Re: Hobbies... Other than obsessing over everything related to Joe :)

"Wow! That is so cool! Do they cost a lot to use? There is a small, somewhat lame zip line course in Western Maryland that costs quite a bit and doesn't have near the features that you describe ( the platforms are on poles, not trees, and you pass by a few trees every now and then) I guess if we ever go to Germany we will have to check one out."

No need to come to Germany. The business I started with in the UK GoApe is building them in the US now. Here is the link to their Facebook page. My mate started GoApe in the UK in 2001 and I joined his then small team in 2002. Helped him build his 2nd, 3rd and 4th courses. Now he has over 33 courses I think in the UK alone. The US thing started a couple of 3 years ago. I think there are already 2 courses, but more planned.

Entry for my course is 20 Euros for an adult. It take about 2hours, sometimes more to get around. 1 tour of the park, with the energy expended is normally enough for most folks.

GoApe in the Uk is more expensive, entry is over 25 Sterling, I think. I'm not sure of the US prices. Check out the Website/FB page and see.

It's good fun. Not a massive climbing challenge as such, but fun just the same.

Regards
MikeH

http://www.facebook.com/GoApeUSA

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Thanks for the info Mike, it looks like their first one was built right here in Maryland. About 1 1/2 hours away from us. It looks way better than the one out at Deep Creek in western MD, and costs about the same. We will definitely have to check it out one of these weekends.

~Natasha

guido wrote:

As many already know (and some have argued about/because), I fly fish.

...hang gliding is easier and infinitely more controllable!

...Jane ...WD40 is great for preventing your chisels from going rusty!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

22 (edited by guido 2012-09-11 20:14:02)

Pete The Cabby wrote:
guido wrote:

Regarding hang gliding......not really. I find the square tail of a brookie excellent at directional control and the dorsal fin superb at catching the best current and seam. Although I have had a few problems when applying too much pressure.

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

23 (edited by Pete The Cabby 2012-09-11 23:57:53)

guido wrote:
Pete The Cabby wrote:
guido wrote:

Regarding hang gliding......not really. I find the square tail of a brookie excellent at directional control and the dorsal fin superb at catching the best current and seam. Although I have had a few problems when applying too much pressure.

...nice reply! ...must get up in the loft and get the gear down sometime ...i love night fishing best ...but then i'm a 'night' person! wink

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

It's not a hobby but a way of life.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6818 … 5d4b_b.jpg

Spider wrote:

It's not a hobby but a way of life.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6818 … 5d4b_b.jpg

Yes it is!

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i41 … 020823.jpg

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

I would say I'm a crafty sort of woman.  Dabble in quite a few things.

My current project is making a quilt for the 3rd grandchild.  Made one for the first two and her's is due from grandma.

Jewelery making.  I would say I have a bead addiction.

Wood working and tole painting.  I initially did the tole painting and decided I could cut out my own wood shapes so the hubby went out and bought me a scroll saw, power sander and jig saw.

Some floral arranging.  Wanted to be a florist when I was younger but ended up being a bookkeeper instead.  So any chance I get to make centerpieces for events I do. 

Gardening.  And a few other things that I can't think of right now.

Beautiful!!!

That fish looks ready for takeoff. wink  (And is a beaut, all right.)

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

Jane - if you spray your shells with a water based spray varnish they look "wet."  My Mom does it with all her Florida shells and they look beautiful and naturally wet.

As I am sure most of you know my major hobby is photography, but I take pictures of a lot of things besides guitar players.  My Dad taught me a lot when I was a kid about "real" cameras, including how to use a hand held light meter and I bought my first real camera when I was 15 or 16.

One of my favorite things to photograph are steam engines.  I have "special' access, including cab rides, at a small tourist railroad in Maine due to the fact that my son is a volunteer engineer there, and New England also has some other beautiful working steam locomotives that are fun to photograph.  Of course this hobby also goes along with traveling - be it day trips or longer trips - quite nicely.  "Around the Bend" is my theme song.

Links to my Flickr sets here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N05/sets/.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

Jane - if you spray your shells with a water based spray varnish they look "wet."  My Mom does it with all her Florida shells and they look beautiful and naturally wet.

As I am sure most of you know my major hobby is photography, but I take pictures of a lot of things besides guitar players.  My Dad taught me a lot when I was a kid about "real" cameras, including how to use a hand held light meter and I bought my first real camera when I was 15 or 16.

One of my favorite things to photograph are steam engines.  I have "special' access, including cab rides, at a small tourist railroad in Maine due to the fact that my son is a volunteer engineer there, and New England also has some other beautiful working steam locomotives that are fun to photograph.  Of course this hobby also goes along with traveling - be it day trips or longer trips - quite nicely.  "Around the Bend" is my theme song.

Links to my Flickr sets here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N05/sets/.

Sandy

Love the photographs Sandy, your images are really wonderful. I do some photography myself, but my Dad is a real photographer, so I always feel my stuff pales in comparison to his. He does shows with a group of other artists around the Princeton area. Have you ever done shows of your work? Your work with musicians is amazing, it definitely takes a certain expertise to capture people correctly, they are frequently moving and the lighting can be tricky.

Well, I thought I'd share some photographs of my winter woodworking project that I just finished up. I made a king size headboard out of black cherry that Phil cut down in our yard and an Amish guy bandsawed into boards for me. The boards had been drying for a few years and unfortunately became somewhat warped so they required a lot of hand and machine planing to get them straight and true. Builds up the arm muscles I guess smile. Well, the project took a little longer than expected due to a mishap with the router becoming disengaged from its table and spinning wildly out of control damaging both its fixed base and a brand new $120 router bit. I was both pissed and freaked out at the same time. Thank god I was standing to the side when it happened. Took a few weeks before I could get up the nerve to go back down into the basement. But, at least now it's done and the bed looks much more complete with its new headboard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anitrasdan … 102916244/

Looks great to me, a really good looking job.

Like I said in my first reply on this thread. The woman of my dreams. You have my undying admiration. Climbing and cutting 'em down I can do. Fashioning them into something useable - well that's takes a skill I don't have.
Thanks for sharing....

MikeH

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Wow Natasha. Most impressive skills. Helen loves the chicken house.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Thanks guys!

Oh jeez! i got lots of Hobbies: Practicing on the Guitar, Drawing, Reading, Walking, Singing, Writing Lyrics, Water coloring, Cleaning (weird right?), and that's only e few that are in mind now, but there's so much more...

Fishing for a good time starts with throwing in your line...

Jane H. wrote:

that is awesome nmagcorn. i love the fact it was from a tree from your place makes it even more special

Not sure if it's a hobby, but I make Native American inspired "artifacts" with modern, available materials.  I am not Native American, but proceed on the premise that they made things of usefulness and beauty from the materials available to them.  I would in no way want to try and "copy" a true Native American artifact.

So I have made many medicine shields for family and friends that reflect my surroundings with materials that come from significant aspects of my life.  My personal shield is made from '66 Chevy auto body cloth that depicts a scene of the moonlit waters of Lake Tahoe.  It has a traditional Thunderbird icon in the full moon, but celebrates my life here at the Lake and the many wooden boats I have upholstered, including one called the Thunderbird. Entitled "Not All Thunderbirds Fly"

I have made many artifacts to celebrate the life and gifts of Black Elk, a Oglala Holy Man of the Lakota, who's book "Black Elk Speaks" both saved and changed my life many years ago.  These include a breast plate made of pipes that are dyed rolled paper.

A tee pee made of boat cover material and trimmed in leather scraps from a boat named "Stardust"  I also made a Lakota styled dress with scalp lock trims from horses that were close to my heart, mane and tail hair.

I have had the privilege of displaying them at  a few Pow-Wows here at Lake Tahoe, and they were well received, because I wasn't trying to copy, but to express gratitude for the traditions, reflecting my own experiences.

Beside that, I have an life long devotion to horses which I have been sharing with kids thru a 4-H program I began 25 years ago.

The local kids get a cost free, hands on, comprehensive mountain horsemanship education on the last horse property in our area.

Many of the kids go on to work and earn their college money and some even go further than that working with horses.

Right now I am working on saddle bags and pack bags.  I would like to see if I can find the right equipment to upholster speakers into the saddle bags and then be able to take Joe on the trail.  I would bet that some sort of I pad/phone powered speaker system would fit the requirements, but sadly I am not very well versed in any of the new technology.   Always ready to learn something new if I need to.   Any suggestions of what might work, greatly appreciated!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo