Topic: MN. Zoo Concert 9/06/07

The show started with two good warmups. As soon as Joe hit the stage light rain (sprinkles). Oh yea! This Show is outside at the MN. Zoo. Joe and the band have an over head tarp (or some sort of cover) and maybe the last 3 rows might have a little over head coverage. There is a mention of ponchos for a buck before Joe starts. By the start of Joes 3rd song the rain is coming down pretty good and there is some lightening. Joe decides to live to play another day and says "we'll be back" (didn't care to be a lightening rod) and I don't blame him.  "BUT" there is NO place to go for shelter nearby while you wait (maybe the bathroom) and they make you check your umbrella at the entrance (does me no good at an out door concert). By now I'm soaked/cold and miserable and I'm not waiting in the rain for anyone to come back on stage (if they ever did?). I WILL NOT return to the MN. ZOO for a concert.

Re: MN. Zoo Concert 9/06/07

Sorry to hear about the rain.   sad   It has been raining cats and dogs here tonight and EXTREME LIGHTNING........much better to be safe than sorry.......outdoor events are fun, but you always have the weather to contend with.....hope you get to see Joe again soon!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Just getting home from Joe's show at the MN Zoo. Joe did come back and play and what's amazing is how many people stuck it out to the end. I'll post a full review tomorrow or maybe not until Saturday.

He sure did come back and for those that stayed, what an awesome show!!!

This was our 1st-time ever seeing Joe and we were so impressed with his talent and the rest of the band, as well.
His own written songs were excellent but then hearing his renditions of Led Zep, ZZ Top, Deep Purple & others made the evening even more spectacular. His "solo" encore with an acoustic guitar had the crowd standing and jaws were dropped in awe!!
WOW, can this dude rip a guitar!! Unreal!!
This young Joe could be the next Steve Morse...would love to see these two team up some day!

Hope you come back to MN again soon Joe...hopefully the weather will be better next time!
Thanks for a wonderful night!

Thanks for joining up PatCat... A little rain never hurt anyone tough...Nice superlatives and glad you enjoyed your Bonabaptism, literally "All wet".

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Ditto PatCat. Tonight was my first Bonamassa show and what a doozy. What a great way to close out the season at the Zoo (my 8th show this season in this my 7th year of shows at the Zoo). Zeppelin is my favorite so to hear Joe rip into Dazed and Confused with his amazing talent was awesome.

This was also the only time in 7 years I've seen somebody blow through the 10:30 curfew and not get told to wrap it up and exit the stage. I will definitely see Joe next time he comes to town, hopefully back at the Zoo next year. Monte Montgomery was great too.

As a side note to to Mchillin, some of the best shows I've seen were when it has rained. I don't know if it is because the artists give their all for the die hard fans that stick it out or what. I remember 2 or 3 years ago, Little Feat played in the rain until they blew out their equipment and it was the best I've ever seen them. Definitely give the Zoo another chance. It's a great venue, even without the rain.

Went to the Minnesota Zoo to see Joe last night.  Yea there was rain some of us got wet.  Sure there was a delay but the delay was worth waiting for.  We've been to so many outdoor concerts, it's always a crap shoot for weather.  Those fair weather "fans" missed an excellant show.  I'm still amazed at his ablities.  Joe's encore was outstanding!

Welcome to all you "newbies". The fact that 3 new members were moved enough to come here and post speaks volumes re Joe's talent. Glad the "Bonabaptisms" happened. mgallo, I saw Little Feat on a rainy day that kept most away and it was a monster show. I hope all of you keep visiting. Cathy

A warm welcome from Holland to all you new Joe fans on  this  wonderful forum with real music and specially Bonamassalovers!

Andre Wittebroek.

Hey Guys and Gals:

This Zoo show brought in some new fans!

Thanks for joining the forum, and looking around.

We are always looking for new converts to help spread the word.

RockinRon

Two kinds of women in this world. Theres naughty and there's nice
Any man will tell you that one is a virtue
And the other is a Vice.
Warren Haynes-Inside Outside Women Blues #3-By a Thread

Wow, 3 new believers despite the rain!!   You truly are dedicated fans.  Welcome to the forum.  smile

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Bonabaptismic Lightnin', Sloe Gin & rain, gonna wash away your pain...

it's_all_about_apples wrote:

Wow, 3 new believers despite the rain!!   You truly are dedicated fans.  Welcome to the forum.  smile

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

First of all, welcome to the new members of the forum that were at the show! I know Joe has got a lot of fans in the Twin Cities and surrounding areas and it's nice to see more on the forum.
It certainly was a memorable evening at the MN Zoo Amphitheater in Apple Valley. I knew going in there was a chance of rain, but hoped it would hold off. Well, it didn't. But it was far from a washout and Joe, Bogie, Carmine and Rick delivered another splendid performance. The setlist was:

Bridge To Better Days
Walk In My Shadow
So Many Roads
Mountain Time (Intro only)
  Rain Delay
Mountain Time
Another Kind Of Love
Sloe Gin
Just Got Paid w/ Bogie's drum solo
encores
High Water Everywhere
Woke Up Dreaming

The MN Zoo Amphitheater is a 1500 seat open air theater that's utilized as a venue for music during the summer. It looked like a near capacity crowd was on hand. I would estimate close to 1400 in attendance. I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of younger people there. Easily the youngest crowd I've seen at one of Joe's shows.
Crosby Loggins was added to the bill and opened with a nice solo set of some easy listening rock. He sang and played acoustic guitar, even borrowed one of Joe's Takamines for his last song. He looks and sounds a lot like his father Kenny. He mentioned he just signed with Joe's label and will be releasing a new CD later this month.
Next was Monte Montgomery and his two piece backing band. I had heard some good things about Monte before the show so I was really looking forward to his set. Let me tell you, this guy is amazing! Hard to describe his sound because it's so unique. He plays a beat up acoustic with no pick, sometimes a slide, and with a very aggressive style. Really fun to watch. I highly recommend catching this guys show if you get a chance.
Now comes Joe's turn. You could see the lightning building in intensity especially during Monte's set. By the time Joe took the stage there was a lot of lightning, but no thunder, so I thought the storms and any rain were far enough away that it wouldn't be a problem. It started to sprinkle a little bit just as Joe started and gradually built to a pretty steady downpour as he was playing the intro to "Mountain Time". Joe decided at that point to take a break, which was a wise move because their gear was starting to get wet. We heard a few shouts from people that wanted Joe to just keep playing, but there was no way he could. Me and Renee came prepared for rain so we just waited it out in our front row seats with our rain gear on. The crew used the break to move or better protect some of the band's gear. Finally, the rain let up to a light drizzle and Joe and the band retook the stage after about 25 min. I would guess. I was amazed at how many people were still there. It seemed like the vast majority stuck it out. The great thing was, after the rain the crowd really came alive. A lot of people left their seats and came down to the front of the stage so me and Renee stood up and joined them. I much prefer standing to sitting when watching Joe anyway so I was all for it! The rain continued, wavering between a drizzle and a steady downpour at times, but it certainly didn' dampen our spirits. It was actually kind of cool! Joe was totally on fire especially during "Woke Up Dreaming". He was so hot he was steaming - you could literally see the steam wafting off his body. It was an incredible site!
Probably my favorite thing about the whole evening was that I got a chance to hear Joe play that beautiful intro to "Mountain Time" twice in one night each time with a little different twist. Always sends a chill down my spine! Another highlight was "Sloe Gin". The conditions really fit the mood of that song. Joe himself even gestured toward the sky as he sang "And I'm standing in the rain". It was fantastic!
Needless to say, it was a bit of a challenge taking photos, keeping the camera halfway dry etc., so I didn't take as many as I would have hoped, but I got some and will post them when I get a chance.
One suggestion for the promoters and sponsors for the shows at the MN Zoo is to get a larger shelter/cover for over the stage. The one they have doesn't extend beyond the stage much if at all and doesn't afford enough protection against the rain. The rain wasn't that big of a problem for me as a fan, but it's a not good for the musicians. Also, extra shelters for the bands gear would be nice. They've got plenty of room to put one side stage.

Great review Lee.  Any pictures of the show will be great, even without getting "steamy" ones.  Another example of great professionalism.  When you really need a crew, you want one that comes through. Nice work guys!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

It sounds like perseverence paid off! I would expect Joe fans to stick it out, but kudos to the people who had never seen Joe before. You stayed and were able to soak in Joe's talent along with the rain.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hey Lee, been waiting for your indept review of the Zoo show.  Very descriptive and sounds like an another awesome show.  Venues should indeed have adequate shelter for the musicans, it's a no brainer.   Some performers will not play a play venue unless there is some type of cover. Look forward to your pictures!

Music is good for the Soul...

Thanks for all the warm welcomes from Joe's fans around the world and the Platinum posters. I am indeed new to Joe's music, but that's the beauty of seeing a lot of shows at the Zoo (especially packages) - you get to experience new artists. If they are good enough for Sue McLean, they are good enough for me. I'm definitely a Bonaamassaite now.

Lee - great review. Are you a local or a traveling fan. Where were you? I was in center section, 3rd row on the aisle stage left (my same seats for the last 7 seasons at the Zoo). Were you the guy with that monster lens taking pictures from the aisle?

I have seen Joe's DVD (from Indy) and I heard (from his Dad, I think) that he was playing SRV note for note at age 6 1/2. Beyond amazing! Side note - I saw SRV at his second to the last show, the night before the crash. What a huge loss for the music world.

P.S. Saw another great guitarist tonight Alex Lifeson and Rush at the Xcel. Awsome show, as you can well imagine.

I'll definitely be watching for Joe to come to town again and keeping up on the website.

Take care for now all.
MG

18 (edited by Lee 2007-09-10 10:55:02)

mgallo wrote:

Lee - great review. Are you a local or a traveling fan. Where were you? I was in center section, 3rd row on the aisle stage left (my same seats for the last 7 seasons at the Zoo). Were you the guy with that monster lens taking pictures from the aisle?

I'm local. I live in the south metro, Farmington to be exact. We had seats in row A of the center section just left of center, so we were actually very close to you. You may remember my girlfriend Renee - she was the one wearing the poncho with Mickey Mouse on the back. We're huge fans of Joe. Before the show at the zoo we drove up to Thief River Falls to see him on Aug. 25 and we just got done seeing Joe at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA and the Redstone Room in Davenport, IA. Now it's just a short break before more shows in early November.
I wasn't the guy you are referring to. I think he was a professional photographer.