Topic: Another "know it all"

It must be tough to enjoy ANY  music when you're too busy dissecting it:
http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/article … -at,83684/

I hesitated to share this....

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: Another "know it all"

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Bill S wrote:

It must be tough to enjoy ANY  music when you're too busy dissecting it:
http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/article … -at,83684/

I hesitated to share this....

Jesus Wept - as they say. I guess anyone since Robert Johnson is a "copycat".
Don't send this to Eric Clapton for that matter....

Alan

I'm going to c&p it here because I don't want us to give him "hits" on his page.

The blues, as a genre, is unavoidably static—there are only so many ways to slice and dice its characteristic rhythms and chord progressions. A handful of artists in the rock field have come along over the past six decades and found fresh and distinctive ways to reimagine that essence. Joe Bonamassa is not one of them. At a sold-out show Saturday night at the Riverside, the current standard bearer for blues rock stuck determinedly to a stylistic framework carved out by dudes old enough to be his grandfather, with no attempt to capture a piece of that legacy for himself other than riding on sheer physical ability. However, whether intentionally or not, he preempted critics’ attempts at labeling him “unoriginal” by clearly illustrating the long and celebrated blues tradition of ripping off everyone that came before.

The opening mini acoustic set was actually promising; anyone accustomed to the clumsy efforts of most electric shredders to manipulate an unplugged guitar would have been stunned by Bonamassa’s dexterity and style, and throwing in a Tom Waits cover (“Jockey Full Of Bourbon”) never hurts. Pianist Arlen Schierbaum’s occasional solos stood out as the only instances of inspired spontaneity. Ditto for his organ work during the electric set. Bonamassa’s mixture of classical, folk, and rock textures was reminiscent at times of Steve Howe, except without the quirks and subtleties. His fingerwork was impressive, but not necessarily moving.

After five tunes, the lights went down and the musicians crept to their full-band placements for the rip-roaring “Slow Train.” Bonamassa’s electric guitar playing was vigorous, fluid, and painfully predictable; one would be hard-pressed to definitively declare a single solo he played “improvisation.” He certainly threw himself into his performance and came off like a genuine and gracious character, but the notes were rote, paint-by-numbers blues, indebted to the late Gary Moore to the point of flat-out imitation.

The moment of clarity began when the band launched into Moore’s “Midnight Blues.” That song’s cardinal riff is itself a loose bastardization of Albert King’s “Born Under A Bad Sign,” which is undoubtedly a slight alteration on a rudimentary melody from the ’40s that may or may not have materialized out of thin air. The next tune was Howlin’ Wolf’s “Who’s Been Talkin,’” but the largely middle-aged crowd could be forgiven for thinking they heard the nearly identical “Whole Lotta Love” riff. The notion of intellectual property rights is playing out in scripted fashion, night after night, on this tour.

The highlight of the electric set was “Young Man Blues,” a song that can never quite slip out of timeliness. It was immortalized on The Who’s Live At Leeds, but it was written by Mose Allison as a one-and-a-half-minute, guitar-less jazz/blues ditty—he could never have fathomed Pete Townshend’s proto-metal manhandling of the song, which Bonamassa blatantly yet lovingly mimicked. Fine, so maybe nothing in music can ever be truly original again. It’s still a bummer that a fellow as talented and genial as Bonamassa still hasn’t stumbled into a recognizable style of his own after playing guitar since he was eight years old. The atmosphere of this show was pure ’70s, and no matter which guitar Joe was handed, it sounded like Peter Frampton’s Les Paul. Even without “Baby, I Love Your Way,” it was that familiar, comfy dino-rock feeling that sold all those tickets.

I'm dumbfounded, at the least. His first sentence made me think he doesn't know the Blues, or BluesRock. I also don't understand the "improv..." complaint. But then again, he's a writer, not a musician or producer.

That's pretty funny! I got a good chuckle out of that!

....no matter which guitar Joe was handed, it sounded like Peter Frampton’s Les Paul....

That sentence tells me all I need to know about the 'author'.

What we in Ireland would call 'a right gombeen'!

Fender David Gilmour NOS Strat *"Vera"* - MIJ 1986/7 E-Series Fender '62 Re-Issue Strat *"Sevenoff"* - MIM Fender Strat *"Tortuga Azul"* - MIM Fender Frankenstrat (EMG-DG20s) *"Mary Shelly"* - MIK Fender Lite Ash Strat *"Phoenix"* - MIK 1989 E-Series Squier Strat *"Pyong"* - MIK 1990 S-Series Squier Strat *"Yang"* - Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele *"CC"* - Fender DeVille 410 *"Long John Silver Face"*

Us older than 40 folks will just continue to buy up every single ticket to every single show. Maybe next time he can listen from the curb.
Complacent with the dinorock Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Us older than 40 folks will just continue to buy up every single ticket to every single show. Maybe next time he can listen from the curb.
Complacent with the dinorock Rick

Ditto Rick, go figure

Music is good for the Soul...

cathysiler wrote:

I'm going to c&p it here because I don't want us to give him "hits" on his page.

Good idea, Cathy!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Different strokes, I guess? Very few things make me literally LOL, but that review was one of them.

Thanks for the cut-and-paste, I wasn't about the click the link.

He lost me right about here:

The blues, as a genre, is unavoidably static

And it went downhill after that.  Obviously he doesn't listen to much blues or blues-rock.

He also didn't see the same Joe Bonamassa I've seen the last four years.  The first time I saw Joe, it was amazing, and somehow he's been way better each and every time.  Keep doing what you're doing Joe, don't give these guys a second thought.  It's not worth your time.  Lots of "critics" panned Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Black Sabbath, too.

Opinions are like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ i.e. reviewer Cal Roach. If Joe sounds like Peter Frampton's Les Paul or Gary Moore's or Jimmy Page's I'm in.

I "hate" to be a critic's critic roll lol, butt...
That poison, oops I meant person, blatantly and unlovingly mimicked an idiot. yikes

In the woids of bugs Bunny, "what a maroon"!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Pretty sure you've all been "punked"!!! this guy writes for the Onion.

Say What?????????

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

15 (edited by cindyron 2013-04-29 22:28:44)

what a bozo this guy is. He is clearly insecure and unsure of his place in this world. Not going to waste my time on this tread anymore.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

...."That song’s cardinal riff is itself a loose bastardization of Albert King’s “Born Under A Bad Sign,”..."

...Gary would knock him out! ...Joe,... would laugh or roll his eyes... pfft!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Pretty sure you've all been "punked"!!! this guy writes for the Onion.

Say What?????????

J Dawg

Upon a little further review it turns out that the A.V. Club is published by The Onion, but is not a satirical publication as is The Onion. So perhaps Cal Roach may be full of himself, but hey, opinions are like a$$holes, everybodies got one. I for one don't really need to raise my blood pressure over this in the least. I know where I stand on Joe's talent and that's all that matters to me. Please stew on!!!

Think for Yourself,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

18 (edited by Rocket 2013-04-30 01:00:48)

Please J Dawg, for replacing the reviewers enter stain meant diatribunal with our own Entertainment's Stake storyline,...police 'splain awl dat! smile  Oops you already did above ^^^

If Joe is paint-by-numbers Blues, I've been re-elected Pope! hmm  And, I've never known a paint-by-numbers to be highly valued on "Antiques Roadshow", let alone in it's own time, so just a bit of incongruity there given Joe's incredible success(es), still going and going and going and growing...

Bump, worry ye not, this nimblenutz isn't smart-classed enough to know even Robert Johnson copped from Willie Brown and Charley Patton...

Something old, something knew, something borrowed, something REALLY Blues-ok, I just heard wedding bells ringing from Peter Frampton's Les Paul...

Last I checked kids to great-grandparents get pretty involved into dinosaur anything, from cartoons and toys to drawings and fossils, you know, real rock to the bone material! 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”