1 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2016-10-09 11:10:56)

Topic: On this day in MAY Bonahistory (& the starting of the BH Threads)

(See #91 for May's list smile )

5/21/12 - a year ago today - David Letterman appearance. "Bonamonster!"

Didn't see Bonahistory as a past topic...didn't want to duplicate.  Maybe someday we can fill up each day of the year. smile

(Sorry...getting late on the east coast.)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Re: On this day in MAY Bonahistory (& the starting of the BH Threads)

H!Great idea.Maybe you can become the bonahistorian here!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Cool show that night. I would love to have it on DVD. I though Joe and Sandy nailed it that night.

Anthony

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

5/21/12 David Letterman appearance
5/21/10 Tavastin Helsinki
5/21/09 Kaufleuten Zurich

5/22/12 Driving Towards The Daylight US Release
5/22/12 Providence RI
5/22/10 Helsinki Finland

I better give my two weeks notice....

I appreciate the effort. Better keep your day job. The pay here is not so hot. lol

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

5 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2013-05-22 13:35:45)

big_smile

90-100 hour work weeks will start for me for the next few months (I grow apples/peaches/wine grapes for a living - stop laughing everyone)...so I can see this project falling apart soon.

It would be interesting to look at once each day of the year is filled with events. (found only one for tomorrow 5/23 - w/ a short funny UTube clip - heck, might as well edit that one in now.) (Yes, I can see this list will turn into a mess soon.)

(I guess best to edit the one post (currrently the 3rd post) as it went along...so it doesn't turn into a million pages...but then would only show up as Active if someone posted a comment.  I guess best thing would to be a Sticky (?)...but way to early in the going for that. smile)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

6 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2013-05-22 15:45:55)

Thanks Jane, means a lot coming from a Forum charter member such as yourself (and RickB and gary).

Don't know why I remembered the Letterman date...but thought I'd post it when the yr anniversary came up.  Then thought hmmm what if....

Thought of a posting something each day (starting with Letterman date moving forward), but that may get long for the forum (?), and the list wouldn't compile unless repeated each time with the NEW post.  (If I'm thinking right.)

I imagine most will be tour shows on that date, which would b impressive to see all completely listed someday, but early history (and tour dates) may be tough with simple net searches, and would probably need "inside" help.  Unique tidbits would be great.  I did find a neat 3 min concert clip for tomorrow's (5/23) date (already listed above in #3.)

You can reply w/ any events and I'll cut and paste into Post 3 list...or PM'em to me. 

We'll keep thinking what is the cleanest/easiest way.  Like I mentioned in post 6, I picked the wrong time of year (work schedule wise) to do this, but...as they say...day at a time. smile

7 (edited by JBFan4Life 2013-05-22 19:19:02)

I think I get the idea...are we trying to cover "everything Joe" that might have occurred, over the years, on each given calendar date, as they pass?

Seems that would get unwieldy, in a hurry.  Each day's "entry" will need to start with everything anyone can come up with.  Joe's been touring for a long time, and released many solo albums and side projects, along the way.

Back to RoadcaseBoy's thought that this is going to get long, both in terms of any given day, and trying to collect all the days in a year, as this proceeds....

What would really be needed is a calendar function, I think.  And this forum doesn't have one, right?

Seems like the criteria for what's being recorded on any given day needs to be sorted out:

--  Prior tour stops, going how far back?  (As far as anyone can recall, or find somehow?)
--  Album/DVD releases?  (That would be easy to get from something like Wikipedia, maybe....)
--  TV appearances?  Letterman the most recent, but regulars here will know of many other examples, some of which have made it to YouTube.  (EG.  Jane Pauley, Bloodline, local or syndicated national show appearances, etc.)
--  Other?

Could be fun, but needs some sorting out of the goal(s), I think.

EDIT:  Also sounds like RoadcaseBoy has realized he can't function as a "clearinghouse" (topic manager) for updates.

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

8 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2013-05-22 20:10:19)

Thanks for the comments JBF4L...you hit the nail on the head.

This morning I took my calender off the wall and wrote in what I listed above for the last three days (figuring if I get time on a late Sunday night), I'd try to blast thru the dates of the coming week, see what I could find, jot them on my calender, then edit the original post with each date's entry.

This was all thought out in 10 seconds as you can see. smile

I guess the (my) goal (thought) would be to have the month and day #, then list the year Joe performed, dropped an album, (bought a guitar smile ) on that month/day #. 

Ideally, would be great to visually see the progression, how # of show dates increased each year, venues changed - (showing fan base increasing....(New Orleans Superdome 7/14/ 2016 here we come)  (and how guitar collection changed smile). Guess don't want too much info making it cumbersome for posters/readers. 

Unique tidbits would be the best....but difficult to gather...then again the Forum is filled many knowlegable members on Bonahistory.)

Can let it simmer for awhile.

PS: JBF4L....your Benjamin Hoff signature hit the nail on the head also...on how this could go. smile

How about the George Lopez show?
The dates when new band members first played live (Mark, Bogie, Rick, Carmine, Tal)?
The final shows for former band members (10-25-2005 is one)?
The queen mother of all shows on 5-4-2009?
Other DVD show dates...ANDY, Beacon, Rockpalast, Vienna, soon to be released London shows?
Magazine covers...these could be just the month & year?
Special guests that have appeared with Joe?...wow, there are sooooo many!
Special guest appearances Joe has made?
Crossroads?
Unique first shows, i.e. Joe plays Mumbai? Etc.

When I get a chance, I can try to track some of these down.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

10 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2013-05-23 09:26:53)

(To Bill S's Quote:  How about the George Lopez show? et al....)

All great suggestions, and the kind of events that would be great to see when all compiled.

I think I have the correct dates for Lopez (3/10/10), Conan - Bloodline with Smokin Joe "Bonabosso" 10/17/94, and L.A. Live (ABC) - Bloodline w/ Joe ("My bologna has a first name", says the host sad) as 6/5/94 all jotted down. smile

Figured I'd post them when that calender date hit.

But if this thing does gel, we will need to collect and store (i.e. jot on my paper calender smile) any date info as all sources dig them up...not to be posted on the ongoing list until that date hits (??), or just post em as they come and fill up the 365 holes over time.

What's that I see out my window?  Looks like some Forum members coming over the hills with torches....they don't look very happy.

Maybe a host site with an editable spreadsheet type calendar with the link here would be more workable?
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

12 (edited by JBFan4Life 2013-05-23 12:14:39)

I think we're all onto something, even as we collectively try to work out how to pull this off.  This forum is so much fun because of the sum of all the working parts (IE. members).

I like the idea of a calendar that somebody (or somebodies) can maintain, with a link to it from a sticky post here.  If we can figure out how to do that.  Tossing out some ideas, below.

Google Calendar comes to mind (and it's free to use), though I'm not sure it's a great fit for this idea.

I poked around the web a bit.  Maybe something like Famundo would work?  More info at link below, if anyone wants to also have a look.  That option has so many features, it's probably overkill.  Just a thought, others may have better ideas.

http://www.famundo.com/org_matrix

EDIT:  I also found this:

http://freebies.about.com/od/online-cal … endars.htm

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

RickB wrote:

Maybe a host site with an editable spreadsheet type calendar with the link here would be more workable?
Rick

Apple App.  Keep it away from Flash one way or anyway, especially. 

Rock ON & Also Keep the Android Genus Faith Operating,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Jane H. wrote:

5/24/07  Sparks, Nevada     JOHN ASCUAGA'S NUGGET-CELEBRITY SHOWROOM
05/24/09 NOVE ZAMKY. SLOVAKIA        KINO MIER

Nice, Jane.  Do you have audio?

You Always Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

15 (edited by Rocket 2013-05-24 07:42:24)

Jane H. wrote:

not for either of those

Thanks for the quick answer  How does Mr. Meerkat kiss, by the way, he looks...a little shy there...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Thanks Jane.  I had the NH date, but not the guest - I added.
I found an Oslo date for 2010 as well.

Still building list at post #3.  Guess I could cut and paste the list and post it as a new reply - to bring it down and current - and delete the old one, to shorten topic pages.  Thanks for your help.

Well I was at the Hampton Beach show with Johnny A - last show of last year's spring tour.

And Jane - love the avatar, lol.  Mr M is missing all his friends.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

5-28-2006, OK, I'm a few days early on this one, but it was Sat. of Memorial Day weekend that year that I caught Joe for the 3nd time in North Lake Tahoe @ the Crystal Bay Club. Met Phil Cornell and his wife who had followed JB up from Malibu the night before and all of us dressed for summer fun @ Tahoe, but it snowed 6 inches that day, but who cared!!! Rockin' gig and heard Joe play with Bogie and Mark Epstein for the first time. My personal meet & greet is another story I've told enough times.

Simpler Times,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint