Topic: Any Other Mounted Street Teams ?

My self and the horses in our 4-H club are all part of the Street Team, including a wild born Chincoteague Pony.

We run a small stable on donations and volunteers on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe, on the site of an old pack station.

We give a no cost mountain horsemanship program to the local kids for the past 25 years.

Joe's music came along with encouragement and hope when we had a rough time last year.

When the chips were down, it was Joe's music that got us thru it.

LOVE that he gives back thru "Keeping the Blues Alive".

We hope to help the Reno dec 7th concert a sell out!!

Tahoe Jo

Re: Any Other Mounted Street Teams ?

Nice! Welcome to the forum tahoerimriders! I haven't heard of anyone street teaming by horse, at least on this forum. Whatever gets the job done, lol.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

3 (edited by bump827 2013-04-21 10:14:54)

Welcome to the forum Jo.  We'll see you at the Beacon show in NY

Alan

Bill S wrote:

Nice! Welcome to the forum tahoerimriders! I haven't heard of anyone street teaming by horse, at least on this forum. Whatever gets the job done, lol.

The encouragement I drew from Joe's music literally gave me the strength to carry on last season when we lost our main donor.
I also loved that I could share Joe's music with everyone in our 4-H club.   Horses carry a natural music in the cadence of their gaits as they travel, especially on the street.   They also tend to attract people and questions which can make a great opportunity to speak about Joe, his music and his giving back thru "Keeping the Blues Alive".

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, I am a rank beginner when it comes to all things computer!

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

tahoerimriders wrote:
Bill S wrote:

The encouragement I drew from Joe's music literally gave me the strength to carry on last season when we lost our main donor.
I also loved that I could share Joe's music with everyone in our 4-H club.   Horses carry a natural music in the cadence of their gaits as they travel, especially on the street.   They also tend to attract people and questions which can make a great opportunity to speak about Joe, his music and his giving back thru "Keeping the Blues Alive".

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, I am a rank beginner when it comes to all things computer!

Tahoe Jo

So, since you mentioned a horse's natural cadence, the question comes to mind: Do you have a favorite Joe song to ride to?

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:
tahoerimriders wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Tahoe Jo

So, since you mentioned a horse's natural cadence, the question comes to mind: Do you have a favorite Joe song to ride to?

"The Whale That Swallowed Jonah" has been a favorite lately.   Besides on horse back, I have rigged a saddle rack that will flex all gaits and leads to sit and practice on during the winter months to keep ready for the horses when they come back from winter pasture.  I "ride" the whole PBS show from the Beacon from my DVR as well as practice my own brand of "Cowgirl" aerobics in the saddle , on the rack to all of Joe's music.

Tahoe Jo

Maybe your Chincoteague pony has heard Joe before - we go to the neighboring island of Assateague every year camping and there has been plenty of excellent Joe music played there on many occassions.

Welcome to the forum.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

Maybe your Chincoteague pony has heard Joe before - we go to the neighboring island of Assateague every year camping and there has been plenty of excellent Joe music played there on many occassions.

Welcome to the forum.

Sandy

GG, ( registered name is "Whisper's Wind Dancer") was foaled in 2007.   She is quite the character!   She was bought at the pony swim and shipped to Reno, Nv where she was a barn baby, hand raised and got pretty spoiled as the Grandkids lost interest.

She was given to me the end of March 2012, just coming 5 years old.  A real challenge of a lifetime  working with horses.  Probably the smartest horse I have ever had.  It took the whole summer last year to change her attitude and disrespect of people.  We just finally showed her that bad attitude and behavior just gets you more work, no punishment involved, she makes the choice.

We have her going under saddle now and she has proven very easy to train.  She craves attention from people almost more than treats.  She seems to think that being ridden is just getting attention with someone on her back!

She loves to get out and about on the street where I would hand walk and work her last year.  She is very brave about all new situations.   At the same time that I got GG, I was fighting thyroid cancer and our club lost it's funding.

Joe's music was newly discovered by me  about the same time as well.  Joe's music became a real inspiration and strength to draw on.  I can't even begin to find the words to say.  That and his heart for giving back thru his non-profit, "Keeping the Blues Alive".
Not just a rare talent with a well developed work ethic, but a kind and generous heart at an age when it all could quickly become "all about me".   SO RARE to find that quality of character in any sphere!   You really feel that when he plays.

Joe's music and GG's transformation went hand in hand, a natural fit.  When I discovered the Street Team and signed up, I just KNEW GG was a Bonamaniac too!

Now I understand why if she started her life listening to Joe long before I did.  So great to here your experiences on Assateague Island!!   Keep up the good work, starting these remarkable animals right.    What time of year do you go out there?

If you "pony watch"  GG's dam is "Whisper of Living Legend" and her sire is "Courtney's Boy"  I would love to go there someday.
My trip this May is to see my daughter, who lives and works in NYC.  Just fell into place that I get to see Joe at the Beacon Theatre.

Thanks Sandy for the welcome to the forum, sorry if this is too long of a post for this format.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

9 (edited by samjp4 2013-04-22 15:25:09)

Not too long at all.  We usually go to Assateague in September (do a lot of praying to the hurrican gods), but this year a friend of mine from the UK is coming over for some Joe shows in Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore in May and after that I am taking her to Assateague for a few days.  There is a place you can rent popups from (usually have our own stuff but can't this time).  The MD/VA herds are kept separate - VA auctions off the little ones every year, MD uses horse birth control to keep the herd at a safe size.  It is a magical place.  Have fun at the Beacon shows.

Sandy

P.S.  Lots of pictures of Assateague here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 753837196/  Lots of Joe pictures, too

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

Not too long at all.  We usually go to Assateague in September (do a lot of praying to the hurrican gods), but this year a friend of mine from the UK is coming over for some Joe shows in Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore in May and after that I am taking her to Assateague for a few days.  There is a place you can rent popups from (usually have our own stuff but can't this time).  The MD/VA herds are kept separate - VA auctions off the little ones every year, MD uses horse birth control to keep the herd at a safe size.  It is a magical place.  Have fun at the Beacon shows.

Sandy

P.S.  Lots of pictures of Assateague here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 753837196/  Lots of Joe pictures, too

Lovely pictures!   You can go to www.chincoteague.com/ponies-by-name.html and see GG's parents.  Her mom is the last of the mares and listed as just Whisper., Her sire Courtney's Boy is about 1/2 way down the stallion list.

Given the fact that you have already introduced the herd to Joe, and that the pony came to me at the same time as Joe's music, who is to say that it wasn't GG's coming that brought Joe's music to me after all.

Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo