Blues - Shine Don't Burn
16.    John Hunt – She’s Smart
17.    Red Pine Timber Co – Sweet Seville
18.    Harmonica Lewinsky - Through With Me

Your first time to get a copy will be the Thornhill Music Festival taking place on 3 - 5 May where 4 of the above acts will appear.

well in usa its whiskey sorry banshee xxx

Greenose wrote:

Here's the track listing for volume 3. It includes two bands fronted by Scots in the USA, one in Finland, a band with two Scots based in the north of England, one Englishman in Edinburgh and the rest are known on the Scottish scene:

1.    Lewis Hamilton – Whisky Boogie
2.    Safehouse: Coming Alive
3.    The Blues Devils – Feel Like Jumpin’
4.    Linda Jaxson - Light in Your Eyes
5.    The Stumble - Lie To Me
6.    Al Hughes - Giving the Blues a Try
7.    Leona Rae - Don't Put Me Down
8.    GT's Boos Band – What I’m Wishing
9.    The Shiverin' Sheiks - Strange Things Happening Every Day 
10.    Callum Ingram – Game
11.    Main Street Blues – Lost Without You
12.    The Afghan Hounds - Electric Karma Blues
13.    Robbie Hill & The Blue 62's – Bad Woman
14.    Brian Carpy - Hangin'
15.    Souled Out Blues - Shine Don't Burn
16.    John Hunt – She’s Smart
17.    Red Pine Timber Co – Sweet Seville
18.    Harmonica Lewinsky - Through With Me

Your first time to get a copy will be the Thornhill Music Festival taking place on 3 - 5 May where 4 of the above acts will appear.

46 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-04-24 03:35:41)

lizzy wrote:

well in usa its whiskey sorry banshee xxx

Truth be known - I'm actually more partial to Irish........

(6)

I'm very pleased to announce that Jock's Juke Joint Volume 2 is one of 7 nominees in the British Blues Awards best album of 2012.
Voting takes place between 8 May and 30 June.

The other nominees were:
Ian Siegal and the Mississippi Mudbloods - Candy Store Kid
Bex Marshall- House of Mercy
Ron Sayer- Better Side
BabaJack - Rooster
Matt Taylor and the Motives - The Motives
Jon Amor Blues Group - Villa Del Vibro

When you consider the other nominees and that many fine albums have not been nominated to do this with no marketing budget involved is some achievement.

If you've not yet bought a copy, now might be a good time to place your order. You can get them through Amazon from me worldwide distribution for £9.98 and volume 1 is also on sale on a postage saving deal:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABF3H7C

Volume 3 will also shortly be available.

Congratulations on that Duncan; some very worthy company there, and for a “cottage-industry” effort all the more creditable.

Thanks Mike, any thing to bring further interest to the project is welcomed.

Volume 3 is back from the manufacturers and will be on sale at the Thornhill Music Festival, near Dumfries this weekend, and at the Ryan McGarvey show in Edinburgh this evening.
I'll also be on the Rock Show on Alive Fm www.aliveradio.net talking about the series tonight - 7-9pm GMT.

50 (edited by Greenose 2013-05-30 06:48:22)

We have a ladies night at the Counting House Edinburgh tonight - 6 female fronted acts for £5 from 7pm.

Here's a review of volume 3 just in:

"Of the 2 previous releases I wrote, "Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2" was hands down, the best 2 compilation CD's I have ever heard... It is all here folks and believe me, once you give Vol. 1 & 2 a listen, you will be anxiously waiting for Vol. 3, as I certainly am". Well folks Vol. 3 is now out and I could not be more happier to have the complete trilogy of this amazing collection of Contemporary Blues From Scotland.

As with the 2nd CD, "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3" also contains 18 great Tracks, featuring not only artists that are currently based in Scotland, but also a few that have emanated from Scotland and are now based elsewhere, which included Chicago based, Brian Carpy, New York based Calum Ingram, and Robbie Hill, now based in Finland.

In the tradition of Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2", Vol. 3, also contained a fabulous booklet outlining a little bit of history about all the bands and artists on this release.

Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3", as with the previous releases, also brings us a wonderful musically varied experience, with a fantastic amount of styles, all presented to us in a wonderfully logical manner, which starts the ball rolling with "Whisky Boogie", a song off of the upcoming 3rd album by family based power trio band, Lewis Hamilton. Formed in 2010, Lewis Hamilton have been become one of the fastest rising bands on the UK circuit, recently winning "Best Blues Recording" at the 2012 Scottish New Music Awards, for their previous release, "Gambling Machine". Lewis Hamilton, the Singer and Guitarist in the Band, also produced the 3 CD Compilation via Lewis Hamilton Music.

Those of you whom like your Blues with a Rock edge will certainly enjoy "Coming Alive" by Safehouse, "Don't Put Me Down" by Leona Rae, and "Electric Karma Blues" by The Afghan Hounds, which was my favorite Blues Rockin' tune on "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3".

Acoustic Blues lovers will enjoy the solo acoustic set by Lights Out By Nine singer Al Hughes called "Giving The Blues A Try". The music of Al Hughes conjures up a lot of moods for which gentle and wistful was the presentation for this little gem.

Another great acoustic solo set, on this compilation, was John Hunt singing "She's Smart". Taking the tradition of Blues artist to the max, John Hunt even builds his own Guitars. "She's Smart", comes across in the style of Hill Country Blues. A really nice tune, for which the audience gives a good clap at the end of this live song.

Another one of my favorite Tracks, on "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3", was "Sweet Saville", by the Red Pine Timber Company. Red Pine Timber Company music is described as "American Country with a strong Celtic influence". A really nice song for which Mandolin and Harmonizing took center stage.

"Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3" closes this brilliant collection of songs with another favorite of mine called "Through With Me" by Harmonica Lewinsky. Celebrating 10 years together in 2013, this four piece band play a great mixture of Blues and R&B and combine their sets with "well loved standards and cleverly written originals". Solid singing, Solid Harmonica, Solid Bass & Drums, topped off with Solid Searing Guitar, dominate this great closer.

Those that have already had the good fortune to listen to Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 3" and the previous 2 releases, will no doubt be left with the feeling that this amazing trilogy of music was nothing less than a true labor of love.

As with Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2", Vol. 3 also gets my highest rating of 5*****, as it is at the very least equal to and may just be better than the 2 previous releases. What a absolutely great collection of CD's for any lover of Contemporary Blues and Beyond".

Review by John Vermilyea (Blues Underground Network)
http://www.bluesundergroundnetwork.com/

Available on Amazon and shortly itunes too!

3 songs from Jock's Juke Joint Vol 3 were aired on Paul Jones' show on BBC radio 2 tonight.

If you missed it, catch the show here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02x90hz

And another review of the album for you:

Various Artistes – Jock’s Juke Joint
Contemporary Blues from Scotland Vol 3
Lewis Hamilton Music LHMSBC32012
Not that any were needed, but the eighteen largely original compositions of this album provide further testament to the impressive strength of the current blues scene in Scotland. The album is also presented as a tribute to Laurie Hamilton and to ‘Big George’ Ross Watt.
The collection opens in spirited fashion with “Whisky Boogie” from The Lewis Hamilton Band, featuring Lyndon Anderson on harmonica. “Coming Alive” is driven along by Safehouse with Chris Peebles on gritty vocals and the relentless pace is continued by The Blue Devils with “Feel Like Jumpin’”. In contrast, “Light In Your Eyes” is a slow bluesy ballad with Linda Jaxson’s fine vocals beautifully complemented by some dreamy sax from Deke McGee. The Stumble than contribute a typically catchy number in the shape of “Lie To Me”, which is followed by “Giving The Blues A Try”, an acoustic gem with Al Hughes providing excellent vocals and some smooth guitar work.
“Don’t Put me Down” showcases the considerable vocal talent of Leona Rae, enhanced by some superb guitar playing from Daniel Drever while “What I’m Wishing” is a slow blues expertly delivered by GT’s Boos Band. The Shiverin’ Sheiks bring a feel-good factor to the party with “Strange Things Happening Every Day” before Calum Ingram presents his somewhat quirky “Game” with his distinctive, gritty vocals and electric cello. The upbeat shuffle “Lost Without You” by Main Street Blues features some fine guitar and keyboard enhancement and “Electric Karma Blues” from The Afghan Hounds has a hard-driven funky feel to it.
“Bad Woman” from The Blue 62’s has more than a hint of Peter Green about it and features some superb guitar work from Robbie Hill and “Hangin’” bounces along, providing more guitar and keyboard artistry from Brian Carpy and Chis Foreman respectively. The country blues trio “Souled Out Blues” deliver the bluesy ballad “Shine Don’t Burn” with Shirley Wishart on vocals and the acoustic mode is continued with “She’s Smart”, John Hunt producing great vocals and guitar accompaniment. Country blues is reintroduced by Red Pine Timber Company with “Sweet Saville”, which benefits from a tasty helping of sax from Felix The SaxCat, before the album is concluded with the excellent foot-tapper “Through With Me” from Harmonica Lewinsky.
Like the previous two albums in the series, this third volume provides an enjoyable mixture of styles from an impressive array of musicians and brings great credit on Scotland for its nurturing and development of blues-related music.
LIONEL ROSS

Well, got my copy of JJJ3-D lol  last night, and the short of it is, Duncan, Lewis & Nick et al are batting 3 of 3; it’s another winner. There’s a seemingly bottomless reservoir of quality bands in Scotland, the depth and range only matched by the diversity displayed here.

Kicking off with a new song from Lewis Hamilton, very much with that raw slide and spirit of Rory Gallagher without slavish imitation; then things get pumped up by Safehouse, with a Humble Pie style vibe. Changing styles, Blues Devils lay down some old-school jump blues before a goose bump-on-goose bump moment from Linda Jaxson; like being dumped at 2am on a wet night in the backstreets of Glasgow.

Then The Stumble pick it up as only they can, with a Dr.Feelgood type before a gem of an acoustic number from Al Hughes and a driving number from Leona Rae and the contrasting, restraint of GT’s Boos Band and the rock-a-billy doo-wop of Shiverin’ Sheiks.

Calum Ingram’s cello, yes cello led track doesn’t so much push the envelope as kick it right in the gusset; don’t think of it as Julian Lloyd Webber, more Martin McCarrick in The Banshees or Therapy? Back on more familiar ground, Main Street Blues swings along before the hell-on-8 legs that is The Afghan Hounds threaten to blow your speakers. Robbie Hill’s smooth vocals over the bell-like tone of his guitar give way to a more 50s Les Paul vibe of ex-pat Brian Carpy.

Souled Out Blues surprisingly have a more “country” than “soul” feel but its delivered with a grass-roots integrity that so many only dream of. Keeping it rustic and rootsy, back to an acoustic take from John Hunt - so rustic he builds his own guitars, often from unlikely sources. This last lap takes us to Red Pine Timber Company, the missing link between Blues Grass and Celtic folk and finally, more traditional, but certainly not trite, Harmonica Lewinsky bring this excursion into undiscovered Scottish Blues to a rousing close.

Pick a favourite, well, I could single out 2 or 3, but odds are tomorrow they’d be entirely different. Since the series of CDs started, some of the bands have looked south of the border, and have made inroads, but I can say this, if I were north of the border, whether in Aberfeldy or Upper Largo, and one of these bands were playing - I’d be hangin’ round.

This compilation is dedicated to the memories of the recently lost Laurie Hamilton and (Big) George Ross Watt. They must be resting easy knowing that not only is their legacy for great music being continued, but that bands are pushing the boundaries and exploring new avenues of expression.

53 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-11-27 04:48:52)

Bloody 'ell - this took some digging out.....

Seems like the ol' place has been having some renovation work done, new flooring, re-wiring, lick of paint etc.... Word is, after a five year pause, there's a Jock's Juke Joint 4 due out in a couple of weeks.... Same format etc, so I guess it's the same team behind it, Duncan (Greenose), Nick & Lewis (Hamilton)…

Come guys - the first 3 were really good, so blow your trumpets will ya.....

Launched at Edinburgh Blues club Sat 24th Nov. You should be able to get one from any of the bands involved,  or at a Edinburgh Blues gig - failing that, put Jock's Juke Joint Vol 4 in eBay, and you'll hit on....

Well then; 5 years down the line and Jock’s Juke Joint is back and open for business. No management change, Duncan Beattie, Nick Hamilton & Lewis Hamilton still taking care of business and the business is still putting out there, the best of “underground” Scottish Blues. On the face of it, a tough act to follow after 3 superb previous volumes, but you know, the wait has played dividends as not only are the bands represented here fresh and exciting sounding to new ears but it also shows how the scene in Scotland has developed and taken on and in the newer influences from sassenachs south of the border as well as from across the Atlantic. On the flip side though. It’s also good to see the cross-pollination between bands that has occurred in the intervening years, especially members from GT Boos Band and the mighty Blues ‘n’ Trouble, but sadly no sign of anyone from previous alumni Albany Down, who since exposure on the 1st JJJ burned brightly the disappeared.

So, who are the movers & groovers for 2018? Kicking things off are scene veteran Andy Gunn who’s contribution just reeks of honking guitar & harp in a smoky back room; vintage stuff. Picking up the pace come the driving, razor sharp, newer band,  Redfish. Swinging into Aretha style soul with machine-gun delivery vocals come Melisa Kelly & The Smokin Crows (possible nod to Maggie Bell in the band name there…?). Another exciting new band with a smooth, country-ish sound, Simon Kennedy Band, worth a listen. Then, the familiar and highly recommended Stoney Broke, back to back with Wily Bo Walker, Scotland’s answer to Leonard Cohen for storytelling. One to really loosen the ear-wax is the big voice of the Lynsey Dolan Band. By contrast, Al Brown & The Blues Lighters get back to more guitar-based blues with a very smooth, hypnotic number. Another Scottish Blues veteran, Mike Bowden & the A917 Band take things back to a more rootsy vibe. Coming on strong, like Brenda Lee singing swing is Charlotte Marshall & the 45s and just to show that it’s not the women who have the big voices, Andrew Robert Eustace manages to shake the window-glass. Apparently more known for re-interpretations, Used Blues display a jumping, harp led track. Another cracking new band, taking the pattern from LaVendore Rogue and running with it, Five Grain Whisky give a storming track. but to add contrast, a sublime, mellow track from vocalist Liz Jones & Broken Windows follows. The next three bands are relative newcomers,  but each take the Blues envelope into different areas, rock based Chasin’ The Train reminiscent of (80s/90s)Cinderella; a darker, fuzzed based number from Black Cat Bone and then a psychedelic edged Full Fat.. Then topping things out, a beautiful, evocative instrumental from Neil Warden, with hints of Wille & the Bandits.

Once again, a cracking compilation showing the depth & diversity of grass-roots bands in Scotland, any of the bands chosen you’d be a fool to walk past a venue if they were playing. How Duncan does this,I don’t know, but once again 18 great tracks, not one “filler” and not one you’d skip on playback. Credit too for Lewis Hamilton for his skilled and balanced mastering work, giving each track the best possible polish and for being modest enough not to sneak in a song of his own (though still one of Scotland’s best in my book).

Now then, devil’s advocate, my pick of the best…. as I’ve said earlier, I wouldn’t walk past any decent looking venue playing host to any of these bands, but, if I had word they were playing one of my frequent watering holes as Stoney Broke and Wily Bo Walker already have, then I’d make a special point of trying to catch Andrew Robert Eustace, Liz Jones & Broken Windows and Five Grain Whisky.

Once again, congrats to JJJ Management team for another fine CD.